U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

563 posts, read 2,503,288 times
Question School vouchers in Texas???

Does anyone know if the school voucher program exists in Texas??
I only recently heard about it from someone from Tulsa. Supposedly the school district there actually gives you the funds that they would spend on educating your child so that you can apply it to tuiton for private school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,008,940 times
Nope.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM

14,481 posts, read 26,586,880 times
no--and hope it never does!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 AM

563 posts, read 2,503,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
no--and hope it never does!
thanks for your answer. Since the answers are fairly vague I think that perhaps my initial post was not clear . .

I only ask because I have heard of parents of children with disabilities who have used the voucher system in other states to get their children in schools were the organization was better set up to deal with the child's disabilities.
I'm not in favor of a voucher system for just any child but for children with serious problems who are in a public school system - where the budget is streched so thin that there is little funding for special programs - schools have become barely more than a babysitting service. I'm referring to a voucher program for children who need to be in schools that can provide intensive therapy services and counseling (physical, occupational, speech, psychological and what have you) instead of the slim services that most of our school systems can afford.

Frankly I should think that parents with 'normal' kids would be thrilled to have such a system in place since I have often heard parents complaining about how our 'special needs' kids take up all the teacher's time and attention. I have one of each group and can see the argument from both sides.

do you think there would be drawbacks if vouchers were in place for students needing more intensive care than that a public school can afford??

I can see that in the worst case scenario it might cause school districts to gently encourage special needs families to take the voucher and move on and that might lead to a cutting back of the minimal services that schools provide now. Besides that, what would be so terrible about vouchers in this case???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas