Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

509 posts, read 1,257,298 times

Advertisements

I know you cyber friends are quite knowledgeable and was wondering if you'd agree that Lowe's has good prices on engineered wood floors or would you recommend someone else. Thanks ya'll for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM

136 posts, read 839,801 times
Ummm...it depends...when you think about Wood floor cost, do not forget to factor in cost of Mouldings - Quarter Rounds, Trims, etc which are expensive. Here is what I did:
1. Identified a good BRANDED wood floor of required mm thickness at HD
2. Got hold of a contractor and asked him to provide measurements & estimates for material
3. Went to different stores (Lowes, HD, LumberLiquidators, etc) and worked out the total material cost - wood floor + moulding with each. Remember I was buying a branded floor and hence was comparing apples-to-apples.
4. Key considerations were (a) sufficient in-stock availability and (b) ability to return unopened/unused material
5. I finally went with a store (believe it was Floor & Decor) off 635 and Royal which provided lowest rates. My contractor recommended this store as well.

Hope this helped.

Carol

Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Try calling Ben Ashmore. He has been doing the floors for my entire extended family for 25+ years and is the cheapest reputable person out there. My mom once asked why he hadn't raised his prices in years and his general answer was "I make enough money at these prices."

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,253,509 times
I was going to tell you to compare, like Caroldixit did. Then, I was going to tell you to at least get estimates from locals. The big box stores do such a great job of marketing that they are the low-cost leaders and that they can install with no sweat. In my experience as a designer, go with someone who does floors for a living- they know the most and have seen everything (if they have been around a bit, anyway). A lot of times, the mom-and-pop operation will come in with lower bids than big boxes. And I would rather give the work to a local outfit. But make sure they are licensed, bonded, insured and check up on their references.

I should also state that I am not from TX nor do I live there (yet! ha!), so maybe the install teams and prices ARE significantly better at big boxes there...not sure on that. But here in CA, they are almost always higher than a local crew and they don't really carry a wide variety of product, either. Your choices are very limited...and there is some amazing product out there!

Good luck with your wood floors. They are an investment, but so worth it in both resale value and beauty.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,597,783 times
I know someone who does a good job if you want to DM me, I'll provide the name.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,349,894 times
I just had floors installed. Was not impressed by Lowes from the start, so we ended up going with Peeks. They were really good.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM

509 posts, read 1,257,298 times
Thank you all soooo much!!! It helps a lot to get everyone's experience on this cause obviously we want to make sure we don't pay too much.
We plan on installing it in our dining room and about half of the living room; although who knows, I may just convince dh to do all of the living room. We're hoping that with our tax refund we'll have enough.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
you might also check out web site called gardenweb.com
the home forum
there is forum for flooring and the building a house forum or the remodeling forum all would have info about what floor brands you might want to consider
you can post a query if you want some specific info about types of flooring/brands--
contractors, flooring people, homeowners all post there-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: