Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
The snobbery here is more centered around whether you live above or below 635. There are quite a few people who assume anyone living north of 635 might as well be in Kansas. There are people here who think anyone buying in McKinney or Frisco is just plain dumb. But all that is nothing compared to snobs from the Westside of LA....
Works both way, unfortunately. I've had people from my friends' neighborhood in Frisco ask me if I'm always terrified of crime, living south of 635. Most are not from Texas originally and truly think everything south of 635 is ghetto. Saw the same thing growing up from people in my own area (North Dallas, PH area) when meeting people from North Oak Cliff, Kessler Park. They had never ventured there and had no idea how nice that area is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
There is nothing worse than a San Fran snob. And nothing better than putting him in his place.

Years and years ago I showed up at a wedding and then reception in Marin with my Army roommate, R. We both had our Army Dress Blues on and looked really good. Both of us were Sergeants on the list for promotion and full of **** and vinegar.

One of the guests assumed we neither had degrees and because we were in the Army, were somehow illiterate. My roommate had an English Lit degree (magna) from Harvard and I had mine in Math (magna) from UT. Both of us had taken Greek and Latin in HS. He had grown up in Japan. We were both nearing the end of taking advanced classes at DLI and were at the top of our respective classes. I was also taking grad classes at night while he was moonlighting, keeping his 18D skills fresh, in the ER in local San Fran hospitals.

Keep in mind that San Fran 20+ years ago was a much more diverse city than it is now with many, many people from all over the world living and working together. You literally could walk down the street and hear ten different languages in one mile. That wedding reception was no different.

Of course, in our dress blues in Marin, we stood out like Martians at a Baptist Convention. But with all the diversity, it was just one thing among many. And that was our plan. We just walked around the reception chatting people up when one of the guests fixated on both of us. He made some off comment about Rednecks and Army drooling idiots. He was a bit drunk and we tried to deflect him and politely move on.

R and I chatted back and forth in Latin about him and had a laugh. By then he had the attention of a number of guests and asked what we were speaking and we told him it was Latin.

He said that there was no way we knew Latin. R agreed with him and repeated it in Greek. That got a laugh.
And the guest said no way it was Greek. I agreed with him and repeated in it Russian. That got some laughs.
And the guest said it was not Russian, so Robert agreed and said it in Mandarin. That got some more laughs.
And the guest said it was not Mandarin. So I agreed and said it in Spanish. Which got some more laughs.
And then R told the guy that he would tell him in Japanese. More laughs.
And then I said it in in English. Everyone laughed.

Except for the guest. Because I had said his fly was open.

Of course, he said it wasn't.

It was.

And after everyone laughed, he looked.

It was.

The icing on the cake was sitting with the bride's grandmother and chatting with her in Spanish next to the table with the guest. OMG. She wanted to stab a knife in the man's back for making a scene at her grandbaby's wedding and would not stop talking about it. And of course she wanted me to dance with her gorgeous nieces...which I did..right in front of the guest..

And another was the bride's dad who introduced both of us to the reception, saying R was the most talented ER doc he had ever worked with and how he hoped R would get a real MD as he already had a Harvard one. R was already a legend for his charm and made everyone laugh for a few minutes..

While the guest fumed..

Gotta love it.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM

50 posts, read 98,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Works both way, unfortunately. I've had people from my friends' neighborhood in Frisco ask me if I'm always terrified of crime, living south of 635. Most are not from Texas originally and truly think everything south of 635 is ghetto. Saw the same thing growing up from people in my own area (North Dallas, PH area) when meeting people from North Oak Cliff, Kessler Park. They had never ventured there and had no idea how nice that area is.
I could see someone saying that about people living south of 30, but not 635, which would include Preston Hollow and the Park Cities... I still don't think a lot of people know anything of Kessler Park--I think it's probably the most scenic part of Dallas...

Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
There is nothing worse than a San Fran snob. And nothing better than putting him in his place.
By outsnobbing him.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
I could see someone saying that about people living south of 30, but not 635, which would include Preston Hollow and the Park Cities... I still don't think a lot of people know anything of Kessler Park--I think it's probably the most scenic part of Dallas...
I agree with TXNGL, when I worked in Plano I was asked about gun shot noise a few different times. It always made me laugh. I think one co-worker literally had a vision of a prostitute on every corner with pimps ridding around, and gangs hanging out everywhere. I've lived here in Oak Lawn since 2009, and have been a regular in this neighborhood years before that. I have never been a victim of crime, never been robbed, never been jumped, never been followed, and never felt unsafe. Yes there are panhandlers, crack heads, and mentally ill homeless, but they are mostly harmless. I see panhandlers all over DFW, so I don't know why people get so fearful when they encounter them in Dallas proper.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Exactly, but they did. It hurt my feelings, actually, but they really didn't know better.

Agree about Kessler and that area. Just beautiful and gorgeous homes.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 9,067 times
Let's just face it. As our world become more modernized, we are likely to think more is good and success is key to earning more. I think societies these days are becoming like that and less humble or modest. Where can we find these humble people? Typically, I see them going to Walmart or some far away place away from any main city. Another thing I have noticed is from the oldest generations to the upcoming generations there is a mixture of class, status, beliefs, and ideas. But really there are all not blended well enough. I see each generation battling or competing each other. It is a phase where we go through pride and hope for success for our generation to which we represent. As a result, we tend to focus on ourselves and not our love ones like our beloved baby boomer parents. We must seek to care and also spend as much time as we can to make some wonderful memories.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,067 times
I wish Dallas is closer to Houston so if I feel laid-back and culturally hyped to go to China Town, I would be in Houston, or if I feel career driven and want to look my best everywhere I go.. I would be in Dallas.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droco84 View Post
I wish Dallas is closer to Houston so if I feel laid-back and culturally hyped to go to China Town, I would be in Houston, or if I feel career driven and want to look my best everywhere I go.. I would be in Dallas.
Have you ever been to Koreatown in Dallas?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
With all the Californians moving to DFW, I really didn't realize there was a difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas