Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM

333 posts, read 638,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
If those signs get just one person to commit their lives to Christ or even consider it, they have done their job. The reason they are in those areas is because there is a lot of sin there and they know it. Us Christians are told to witness to others and spread the word. I'm a Christian and I have to tell you, it's wonderful to have a purpose driven life instead of thinking I have everything figured out. It's nice to have the holy spirit deep in my soul.
But fact of the matter, they don't. That's completely up to a person, not what a sign tell them to do. And it's nice to not have to worry about having to be "accepted for my fate" by the holy spirit, or the easter bunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
If those signs get just one person to commit their lives to Christ or even consider it, they have done their job. The reason they are in those areas is because there is a lot of sin there and they know it. Us Christians are told to witness to others and spread the word. I'm a Christian and I have to tell you, it's wonderful to have a purpose driven life instead of thinking I have everything figured out. It's nice to have the holy spirit deep in my soul.

That's what I like about living in inner-city Dallas!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
That was my point all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
That's what I like about living in inner-city Dallas!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Someone the other day was lying to me about that situation. She claimed that an atheist group had successfully taken down pro-Christian advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
A few months ago, an Atheist group out of Fort Worth placed some ads on the city's public transit system that said "millions of people are good without god" which I completely agreed with. I found it pathetic that they were removed, yet I do see how a public transit agency could easily lose potential riders due to Christians typical nature of being extremely narrowminded (I said typical, not all!). It really erks me when a Christian tries to get me to believe their views, when personally, I'm fine with them believing in fairy tales. I'm not telling them not to believe, nor how stupid I really think they are; yet most of the time, they cannot see how contradicting they are by trying to convert me and show me the light. I'd like to possibly try to get more Atheism, Hare Krishna, Buddist, Jewish, etc billboards up to even things up.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 PM

You are not looking at the big picture. They are legally using their "freedom of expression" to take away other people's freedom of expression. I think it's obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I've noticed those signs around Downtown over the past few days and they certainly don't resonate with me. But if the organization behind the ads has the money to rent those billboards for a month or whatever, then more power to them. It's called freedom of expression and I can choose to ignore it. Next month those same billboards could just as easily be rented out to some strip club. It would be nice if billboards were phased out altogether in Dallas since they're an eyesore, but while they're still allowed they should be open to all advertisers.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are not looking at the big picture. They are legally using their "freedom of expression" to take away other people's freedom of expression. I think it's obvious.
How are they taking away other peoples freedoms? You dont have to join a church. In fact, you can still go get wasted and then have sex with several people all after looking at the sign. Nobody is stopping you from doing what you want. Anyone has the right to put up whatever signs they want.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Anyone has the right to put up whatever signs they want.
This is absolutely NOT true. There are ordinances (=law) and there are policies of the outdoor advertising companies which govern what you can put on a sign.

You do not have the right to put up whatever signs you want. Not even in your front yard.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM

It's not promoting a church: it's promoting religion in an intimidating way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
How are they taking away other peoples freedoms? You dont have to join a church. In fact, you can still go get wasted and then have sex with several people all after looking at the sign. Nobody is stopping you from doing what you want. Anyone has the right to put up whatever signs they want.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Not to point out the obvious, but only the government is restricted from either promoting or abridging religion.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM

You are so clueless dude.

The citizens have a right to complain against BS when they see BS: just like Westboro Baptist church has their so-called "right" to harass at funerals.

It's a free country: people are free to hate and rant against billboards and the religious corporations that put them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Not to point out the obvious, but only the government is restricted from either promoting or abridging religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas