Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 AM

229 posts, read 606,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaebie View Post
But what about the hundreds of people who are working at small business that will close because of Wal Mart? People who actually take pride at the business and have fun with the people they work with?

For the money people who spend money at Wal Mart, did you think they did not buy their stuff somewhere else before?

As for the people getting welfare checks, Wal Mart will hire people with retail experience before hiring these people. Check other communities with their hiring statistics.
From what I've seen, small businesses don't usually employ many people in order to keep costs low. At the same time, they have to price their items higher in order to maintain comparable margins to Wal-Mart. In this area, I think the subject is moot because I don't see very many mom and pop stores to begin with.

Say what you want about Wal-Mart, but the chain has enabled many lower income families to buy common goods that they may not have been able to afford otherwise. A lot of us take it for granted, but spending $20 vs $30 bucks on a few things can make a world of difference for a poorer family. It sucks about the small businesses, but that's capitalism. However, I feel like many small business owners have the drive and ability to adapt to changing situations, and will still prosper (albeit in other ways).

I understand Wal-Mart will hire people with experience over people without experience, but who's to say that people on welfare checks don't have some prior experience? Also, unqualified people will have the chance at employment if there are not enough qualified people to go around.

In conclusion, I think Wal-Mart will do a world of good for the areas in which it's opening stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM

419 posts, read 998,070 times
I think that is a positive sign for South Dallas.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Are they any better off getting abused by Wal-Mart for minimum wage?
But they'll be standing in line for hours to get those jobs, and overjoyed that if they get it. Abuse? Get real. If 10% of the people who apply get jobs, that'll be better than average. No one is forcing them to work there.

What a ridiculous post.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It is good that they will be bringing sales tax revenue to areas that don't have much
it is just bad that WalMart has the bad habit of grinding down vs raising up
WalMart is about squeezing the most out of its suppliers, workers, the local govt with tax incentives most of the time...
in many ways WalMart is a bane not an aid...
Very few retailers are willing to risk moving into these areas. But your statement about bringing in sales tax revenue is misleading. Unless TIF districts are created, those areas won't really benefit any more than other parts of the city from sales tax revenue.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
I think it's good that South Dallas is getting some retail. I know people get in arms about Wally World, but this is much needed for such a neglected part of town. Other stores do show up when Walmart comes, they may not be mom-and-pop chain stores, but if other national chains are willing to invest in bringing more retail in, so be it.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:15 AM

446 posts, read 649,349 times
Now if only they'd build that Wal-Mart in that large empty field in my home 'hood off Riverside and Berry in Fort Worth that I've been hearing rumors about for years...

Even considering the drawbacks, I think that them Wal-Marts are a good economic adrenaline shot, which South Dallas needs badly. We need more development outside the far out suburbs and exurbs...

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It is good that they will be bringing sales tax revenue to areas that don't have much
it is just bad that WalMart has the bad habit of grinding down vs raising up
WalMart is about squeezing the most out of its suppliers, workers, the local govt with tax incentives most of the time...
in many ways WalMart is a bane not an aid...

And you know this how? From listening to the union fat rats on TV with their propaganda? I personally am glad we have Walmarts. Competition is good for everyone....how do you think prices get driven down? HEB, Kroger, Target, KMart just to mention a few. Everyone including Walmart must keep on their toes to keep up with changing customer needs and demands.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Dallaz, do you know how many of these Walmarts eventually were built? Are they still building them?

I'm not a huge fan of Walmart, but you were right, South Dallas needs somebody to invest in them.

It's really only the big supercenters I'm not a fan of. I actually use the neighborhood market in Casa View occasionally. They just seem a little less intrusive.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 45,490 times
The new Jcpenney-Walmart Combo on Skillman is reasonably urban enough for me for a big box store...it actually looks nice.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,633 times
I read that the Dallas area has more Walmarts than any other city in the U.S. That was a couple of years ago. Things may have changed since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas