Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times

Advertisements

I did see that in the paper about the station, but that was a maintenance and cleanliness issue. It was also part of the general complaining that Southern Dallas does not get its fair share of funding and support. I don't recall any news about other southern stations creating criminal activity in the immediate neighborhoods. I have seen some news about unruly students at stations when school lets out, if that is the sort of crime we are talking about. The DART police have that under control, however.

I haven't seen any statistics that prove a relationship between the presence or absence of a rail station and increased property or violent crime in the neighboring blocks. I have heard of statistics that show increased property values in the immediate neighborhood compared to neighborhoods farther away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Crime spiking near rail stations? Is that true? Where are the statistics that prove such a thing?
Just an anecdote: The only times that I've been victim of a crime were at the Galatyn Park DART station.

The first time, someone stole my bicycle.
The second time, someone slashed the tires of my replacement bicycle (which I secured with an extra strong U-lock bar).

Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
The one and only time my son and his wife road the DART was just for the 'experience' of riding it.....they went to a hockey game downtown. There was nothing on the train but gangbangers and they leered at my DIL and made lewd remarks the whole trip. My son has worked enough with that type of person that he knew how to handle it...........but they called a cab to go home.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,358 times
Well, GayleTx, that has never happened to me, nor have I ever seen that. You'd think that a DART train picking up people after a hockey game would be packed full of hockey fans. So I have a hard time accepting the factual nature of the story. I think that you just had two upset, frightened people going through a paranoid fit. And the longer they tell their story, or even think about it, the more horrible it gets.

I don't think that one or two isolated incidents mean anything, since over 60,000 people ride those trains every day. A couple of individuals who have a horror story to tell does not make a trend.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 72,697 times
Canyon Creek is a great area by railroad tracks just south of Plano. One trains a night is soothing. This is near UTD.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
The one and only time my son and his wife road the DART was just for the 'experience' of riding it.....they went to a hockey game downtown. There was nothing on the train but gangbangers and they leered at my DIL and made lewd remarks the whole trip. My son has worked enough with that type of person that he knew how to handle it...........but they called a cab to go home.
I have caught the train plenty of times from all over Dallas and I will say this. The train during peak hours is pretty safe. They are packed full of commuters and the crowds are pretty calm. Catching the train during off peak times is a different story. It's full of teenagers and having to deal with vulgar language is tiresome. I have never felt unsafe on a train but I do feel like I have to hear things that I really don't want to hear. I would be more fearfull of the parking lots at night than the train itself. I catch one of the big coach buses from the Garland transit center and it is a much better ride than the train since it 99% of the passengers are either going to work or coming home.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
There one goes again defending the great cities of Texas. I doubt GayleTX's family is fabricating the story and making it more "scary" each time it is told. True, one bad apple doesn't upset the whole cart, but one bad experience would make me not ride the dang thing again.

I have never ridden it and don't plan to do so, so I'm probably not the one who should make any comments at all, but why be so defensive about someone's story and make it look like the person is lying? It's just makes no sense to me.

I have wanted to ride it just for the experience but am certain now I won't. Even if the worst that happened is vulgar language coming from the mouth of teen-age idiots, it would be enough stress to make me want to slap the living daylights out of the brats.

Maybe the following links will shed a little light on the subject.

DART Crime Stats Have Arrived - Dallas.Org: Dallas News and Information

New Meaning for DART - Dallas.Org: Dallas News and Information (http://www.mayorkirk.com/node/363 - broken link)

Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,884 times
I've been in the process of moving in on Royal Crest (which is right by the non-DART train tracks)
Each time I've been at the house at various times of the day, I've not noticed the train go by yet.
My assumption is it's not that busy of a track.
FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas