U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM

177 posts, read 787,589 times

Advertisements

Rather than driving around town which can be very time consuming, I think this can be a good approximation.

a) Look at city statistics on city-data.com
b) Look at house listings on ziprealty.com with pictures. It gives you price range of houses,and year of construction. You get an idea of how new or old the houses are.
c) Look at greatschools.net for schools and you can get a good picture of school quality in specific subdivisions.
d) Search for bookstores like borders and barnes and noble on google maps for the area you live in. The more the bookstores the better educated the area.
e) Search for homedepot, lowe's, costco, sams club - these would be more residential areas.
f) Compare the number of starbucks with the number of mcdonalds and jackinabox's - and you can get an idea of the income levels in the neighbourhood.
g) If you visit the malls alone - grapevine, galleria, vista ridge, irving mall, north park mall, you get an approximate idea of the population within a 10 mile radius.
h) Search on google for car dealerships - do you have used kia dealers or jaguar dealers.
i) Check for business listings - do you have more white collar jobs or blue collar jobs within 10 mile radius.
j) Search for babiesrus and toysrus - these would be ironically not the best areas - it will be areas with explosive population growth - mostly through immigration, not due to job formation.

Last edited by jacob; 07-25-2007 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,835,701 times
I disagree with some of your judgments. Toys R Us doesn't mean immigration to me. The last Toys R Us I saw was last week and was next to Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

Locations of Home Depots and Lowes? You know there is a Home Depot at Forest south of LBJ, east of Central? Would you live over there? Are there any houses over there? There's a Sams near Vickery Meadows near Park Lane and Greenville. Old yucky apartment city in that area.

McDonalds doesn't mean anything about income level to me. They are everywhere.

School research can also be done on the TEA website under the accountability section and Just 4 Schools website. You might need to go the individual school districts websites to check boundaries.

You can also pull up the map section of ebby dot com to quickly scan for houses.

You can't judge an area by who is at the local mall. People *drive* long distances to get to specific malls.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM

177 posts, read 787,589 times
What would be a good indicator for determining area quality online based on facts (short of talking to locals) ? There could be lot of personal bias when talking to people. Its more about who is more vocal and sounds more confident and convincing as opposed to who has the right facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I disagree with some of your judgments. Toys R Us doesn't mean immigration to me. The last Toys R Us I saw was last week and was next to Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

Locations of Home Depots and Lowes? You know there is a Home Depot at Forest south of LBJ, east of Central? Would you live over there? Are there any houses over there? There's a Sams near Vickery Meadows near Park Lane and Greenville. Old yucky apartment city in that area.

McDonalds doesn't mean anything about income level to me. They are everywhere.

School research can also be done on the TEA website under the accountability section and Just 4 Schools website. You might need to go the individual school districts websites to check boundaries.

You can also pull up the map section of ebby dot com to quickly scan for houses.

You can't judge an area by who is at the local mall. People *drive* long distances to get to specific malls.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM

1,005 posts, read 3,372,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Locations of Home Depots and Lowes? You know there is a Home Depot at Forest south of LBJ, east of Central? Would you live over there? Are there any houses over there? .
Actually, there is a brand new development of 700k-1M+ houses, the Urban Reserve, going up on Vanguard, off Stults (which has a couple of really interesting older houses, too).

Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM

443 posts, read 1,385,773 times
Right Far North, shopping is one the main reasons to visit Dallas and alot of people do. I find, if you want to use shopping as a judge in the Dallas area, the local wal mart is alot better barometer of the local flavor. Nobody travels from Little Rock, OKC or Palestine to visit the local Wal Mart.
On bookstores, theres more bookstores in Mesquite than Frisco, does that match the analysis? To each their own, just doesn't seem very accurate.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,835,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
What would be a good indicator for determining area quality online based on facts (short of talking to locals) ? There could be lot of personal bias when talking to people. Its more about who is more vocal and sounds more confident and convincing as opposed to who has the right facts.
Ohhhhhhhh, you want to know how people can see through locale peoples' personal biases and opinions? I don't know. It depends what the lookers are wanting and what they like. Some really want a Lakewood type area. Others really want a Frisco. The descriptions people give of their preferred areas and the debate that comes next could be helpful to lookers. Some folks don't want to be near big box retailers and others want to be near them. Area quality is different for everyone.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,260,325 times
Quote:
d) Search for bookstores like borders and barnes and noble on google maps for the area you live in. The more the bookstores the better educated the area.
Most are in malls which would be in a commercial district, not a residential one.

Quote:
f) Compare the number of starbucks with the number of mcdonalds and jackinabox's - and you can get an idea of the income levels in the neighbourhood.
McDonalds and Starbucks are EVERYWHERE!! I've seen McDonalds in upscale neighborhoods and Starbucks in fairly low-end areas. I'd never go buy that meathod...

Quote:
Search on google for car dealerships - do you have used kia dealers or jaguar dealers.
With Jaguar's reputation on reliability, I'd much rather have a Kia dealer.

Quote:
i) Check for business listings - do you have more white collar jobs or blue collar jobs within 10 mile radius.
Most white-collar jobs would be in Dallas proper, not in the suburbs.

Quote:
j) Search for babiesrus and toysrus - these would be ironically not the best areas - it will be areas with explosive population growth - mostly through immigration, not due to job formation.
...I'm not even going to comment on this one.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,763,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Right Far North, shopping is one the main reasons to visit Dallas and alot of people do. I find, if you want to use shopping as a judge in the Dallas area, the local wal mart is alot better barometer of the local flavor. Nobody travels from Little Rock, OKC or Palestine to visit the local Wal Mart.
On bookstores, theres more bookstores in Mesquite than Frisco, does that match the analysis? To each their own, just doesn't seem very accurate.
Lakewood / Highland Park / M-Streets and Preston Hollow don't have Wal-Marts. Those are the most expensive areas per square foot to live in for all of DFW.

So "checking out the local Wal-Mart" by its very nature is a place I wouldn't want to live in. Any place that can support a Wal-Mart is typically not very affluent.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,200,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Rather than driving around town which can be very time consuming, I think this can be a good approximation.

-Sorry, I must laugh at this! The statement seems very narrow-minded in my opinion. And the Wal-Mart thing; you can go to nice parts of Plano and there will be an upscale Wal-Mart next door to $500,000 homes.

Please don't rely too much on City Data for you information.. Drive around the area, and talk to the locals, Police dept. etc..

Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 PM

294 posts, read 890,145 times
I did some of the things from the initial posting. I also looked for stores such as Whole Foods and Central Market.
But I have a special relationship with food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or