Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,222 times

Advertisements

I *do* get what you are saying, but it's funny Texas and California are the ONLY STATES I have lived in where COMPLAINING isn't the norm--it's the exception. I found it refreshing moving there from Louisiana and I dearly miss the attitude now living in Georgia.

There are things I don't like about Dallas...the weather in the summer and the electric bill to boot--but I'll take that over people who seem to be constantly depressed and negative about their state on a consistent basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I don't think 'infatuations' can last 50 years.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The Trinity Forest just isn't utilized. I hear about it but have not a clue as to how to get to a trail head or indeed, if there are trails. Isn't it in a flood plain? I don't know much at all about it.
As a person who likes to walk among the trees and such, I would also like to know more about the Trinity Forest. Does anyone have any links or info?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Although I agree with you, you are not going to get anyone in this state to agree with you. Most people in most states will gladly point out whats wrong with their area, but not here. They take it personal. Case in point, I once argued with a user on here about the lack of nice forest in the DFW metroplex. She argued with me up and down that this area had one of the nicest forests in the area (laughable, I know, lol). Some time ago I found a post from this same user complaining about the same thing I was complaining about. I guess since i'm not a native I'm not allowed to gripe about any of the area's shortcomings. Before anyone says it, I will slam my homestate in a minute. It has problems, and i'm not afraid to acknowledge those problems. I should have less than a year left here before I can move. Until then, i'm just trying to make the best of my last days here.
You can't take the trophy for being dumped for a negative comment, I'm a native and I was dumped on severely for saying the area wasn't the most naturally attractive place in the world. Happens to natives and non natives alike who are realistic about the areas natural beauty. There are very nice treed areas all over DFW, it just doesn't tend to be the rule.

To the Seattle resident, I wouldn't get to excited about walking through the trinity forest, usually the only time you hear about it is when they find another body that has been dumped there. There's talk about building a multimillion dollar park, but I have no idea how they plan on keeping it safe.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
I *do* get what you are saying, but it's funny Texas and California are the ONLY STATES I have lived in where COMPLAINING isn't the norm--it's the exception. I found it refreshing moving there from Louisiana and I dearly miss the attitude now living in Georgia.

There are things I don't like about Dallas...the weather in the summer and the electric bill to boot--but I'll take that over people who seem to be constantly depressed and negative about their state on a consistent basis.
And it's funny you say that because we encounter disgruntled Californians rather frequently....think that says a lot for Texas

But obviously do have people who hate it here. Rather than hating them for hating it here we just let 'em know where the nearest state border or airport is.

@the OP - have fun with them taxes in Wiscahnsin, kiddo. Ain't none of it getting you endzone seats at Lambeau. You'll be watching on TV just like me. The difference is 11 will be the channel my TV's set to, and not the temperature outside.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

And by the way the Great Trinity Forest is probably the largest urban forest in the USA.
The largest urban forest in the U.S. is Forest Park west of downtown Portland, Oregon.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Do you think Texas is so big, the people that hate it get lost trying to find their way out?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times
To the OP - we're leaving Milwaukee for Dallas. You can have our spot!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 13,115 times
I moved here last year because of Real Estate. I lived in So. Cali and 3 years in NYC prior.

I regret moving here. There's just no culture in this city. Dallas is dead compared to other developed cities. If you were from Europe or Asia, Dallas would never be your destination to see, I can't blame tourists for not wanting to see Dallas, there's nothing extra ordinary to see here that other states do not have.

I guess it would be a good move for people coming from smaller states. Dallas is not cosmopolitan, it's still far from being a first rate state.

The people were supposed to be friendly and polite. Excuse me, I have never met so many rude and flaky people in my whole life. They say New Yorkers are rude?! New Yorkers are very upfront and won't give you a lot of bs like Dallasites. They say LA is superficial? They haven't been to Plano.

Let's talk about the single scene... If you're into pretentious, there's Addison. There you will find a lot of pretentious $30K/year millionaires with no substance or souls.

Uptown is cool, people have more depth there. But you can only go to so many places so many times until you get sick of those places. There are not too many outdoor cafes here, I guess the weather is too hot to be outdoors.

Downtown area is dead at night except for a few pockets of night life here and there.

Let's talk about real estate. I thought since it's very affordable it was a good idea to invest in a house here. Well, if I had 10 years to wither some more in this state, I should see good appreciation--maybe.

Don't forget about the ridiculous school taxes. If you don't have kids and you own property, you still have to pay for school taxes. No exceptions!

Scenery-- well they have no beaches, mountains--just a lot of traffic and still lot of undeveloped land and tons of hay.

This state is good for families, especially for transplants who can't afford houses in the nicer states.

All in all, I am very disappointed that this city does not have a lot to offer for singles. I can't wait to move.

Last edited by cosmochick; 08-01-2007 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
You came here for real estate? So when are you leaving? Where are you moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas