Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 PM

59 posts, read 270,816 times

Advertisements

That is a gorgeous house!

I can't get over how much house money will buy a person in the Dallas area. I live in West Seattle and that would buy a condo. And not a great one.

Where is Allen, I wonder. I'll have to look it up on the map.

We are thinking of moving to the DFW area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:59 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,409 times
ditto what far north said. I thought that was cookie cutter as well. If you're good with that house, no worries. There's plenty of custom home developments in Irving for that matter, I would still look towards Flower Mound but thats just me, lots of trees up that way on the west side.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,088 times
Default what is a cookie cutter?

We, my family and I, are relocating to work in Irving, Texas. We were in Japan last spring. We love the green lush and humidity-kind of like what we just saw in Texas-we just went out there this last month for the first time.

We DID see one acres within an hour and less. We don't mind driving a little ways either. We are looking for a one acre to build a craftsman style home on. Very "non" cookie-cutter. It's an influence of Japanese, English Tudor, and Indian. It's become more popular in the last 5-10 years. It's been in a revival. It was more popular around the turn of the century...early 1900's.

My family and I live in Utah-many plain cookie cutters here....lots of plain stucco homes, or plain vinyl homes with a simple band/strip of rock along the bottom of the house. There are of course beautiful neighborhoods here with lots of rock/stone...but they still look cookie cutter to me.

I'm originally from Pasadena, California. A cookie cutter is hard to find there. It's an older town with lots of beautiful custom homes, both small and large.

While in Texas, we visited freinds in Allen. There were many brick/rock homes there...like the one you posted.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2007, 02:55 AM

41 posts, read 214,146 times
So, basically I am getting the impression that regardless of price and how custom the interior is, a cookie-cutter (at least in Dallas) is any house that the exterior is made with what is currently in style---the brick and stone 2-story style.

So, now that I understand what a cookie-cutter is, what makes a house a non-cookie-cutter? Links to pics would be great.

Also, now that I have a better idea, I can say that I have no problem with a cookie-cutter. So, having said that, I would like some more advice on where would be a good place to choose.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:13 AM

43 posts, read 294,054 times
Hey Deadmaster - why don't you have a look at Keller? I saw a really nice house for my mom and dad in Keller that was $229K, only 3 years old and just really nice. It didn't have a huge yard though - I think it was about 1/4 an acre, but that's a good sized yard and it was in great condition. I'd send you the link, but they won't let you send real estate links. There's a company called DFW Real Estate Group and their website lets you just do MLS searches yourself without you sending them your search criteria. It's great because you can look at all the areas around Irving and check out what your money will get you. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 AM

41 posts, read 214,146 times
Hey Gibbok,

Thanks for the info. But actually, that is why I first decided to post on this forum in the first place. There are just so many houses in all the different areas. So I was hoping to get some info from the people who really know the areas and could tell me which places to definitely avoid and which places I should look into seriously.

So, don't stop now. Keep it comin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas