Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
No one will be able to dispute the facts that blacks and Hispanics commit more crimes than white people. I think I've read that one of four black men are either in prison, have been in prison, or on parole from prison. But blaming these sad statistics entirely on race, is what makes one a racist. Failing to understand the causes, makes one an idiot.
There are no facts that say blacks and hispanics commit more crimes than white people. The only hard statistics say that blacks and hispanics are JAILED more than white people. Those are two completely different things.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Hey Al! Take me to the river!

I remember applying for financial aid just prior to beginning my college education. I was the fifth of eight children in an Irish / Italian / Catholic household. My dad was a postal carrier, making all of $25k while raising us all. We were told we did not qualify for aid. So I did what any other person who truly wanted success did. I figured out another way to fund college...namely I worked part time. It was challenging but then satisfaction is earned...right? My dad, in all his Un PC ness told me that if we changed our name to Garcia, and moved over the hill, we could get aid. Ill founded and inaccurate sentiment on his part? Probably. But that was his generation's opinion of affirmative action.

As I have gone through life, I can't recall any special favors being done for me because of my ethnicity. In fact, I feel like I was just one of many multi-cultural people in a melting pot. My jobs have always been filled with a diverse crowd with many ethnicities and alternative lifestyles represented.

Hey while you are suggesting reparations for certain groups (early vocational training?), can you direct me to some of that white privilege I am hearing about?
I'm not saying that as a white male you'll have the entire world handed to you on a platter, but you still have the advantage of living in an Anglo-centric nation that is geared to think of you first. Just because you don't notice that there is inequality amongst the races doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ever heard the saying "to be white in America means not having to think about it"? Race is not an issue to whites because it has never been an isssue for whites. Not on the grand scale that it has been to minorities.

Personally, I feel that your family was wronged. I'm leaning towards race-specific scholarships being somewhat irrelevant today, especially if many needy whites are being overlooked. Those who are economically disadvantaged should receive aid regardless of race; however, that "white male scholarship" isn't about need, but rather just a lashing out to make a statement. A sad one at that.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker on these forums but never posted anything...till now...reading dubeaux's (sp) post really pushed me to say something. I'm a Nigerian immigrant, been here in the DFW area now for 12 years. After r

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I am against affirmative action for the very reason that it takes away from my own achievements. I'd rant some more but I'm being called to the OR, and there's no AA to help me hold the 15-blade...some people.
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas stores his Yale Law School diploma in his basement. On the diploma he placed a cigar box sticker that says "15 cents." He blames the affirmative action policies of the school for making his degree worth 15 cents. Thomas said that affirmative action presumes he wasn't smart enough to get in from his own merit. Employers seemed to agree because he had a tough time getting a job after graduating from Yale. I personally know a lot of very successful minorities -- including local judges -- who feel the same way.

My employment discrimination professor, who represented companies as an employment defense lawyer, said that the ideal jury member for the defense was a college educated minority. As a demographic, the college educated minority is the most skeptical about the plaintiff's allegations of racism and most likely to hold the belief that the plaintiff should quit complaining and have just done a better job at work. After all that is how they made it. A college educated white person, on the other hand, is most likely to have liberal guilt and believe the allegations. White members of the jury will also be guided by the views of the college educated minority on the jury panel, who often becomes the jury foreman. (My professor was also black, female and pregnant -- each of which are protected classes for discrimination!)

Her idea of affirmative action wasn't quotas or changing standards. Instead, it was just inclusion. Send engineers to predominately black schools so they can learn about engineering as a potential career. Have your company go to predominately black schools to recruit. In essence, just remember that black people exist and include them in your circle. It's really a simple concept that is often forgotten by people who live in their own white bubble.

My wife and I go out to local schools to tell elementary, middle and high school students about career options on career days. We would often be the only college educated people that the school signed up to talk to the kids in predominately minority south Dallas schools. There were plenty of plumbers, electricians and even construction workers. But far too few examples of college educated workers. That is ridiculous. We're selling these kids in short. Although there is nothing wrong with those blue collar jobs, those kids need to know about other career options that exist. They need to know about college, technical schools and graduate schools. They don't see or hear about the examples like white kids from Highland Park.

Going to career day or similarly volunteering at our local schools is something all of us can do. Predominately minority schools need to have the diversity that a white guy like me can bring to the table in addition to the diversity a minority brings to a predominately white institution. Each of us can do simple things to improve our society. We just have to take the time to think about it.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 03-02-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:46 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas stores his Yale Law School diploma in his basement. On the diploma he placed a cigar box sticker that says "15 cents." He blames the affirmative action policies of the school for making his degree worth 15 cents. Thomas said that affirmative action presumes he wasn't smart enough to get in from his own merit. I personally know a lot of very successful minorities -- including local judges -- who feel the same way.

My employment discrimination professor, who represented companies as an employment defense lawyer, said that the ideal jury member for the defense was a college educated minority. As a demographic, the college educated minority is the most skeptical about the plaintiff's allegations of racism and most likely to hold the belief that the plaintiff should quite complaining and have just done a better job at work. After all that is how they made it. (My professor was also black, female and pregnant -- each of which are protected classes for discrimination!)

Her idea of affirmative action wasn't quotas or changing standards. Instead, it was just inclusion. Send engineers to predominately black schools so they can learn about engineering as a potential career. Have your company go to predominately black schools to recruit. In essence, just remember that black people exist and include them in your circle. It's really a simple concept that is often forgotten by people who live in their own white bubble.

My wife and I go out to local schools to tell elementary, middle and high school students about career options on career days. We would often be the only college educated people that the school signed up to talk to the kids in predominately minority south Dallas schools. There were plenty of plumbers, electricians and even construction workers. But far too few examples of college educated workers. That is ridiculous. We're selling these kids short.

Going to career day or similarly helping out our local schools is something all of us can do. Predominately minority schools need to have the diversity that a white guy like me can bring to the table in addition to the diversity a minority brings to a predominately white institution. Each of us can do simple things to improve our society. We just have to take the time to think about it.
Hamilton, I'm not sure if you and I have ever disagreed on anything before, but let me just say that this post is dead on. It sounds corny, but America would be a much better place if more people thought like you.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
There are no facts that say blacks and hispanics commit more crimes than white people. The only hard statistics say that blacks and hispanics are JAILED more than white people. Those are two completely different things.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out minorities commit more crime than non minorities. And I'm a minority and can actually admit that since I have common sense and dont live in denial. And anyone can see the correlation of the ratio of minorities to non minorities jailed and the amount of crimes being committed by those people.

On the other hand the non minorities are generally the ones that do the really bad crimes like the mass murders and the crazies out there that do disgusting things to other people.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
sorry got cut off, let me continue...after reading the OP's post, there have been several people decrying his views and saying "this is not what the majority of people here think" Now I will say I dont think most people in DFW (white people) are racist, but I do think there are elements of his view that they share. The most obvious example of this is the desire to get away from minority dominated areas. The classic example of this to me is Plano, Texas. For so long Plano has been the jewel of the metroplex, consistently rated as one of the best cities to live in, tons of affluence, excellent schools, etc. But over the last couple of years, I hear more and more about Plano being "in transition", "a declining city"...I have a few friends in the real estate business and they now almost exclusively steer newcomers to Frisco, Allen and McKinney, almost never Plano (unless it's the big bucks folks who move to Willow Bend). So the question has to be what has changed in Plano? Is it now overrun with crime? Is it now one large ghetto? driving though the city I do not see any evidence of this. All those offices on Legacy are still there, my daughter plays soccer at several fields in Plano and they still look nice. Yet Plano just can't seem to shake that tag...the one thing that has changed in the percentage of minorities moving to Plano, and hence the perception of the city has suffered as a result.
Another example is the city I live in, Garland. We've lived there for 3 years now. My wife was born and raised in the city. There is a huge difference between North Garland, which is considered the "nice" part of the city, and South Garland, which is called the ghetto. I know momof is a huge Garland supporter and will rip me a new one for saying this, but it's common knowledge that North Garland, especially near the mall is considered to be the best part of the city, and it has the higher percentage of whites, while South Garland which has the higher percentage of minorities is not considered as desirable.
Finally, I do think the OP is indeed painting with a broad brush. While welfare blacks may indeed be plagued with crime and other social ills, I do think that middle class blacks at least are not a blight on any city they move to. I know far too many people in living in Frisco, Allen, and McKinney just to name a few who fit right in with their new neighborhoods and have not turned the cities into the new Oak Cliff. If he would give people a chance he might be pleasantly surprised. Or not.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
I cant believe that in 2011 this is still going on.. My My My.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas stores his Yale Law School diploma in his basement. On the diploma he placed a cigar box sticker that says "15 cents." He blames the affirmative action policies of the school for making his degree worth 15 cents. Thomas said that affirmative action presumes he wasn't smart enough to get in from his own merit. I personally know a lot of very successful minorities -- including local judges -- who feel the same way.

My employment discrimination professor, who represented companies as an employment defense lawyer, said that the ideal jury member for the defense was a college educated minority. As a demographic, the college educated minority is the most skeptical about the plaintiff's allegations of racism and most likely to hold the belief that the plaintiff should quite complaining and have just done a better job at work. After all that is how they made it. A college educated white person on the other hand, is most likely to have liberal guilt and believe the allegations. (My professor was also black, female and pregnant -- each of which are protected classes for discrimination!)

My wife and I go out to local schools to tell elementary, middle and high school students about career options on career days. We would often be the only college educated people that the school signed up to talk to the kids in predominately minority south Dallas schools. There were plenty of plumbers, electricians and even construction workers. But far too few examples of college educated workers. That is ridiculous. We're selling these kids in short. Although there is nothing wrong with those blue collar jobs, those kids need to know about other career options that exist. They need to know about college, technical schools and graduate schools. They don't see or hear about the examples like white kids from Highland Park.

Going to career day or similarly volunteering at our local schools is something all of us can do. Predominately minority schools need to have the diversity that a white guy like me can bring to the table in addition to the diversity a minority brings to a predominately white institution. Each of us can do simple things to improve our society. We just have to take the time to think about it.

If I could rep you again, I would. Good post.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm not saying that as a white male you'll have the entire world handed to you on a platter, but you still have the advantage of living in an Anglo-centric nation that is geared to think of you first. Just because you don't notice that there is inequality amongst the races doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ever heard the saying "to be white in America means not having to think about it"? Race is not an issue to whites because it has never been an isssue for whites. Not on the grand scale that it has been to minorities.

Personally, I feel that your family was wronged. I'm leaning towards race-specific scholarships being somewhat irrelevant today, especially if many needy whites are being overlooked. Those who are economically disadvantaged should receive aid regardless of race; however, that "white male scholarship" isn't about need, but rather just a lashing out to make a statement. A sad one at that.

Dead on here.. I really dont think they understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas