Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,944,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
White went out of his way to welcome Katrina victims to Houston--he never quibbled about taking them, never complained that his city was going to bear more than its fair share of the burden (which it did), never tried to play the race card and claim that Houston would be threatened by so many indigent minorities when it has high numbers of them anyway...

those were all claims that many people in Houston WANTED him to make--and he failed to do so--
apparently from what I read Houston's outreach efforts were exemplary
because White WAS such a great leader--one who welcomed the challenge of dealing with such a giant problem at such short notice--he proved how good he was--and that made some people who did not like him, like him even less...
a case of you can't win for losing...
That was a mistake on White's part unfotunately. should have let those welfare cases flock to ala and miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM

19,553 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
II. Intelligent conservatives can actually see Perry for who he is, all politician. On the other hand, the rest of the conservatives just see a (R) next to his name and paint of picture of Perry with his good hair cut soaring majestically with Jesus through clouds of Texas and US flags.

III. Perry isn't incompetent, worse all he cares about is his career and cronyism.
So assuming one is generally conservative.

A. Does he vote for Perry anyway?
B. Go all irrational and vote for White?
C. Go even more irrational and vote for whomever the unelectable Libertarian is-?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Perry still has the power of the bully pulpit. And much like the President, the governor has limited power, while the majority people always equate figureheads with running the show.

However, Perry could actually have a discussion and make the hard decisions to set Texas up to succeed for the future. But like most Republicans, he seems more interested in maintaining this populist conservative notion of "we need to slash spending, deficits are bad". However, this country and state is going to be in a rude awakening as people are starting to realize the consequences of these actions.

Texas is low cost, low regulation, business friendly, spends among the lowest $/person state yet here we are faced with a budget crisis. Regardless of your political alignment and views on immigration, Texas is changing. We can accept reality and do something about it and get Perry out of office or watch as inaction and populism take over. Do you believe Texas can maintain it's quality of life and economic clout when it's ranking in education, healthcare, and environmental issues are near the bottom? Not to mention the system of freight track, ports, highways, roads, bridges, water treatment plans, etc. (the infrastructure that makes Texas what it is) is aging and our population is exploding. Mr. Perry what are we to do?
That's a lot of info.

In this case deficits are not just bad deficits are 100% illegal - even worse they are expressly unconstitutional.

Regarding consequences. Manufactured hysteria from teachers unions, much of the press and political liberals aside, we are going to experience cuts. Cutting now and re-setting the longer term cost picture vis a vis education is the proper course of action.

I'll chime in with more later.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,083,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So assuming one is generally conservative.

A. Does he vote for Perry anyway?
B. Go all irrational and vote for White?
C. Go even more irrational and vote for whomever the unelectable Libertarian is-?
I really LOLed at option B.

It seems that if this hypothetical conservative automatically declares anything but conservatism irrational then that person is irrational for not considering any other options. Unfortunately, this type of thinking has destroyed America's political landscape and has enabled the masses to be manipulated by the dogmas the politican's are pushing.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,602,807 times
Perry has manufactured this budget crisis because he has IGNORED it ever since Carol Keeton Strayhorn warned what would happen when she ran against him for governor in 2006--
Ex-comptroller Strayhorn finds vindication in budget shortfall | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Perry poo-pooed her caution as just a woman's hysteria--and went ahead and cut taxes vs saving them for true rainy day fund...
and don't you love David Dewhurst's comments about Strayhorn's warning---
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said resurrecting Strayhorn's five-year-old forecast is "old news."

Yet it seemed to come as a big surprise to anyone now having to deal with solving the shortfall...

Perry is like the Emporer who is walking down the street sans finery and NO ONE is willing to call him on it...

I just wish all the teachers who were so mobilized to go to the Capitol this weekend to make their "ire" known had bothered to actually think about who was a better candidate--
IF they had voted for Kay Bailey Hutchinson I know we would have had a better chance of dealing with this funding issue more straightforward....
vs spending MORE tax $$$ on business incentives to reward a few of Perry's cronies

Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of info.

In this case deficits are not just bad deficits are 100% illegal - even worse they are expressly unconstitutional.

Regarding consequences. Manufactured hysteria from teachers unions, much of the press and political liberals aside, we are going to experience cuts. Cutting now and re-setting the longer term cost picture vis a vis education is the proper course of action.

I'll chime in with more later.
Deficits are illegal? Really? At what level of government?

With Texas's growth, with the latest census figures and the projections for future growth, this is no time to cut education, healthcare, and social service costs. Those roads and water treatment plants aren't going to fund themselves either. Haven't you heard TXDOT doesn't have much money, or is that manufactured liberal hysteria?

It's quite ironic. Texas's policy of a being a nonunion, low regulation, business friendly state has led to explosive population and economic growth but hasn't prepared us to deal with having this type of growth. Our children are increasingly not graduating high school and our youth , adult obesity rates puts us way above average, parks are underfunded, the traffic ain't getting better, dude we got some work to do.

But hey.... it's all being manufactured by the unions and liberal media. Everything is just fine here in Texas..... It's the poor and illegals fault for everything anyways, they aren't easy scapegoats to hide real issues.

If you actually wake up to what's going on you should join my party, it's called the Pragmatic Party.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I really LOLed at option B.

It seems that if this hypothetical conservative automatically declares anything but conservatism irrational then that person is irrational for not considering any other options. Unfortunately, this type of thinking has destroyed America's political landscape and has enabled the masses to be manipulated by the dogmas the politican's are pushing.
Fail.

In my example the voter is a strong conservative. He is no more likely to vote for White than the local UAW chief is to vote for Perry.

You must hate him but George Bush, the younger, may have a valid point that our primaries are a key problem.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Deficits are illegal? Really? At what level of government?

With Texas's growth, with the latest census figures and the projections for future growth, this is no time to cut education, healthcare, and social service costs. Those roads and water treatment plants aren't going to fund themselves either. Haven't you heard TXDOT doesn't have much money, or is that manufactured liberal hysteria?

It's quite ironic. Texas's policy of a being a nonunion, low regulation, business friendly state has led to explosive population and economic growth but hasn't prepared us to deal with having this type of growth. Our children are increasingly not graduating high school and our youth , adult obesity rates puts us way above average, parks are underfunded, the traffic ain't getting better, dude we got some work to do.

But hey.... it's all being manufactured by the unions and liberal media. Everything is just fine here in Texas..... It's the poor and illegals fault for everything anyways, they aren't easy scapegoats to hide real issues.

If you actually wake up to what's going on you should join my party, it's called the Pragmatic Party.
It looks like the Pragmatic Party needs a Texas-civics lesson.

It's just great when Texas liberals whine, complain, point fingers and stand in righteous indignation, like you. All the while so inflamed with passion and vigor that you forgot to read, or never heard about, the portion of the Texas State Constitution that renders deficits illegal.

My kids are thin, active and very well educated. If I can help orchestrate such outcomes why can't other parents? I don't have magical powers.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Perry has manufactured this budget crisis because he has IGNORED it ever since Carol Keeton Strayhorn warned what would happen when she ran against him for governor in 2006--
Ex-comptroller Strayhorn finds vindication in budget shortfall | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Perry poo-pooed her caution as just a woman's hysteria--and went ahead and cut taxes vs saving them for true rainy day fund...
and don't you love David Dewhurst's comments about Strayhorn's warning---
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said resurrecting Strayhorn's five-year-old forecast is "old news."

Yet it seemed to come as a big surprise to anyone now having to deal with solving the shortfall...

Perry is like the Emporer who is walking down the street sans finery and NO ONE is willing to call him on it...

I just wish all the teachers who were so mobilized to go to the Capitol this weekend to make their "ire" known had bothered to actually think about who was a better candidate--
IF they had voted for Kay Bailey Hutchinson I know we would have had a better chance of dealing with this funding issue more straightforward....
vs spending MORE tax $$$ on business incentives to reward a few of Perry's cronies
Even Lord Keynes stipulated that, excepting possible very short term exceptions, private business funds everything else.

Frankly, I like KBH a lot. She would have been a fine governor. She would be doing exactly what Perry is doing. She'd sell it better for sure. I think White would be doing about the same. White is somewhat liberal he is not insane.

The big trick is for Texas to solve these funding problems now. Not kick the can down the road two years. California has done that and failed miserably.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
It looks like the Pragmatic Party needs a Texas-civics lesson... the portion of the Texas State Constitution that renders deficits illegal.
After looking into it, you are absolutely correct. However, this only reinforces the notion of how messed up the ruling party in Texas is. Blame should be applied everywhere, but especially conservative republicans whose policies have led to this mess.

Quote:
It's just great when Texas liberals whine, complain, point fingers and stand in righteous indignation, like you. All the while so inflamed with passion and vigor...
What are you scared of? Why is it such a scary notion that adapting our principles as the world keeps spinning is the best way to survive? The world is changing before our eyes, and neither party has stepped up. Evolution of our ideas and beliefs are key to our success. You preach nothing but the status quo and that will leave us down the wrong path.

Quote:
My kids are thin, active and very well educated. If I can help orchestrate such outcomes why can't other parents? I don't have magical powers.
This is truly terrible type of thought. Do you not realize how people aren't created equal? What if your kids were born with down syndrome? What if they were paralyzed in an accident? What if they were born with Type 1 diabetes? Or blind? Deaf? Congenital heart defect? How would that affect your life, marriage, and economic well being? The poor aren't the only ones who take advantage of government funded healthcare and social services. Please educate yourself.

This whole notion that because "I live in the suburbs or where ever the crap you live and I raised kids that 'are thin, active and very well educated' so everyone should be able to as well" reeks of arrogance and naivety. The world isn't a fair place and sometimes people need assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas