U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM

332 posts, read 320,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Try top 1%. The market is bad right now, and going to a 4th-tier school like those is a very poor choice.
Texas Tech is 3rd tier....not that it really makes any difference in this economic climate. I would suggest going to a law school that is in the region you would like to work in. You will find a lot of local employers are alumnus of a near-by school and that will give you an advantage.
But seriously, I strongly recommend against attending any law school right now. I am an attorney (fortunately, a gainfully emplyed one) but I know many attorneys and recent graduates who are not finding work in this job market. Add to that the fact that most have staggering student loan debt, and it's just not a good investment. The real catch 22 is that their law degree works against them in even finding jobs outside the legal profession. They are considered "overqualified" or are viewed as failures because they are attorneys who aren't desirable to legal employers for some reason. Also, some non-legal employers fear that if they hire someone with a JD, the person will leave the minute they get a job offer in the legal profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM

109 posts, read 102,269 times
If you are not from Texas, you cannot attend a state school at state tuition prices. Thee cost is much higher, closer to private school rates. Also, only a small percentage of out of state applicants are accepted.

Then you have to consider that no one can find jobs in the legal field and that plenty of lawyers are out of work, though some get paralegal or temp work. I am sure you have read the recent articles about the crisis in legal market in the US. if you already have your LLB I would jut try to find work with that, doesn't look to overqualified like with a bachelors and JD. You could do an LLM and work in most states an (LLM U.S. Law for Foreign Lawyers, but only if it is from certain countries like the UK, Australia, etc) then again finding a decent job is another issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Last edited by FiddleDeeD; 02-09-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Unread 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,932,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
If you are not from Texas, you cannot attend a state school at state tuition prices. Thee cost is much higher, closer to private school rates. Also, only a small percentage of out of state applicants are accepted.

The first year you don't qualify for in-state tuition, but Texas isn't hard to get it the next 2 years.

And public law schools prefer about 50/50 in/out of state in Texas, except for UT, which is about 60% in-state.

Unread 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM

20 posts, read 20,574 times
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I am taking in everything and hopefully I will make the best decision for me and my family.

Last edited by mimismith9; 02-09-2011 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: grammar

Unread 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM

2,532 posts, read 1,623,971 times
What about the curve-ball of doing more critical care and being a nurse anesthetist? Most programs are 27 months and it's a good living and fulfilling.

Unread 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,038,059 times
I would agree with the above posters who say to NOT enroll in law school. I have many friends both established attorneys and new graduates who advise against becoming a lawyer now. One of my friends graduated in 2009 from BYU law and can't get a job. He finally came to town and got on with an immigration attorney making $40K a year :-O
Definitely not worth it. Stay in nursing. You'll make more.

Unread 02-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The first year you don't qualify for in-state tuition, but Texas isn't hard to get it the next 2 years.

And public law schools prefer about 50/50 in/out of state in Texas, except for UT, which is about 60% in-state.
Absolutely not true.

For all Texas public universities, but this statement is from UT (and this is a new law, it used to be less)

"Non-residents would be wise to submit their applications as early as possible, as the school cannot legally matriculate more than 35% non-resident students".

However, they typically do not admit that many and when they do, they are top candidates. Admissions criteria is pretty tight at good schools.

I don't know why someone with a reputable LLB would go do another law degree when u can just do an LLM.

Unread 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not true.

For all Texas public universities, but this statement is from UT (and this is a new law, it used to be less)

"Non-residents would be wise to submit their applications as early as possible, as the school cannot legally matriculate more than 35% non-resident students".

However, they typically do not admit that many and when they do, they are top candidates. Admissions criteria is pretty tight at good schools.

I don't know why someone with a reputable LLB would go do another law degree when u can just do an LLM.

They admit far more than that. Not all of them go.

From UT -

Is it true that the Law School only admits 35% of its students from out of state?
No, the Law School may matriculate no more than 35% non-resident students. However, each year the Law School extends offers of admission to several hundred non-resident applicants.

Sorry, I was off by 5%. BFD.

Unread 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Actually you said 50/50, then 60 percent so not only was it an incorrect statement, the math is wrong too.

Thanks for apologizing for your error. :-)

Unread 02-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Actually you said 50/50, then 60 percent so not only was it an incorrect statement, the math is wrong too.

Thanks for apologizing for your error. :-)

I said other public universities, not UT...when I looked at them, they didn't mention a 35% rule. UT has always favored in-state applicants more.

But if I were to consider law schools in Texas, I wouldn't even consider any public options beyond UT or UofH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas