U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:01 AM

9,661 posts, read 9,072,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's not promoting a church: it's promoting religion in an intimidating way.
But how does that restrict your freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Status: "Starting my new job! Happy dance!" (set 3 days ago)

13,645 posts, read 10,713,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
A few months ago, an Atheist group out of Fort Worth placed some ads on the city's public transit system that said "millions of people are good without god" which I completely agreed with. I found it pathetic that they were removed, yet I do see how a public transit agency could easily lose potential riders due to Christians typical nature of being extremely narrowminded (I said typical, not all!). It really erks me when a Christian tries to get me to believe their views, when personally, I'm fine with them believing in fairy tales. I'm not telling them not to believe, nor how stupid I really think they are; yet most of the time, they cannot see how contradicting they are by trying to convert me and show me the light. I'd like to possibly try to get more Atheism, Hare Krishna, Buddist, Jewish, etc billboards up to even things up.
I can't speak for the others but Judaism is not a missionary religion; we don't advertise.

If people are going to complain about the atheist signs on the Fort Worth transit system then they need to agree to ban all religious advertising. If you let one in, you have to let them all in.

Unread 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM

13,932 posts, read 24,269,654 times
I am not a "very religious" person at all--regarding one of the earlier response posts from the OP--

If people are going to complain about the atheist signs on the Fort Worth transit system then they need to agree to ban all religious advertising. If you let one in, you have to let them all in.

The billboard the OP remarked on is not tied to the FTW transit signs on buses--that company has made rules prohibiting any religious/anti-religious ads

Personally I thought that was a mistake--since the "anti" religion signs were not in bad taste/offensive in language at all--just that some churches did not want to see anyone espousing a belief that someone can find happiness w/o a God-based belief system...
that to me would exhibit freedom of choice, religion, and speech
The T's kowtowing to a small group of protestors seemed to be unworthy of an agency that is supposed to represent a CITY with many different points of view...

That being said--
why would a billboard in an area of bars not be the perfect place to reach converts--target marketing--

Unread 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I am not a "very religious" person at all--regarding one of the earlier response posts from the OP--

The billboard the OP remarked on is not tied to the FTW transit signs on buses--that company has made rules prohibiting any religious/anti-religious ads

Personally I thought that was a mistake--since the "anti" religion signs were not in bad taste/offensive in language at all--just that some churches did not want to see anyone espousing a belief that someone can find happiness w/o a God-based belief system...
The T's kowtowing to a small group of protestors seemed to be unworthy of an agency that is supposed to represent a CITY with many different points of view...

That being said--
why would a billboard in an area of bars not be the perfect place to reach converts--target marketing--
Exactly. I don't have a problem with the billboards, but I don't have a problem with anti-religion signs on the buses either. As long as it's not hurting anyone, you should be able to say what you want.

Unread 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM

9,960 posts, read 3,188,478 times
Quote:
You are not looking at the big picture. They are legally using their "freedom of expression" to take away other people's freedom of expression. I think it's obvious.
If it were obvious people besides you would have a clue what you're trying to say. How is a billboard taking away your freedom of expression in any way? If you have the money I'm sure that billboard company would put anything you want up there.

Unread 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Status: "Starting my new job! Happy dance!" (set 3 days ago)

13,645 posts, read 10,713,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

That being said--
I know they're talking about 2 different things. I can read too, thanks.

Unread 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM

2,741 posts, read 4,977,244 times
Remember the Falun Gong signs on the backs of DART busses a few years ago - they were great. Opening eyes to another possibility of spirituality.

Unread 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,258,988 times
Quote:
You are so clueless dude.

The citizens have a right to complain against BS when they see BS: just like Westboro Baptist church has their so-called "right" to harass at funerals.

It's a free country: people are free to hate and rant against billboards and the religious corporations that put them up.
Somehow I think you'd much rather live in Pottersville than Bedford Falls.

Unread 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM

63 posts, read 42,463 times
Not Dallas, but here is a good one!http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4227353988/ (broken link)

Unread 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM

4,622 posts, read 4,376,468 times
Quote:
I'm telling you most pastors and priests are extremely conservative. They hate the idea of secularism. Back to my original point that some Christian groups are trying to turn Dallas into a more conservative Texas city.
Dallas has ALWAYS been a conservative Texas city. How the heck could it be even more by a friggin billboard?!

Last edited by allenk893; 03-27-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas