U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM

3,687 posts, read 7,596,250 times

Advertisements

I didn't even know Prosper had apartment complexes. Learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Prosper at one time said they would not have apartment complexes and now they do. I guess, we had to find a way to pay for that new high school. We live in Lakes of LaCima and love Prosper. I do hear some negative feedback from the teachers and my own children regarding the apartment kids but they don't seem to stay too long before their families move on to the next freebie apartment deal. We moved from Frisco and we loved the schools in Frisco, too. We do love the relaxed laid back life style in Prosper and my kids are in elementary and middle school and I can't say they have had any issues with drugs or bad kids from the apartments. The school district has a very strict policy on drugs and bullying and has zero tolerance with this kind of behavior so I would not worry about the apartments. It is a shame for the community to have to shoulder the burden of such a large complex with limited tax base. We are building our second home in Prosper and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 PM

4,844 posts, read 5,271,489 times
My sister-in-law and family have lived in Prosper for over 10 years, left Plano so the kids could go to a smaller high school and be bigger fish in the proverbial smaller pond. They are concerned about the large amount of the Prosper ISD that extends south of 380 into Frisco that Prosper has no control over zoning and that Frisco will allow a lot of Apartments into that area. So far, the vast majority of land south of 380 in Frisco that falls in the Prosper ISD is undeveloped.

A large swath of the northwestern side of McKinney falls into the Prosper ISD as well. So far, no apartment complexes there, but a good number of subdivisions along Lake Forest north of 380 that are in Prosper ISD are MUCH more dense and lower $$ than what is found in Prosper proper. Prosper ISD has an elementary school off of Lake Forest in the McKinney city limits.

Not that this is bad, but I do find this an interesting fall out of the ISD structure here in TX where the city and the school district are not one in the same.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM

55 posts, read 143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2RN View Post
Prosper at one time said they would not have apartment complexes and now they do. I guess, we had to find a way to pay for that new high school. We live in Lakes of LaCima and love Prosper. I do hear some negative feedback from the teachers and my own children regarding the apartment kids but they don't seem to stay too long before their families move on to the next freebie apartment deal. We moved from Frisco and we loved the schools in Frisco, too. We do love the relaxed laid back life style in Prosper and my kids are in elementary and middle school and I can't say they have had any issues with drugs or bad kids from the apartments. The school district has a very strict policy on drugs and bullying and has zero tolerance with this kind of behavior so I would not worry about the apartments. It is a shame for the community to have to shoulder the burden of such a large complex with limited tax base. We are building our second home in Prosper and can't imagine living anywhere else.
How's Prosper doing financially and what happened to all of those bond measures they voted on two weeks ago? I see no election results on the website, however, there's this note on the home page, without further information: "THE TOWN OF PROSPER ADOPTED A TAX RATE THAT WILL RAISE MORE TAXES FOR MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS THAN LAST YEAR’S TAX RATE"
Going through the 2010-2010 budget documents, I see a property tax rate of 0.52 mentioned, together with a statement regarding higher projected tax revenues (but no statement as to whether the tax rate stays the same or not). I called the town and spoke to someone there and got virtually no straight answer. The best piece of information I received was that "yes, the tax rates would probably have to go up to pay for the bonds".

The general impression I am left with is that, while many of the docs posted on the town website look professionally-done etc., I also see a degree of government-style obfuscation that I would not have expected from such a small place. I would have expected something a lot more straightforward from a small town with so much development risk, something along the lines of "here's the vision we have for Prosper, these are the risks and this is our mitigation and development strategy". I guess I'm looking for a statement clarifying why Prosper should become the next Southlake as opposed to the next Frisco. Then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM

55 posts, read 143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My sister-in-law and family have lived in Prosper for over 10 years, left Plano so the kids could go to a smaller high school and be bigger fish in the proverbial smaller pond. They are concerned about the large amount of the Prosper ISD that extends south of 380 into Frisco that Prosper has no control over zoning and that Frisco will allow a lot of Apartments into that area. So far, the vast majority of land south of 380 in Frisco that falls in the Prosper ISD is undeveloped.

A large swath of the northwestern side of McKinney falls into the Prosper ISD as well. So far, no apartment complexes there, but a good number of subdivisions along Lake Forest north of 380 that are in Prosper ISD are MUCH more dense and lower $$ than what is found in Prosper proper. Prosper ISD has an elementary school off of Lake Forest in the McKinney city limits.

Not that this is bad, but I do find this an interesting fall out of the ISD structure here in TX where the city and the school district are not one in the same.
Thank you! This is another very good piece of information.

I would be quite interested to find out what the rationale behind this kind of districting is. I would guess it was designed to generate a certain amount of cross-contamination and prevent some from keeping their tax money while handing some over to the "less privileged" across the city line. Whether that really is the intention or not, the system seems quite arbitrary and a bit redistributive. I still prefer it to the one in CA though .

Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Fragilistic View Post
Thank you! This is another very good piece of information.

I would be quite interested to find out what the rationale behind this kind of districting is. I would guess it was designed to generate a certain amount of cross-contamination and prevent some from keeping their tax money while handing some over to the "less privileged" across the city line. Whether that really is the intention or not, the system seems quite arbitrary and a bit redistributive. I still prefer it to the one in CA though .
After researching as much as I could, these ISDs (Independent School Districts) have been around for decades, the lines drawn years and years before any of this area was even remotely suburban and when each town's respective city limits was the immediate area around the main street and historical town.

As suburban development has moved outward from Dallas, (or any other large city in TX), the cities have expanded and most of suburban DFW is completely incorporated in either one of the main cities or one of their suburbs. Look at a map of DFW, looks like a colorful quilt with very little if any unincorporated land left in the majority of Dallas and Tarrant counties and the bottom halves of both Denton and Collin counties.

Since the ISD boundaries were established when this area was largely agricultural and undeveloped, it has no rhyme or reason as to its corresponding city's city limits as those have expanded largely (especially in this corner of Collin County) in the last couple of decades. So, presently, you can be in the city limits of one city but in the ISD of another.

I am in McKinney and, also, the McKinney ISD. But there are parts of the city of McKinney that are districtied not only for Prosper ISD, but for Frisco, Allen, Melissa, Celina and Princeton ISDs. A native old timer told me that McKinney, being the county seat and for decades the only town of any size in Collin Co, they allowed the smaller ISDs to take larger swaths of land to help their enrollments.

I come from GA where the majority of the ISDs are county run and the few remaining city run systems will have their boundaries match exactly with the city limits. If a city with a city run system annexes unincorporated county land, the people in that area will become part of the city system and leave the county sytem.

Took me a long time to understand this boundary system in the ISDs in Texas. I am not a native or an expert, but this is the best explanation I have garnered by asking several long timers.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM

13 posts, read 35,433 times
The North Dallas Tollway does extend into Celina or I should say the North Dallas Parkway. The portion that you are charged to drive ends at Highway 380 but from there it continues into Celina with no toll. Celina is a very nice area with "Exemplary" schools. New Walmart just opened in Frisco and one at Custer and 380 as well. Celina does have a grocery store. It really depends on the lifestyle you desire. Most jobs are going to be further south but to some the trade off of a long commute is worth it. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM

55 posts, read 76,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2RN View Post
I loved Prosper during the year that I lived there.
I'm very surprised that Prosper allowed a "second-chance leasing" community move in. However,
I'm not surprised to hear bad things about those apartment kids. My unit was right next to the bus-stop. I think the ones that are into the drugs are highschool kids from the Estates of Prosper. I do agree that the complexes have a revolving door, much like other complexes.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
I loved Prosper during the year that I lived there.
I'm very surprised that Prosper allowed a "second-chance leasing" community move in. However,
I'm not surprised to hear bad things about those apartment kids. My unit was right next to the bus-stop. I think the ones that are into the drugs are highschool kids from the Estates of Prosper. I do agree that the complexes have a revolving door, much like other complexes.
I am not doubting that an apartment complex has the ability to increase a school system's number of students that delve into drugs and other illicit activites based on the transient nature of many apartment dwellers and the economic factors that lead many people into apartments.

HOWEVER, to think that drug use in ANY school system does not extend up to the most expensive gated estate community is beyond naive. I have teens in high school that will attest that socio-economic conditions are no barometer that one will or will not get into drugs. I am surprised but not shocked on the reports of who in their school is into such behavior. Goes right across the spectrum of residential choices of their parents.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM

861 posts, read 1,008,883 times
Default Prosper is a wonderful place to live

This is what I found when researching Prosper....

-The new high school is insane. The student teacher ratio that Prosper is aiming for is very low.Currently I believe it is 12 to 1

- They are strict with zoning and have 2 apartment complexes on the outskirts that appear to have been" grandfathered in".Future and current zoning looks on point.Lot sizes are kept large.Taxes are reasonable ,about 2.4 %.Retail is and will be put in the right areas and green space is preserved.The town has held out for a long time and been very picky about what they will allow in.Areas like Denton,Frisco and Mc Kinney have grown much faster ( and they are going to be or already are alot bigger in population,build out estimates are much higher ).Prosper is making alot of solid decisions to protect residents investments.

- The gates of Prosper by Jerry Jones is set to start construction in 2012.It looks unbelievable ( google it ).The town voted to start moving ahead with this in April 2011.It is i n the agenda notes from the last meeting viewable online.

- The new Costco will be 5 minutes away from Prosper

- Although far from Dallas,Prosper will be right off the new tollway extension and has some amazing natural terrain.Apparently this is what attracted Niclaus to begin with.

- 2 Equestrian centers !

- Prosper had a 25 percent population growth this past year.The houses are already priced high on huge lots.Besides for Glenbrooke there are no subdivisions doing new builds under $200,000.Prosper has the highest median home values in Colin County

- Just like Southlake, Prosper has the same Mascot throughout all grades.The eagle is the mascot for the whole district like the Dragon is the mascot for the Carroll district.I think this gives kids a great sense of spirit

- A Jack Niclaus golf club is coming in called Bearsbrook.along with it will be high end residential and a town center

-A very small old town that has potential to be quite nice.The cotton Gin cafe is amazing

- Palios is a wonderful weekend eating spot.Prosper is one of the few suburbs that really has a down to earth yet upper middle class ,small town feel

If you do not need to travel past North Dallas,Prosper is going to be one of the best suburbs to invest your money in.I researched DFW suburbs for about a year before we decided on Prosper.The most important thing to look at is the city zoning plans,the school system and the kinds of housing the city supports.Prosper is going to be an even more amazing town in a few years .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas