U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM

14 posts, read 30,759 times

Advertisements

She is very nice but not beyond appreciating extra few thousands ... anyways, some posters here have impressive real estate IQ. BTW I just got a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry good offer from a motivated seller in Gleneagles, let's see ... I'm more inclined to put an offer on that house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

32,689 posts, read 51,366,591 times
if you are shopping the market for the house whose price you like the best
vs
shopping the market for the house you like at the best price
then I don't think our advice is really germaine
your objective is price--not neighborhood or other features and something none of us can really quantify for you

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

37,059 posts, read 41,257,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if you are shopping the market for the house whose price you like the best
vs
shopping the market for the house you like at the best price
then I don't think our advice is really germaine
your objective is price--not neighborhood or other features and something none of us can really quantify for you
Some people will buy any piece of junk as long as they get a great deal. The deal is more important then a quality house.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

yes--and I don't know that thinking about the 20K you shaved off the price is what makes a house liveable day to day...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 30,759 times
I narrowed it down to few houses that I like in the neighbourhoods of choice and now I'm trying to figure out the best deal. All of these houses are really nice but none is a dream house so I'm in a good bargaing position. I'm not the foreclosure hunter type ... just hoping to save some of my hard earned money for rainy days.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM

83 posts, read 321,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't know about comps for that specific area--and comps aren't always the last word anyway...
you need to see if some of the comps are result of special circumstances--foreclosure, short sale, divorce, death--forces that caused owners to sell at price they probably did not really want to...
sometimes that really is difficult to tell--threat of foreclosure can put some people in that position--
that is why having a RE agent who does know that area is worth the commission

and some houses will still carry a premium value to some buyers--it is putting the right house and buyer together that is the trick...

So just looking at the details on the houses in that subdivision this is what I would say as a shopper--

The house you are asking about is one of three listed in MLS on site I use--
and is middle of the three--for price and size---and been up for sale for 5 mo or so

the backyard offers privacy from neighbors --although there is not much useable space past the pool--
the neighboring houses don't look directly into the backyard and being on that creek means the house behind you is farther away and screened by trees
in summer I imagine it is almost complete--that is a rare commodity in many areas--even in this price point-- .........................
Amazing, awesome info from just the listings (and the pictures in the listings)...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM

I think I am pretty good at using MLS photos and map feature to analyze houses---I can almost draw a floorplan because so many houses are tract designs and while I may not have been in THAT house --depending on the age and builder--I likely have been in one similar...

I spend almost 4 years off and on house shopping for new house--
we just wanted different house--no deadline to move--
changed our minds several times about where we wanted to move and what type of floorplan/must haves we wanted...and price--we had to educate ourselves about what our price point really was--and eventually raised it by 100K

but I do think I can break down what makes some homes more desireable/marketable than others in general---
you never know what will work with every set of buyers--and sometimes a house you think would never sell makes someone very happy...

house across the street from ours in our previous neighborhood had been bought/sold probably 5 or 6 times--went into foreclosure once back in the 90s--and one of the owners converted the garage to game/play room and parked on the pull through driveway...
someone else bought the house--did more remodeling, put in pool, and a detached garage (to sell the house)...but also blended two small bedrooms into one large one--
we thought that was kiss of death for finding a new buyer when it was on the market and it did sit there for months--but finally the nurse at the local elementary school and her husband bought it--
they did not want a house with extra bedrooms because they said they wanted no company sleeping over...
go figure--match made in heaven...
and they are such nicer people than the ones they bought from...

Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,211,519 times
Offer what YOU feel it's worth to you? Either you will pay a certain price for it or you're really not interested????

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM

85 posts, read 145,298 times
I went to one of their open houses when it first came on market at $626,000. It is a great house on a wooded creek-culdesac lot. It is ideally located in an upscale sub-division near highways, hospital, golf course, plano west schools, private schools, shopping, park, arbor hills nature preserve and willow bend area. It has ideal size and perfect floor plan. Only issue was that it was overpriced at that time and owner was not willing to come down. It is a steal at $559,000. If you can bring owner to $549,000 then you can spend $10,000 to do minor updates and sell it at $649,000 after few years when market picks up. Go for it!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,284 times
I live on Pelican Bay so I wander through all of these neighbourhoods and really like this home and one before it. The other house looks colonial and this house has meditranian or spanish style so they look more distinguished among brick and stone homes. Another home on this culdesac is under contract for $639,000. Cheapest property in this subdivision is listed for $429,000 becuse it has strange wall papers, old countertops, less square footage and no creek views. so house you are looking at is the best deal. Do check with the realtor because I heard that this house is now under contract so guess you missed the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas