Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM

85 posts, read 157,849 times

Advertisements

sorry i can't recall but you can call listing agent and ask to e-mail you all the details and do that for all houses that you want to see on your hunting trip. come and see things for yourself, do not let other people's biasis steer you away from good properties. this house may or may not suit your personal taste but this is a great area to live and invest. just make sure that you stay put for few years where ever you buy. right now every thing is unpredictable but that is the reason you can get good houses at great prices. welcome to lonestar state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
Lakewooder, I do not disagree with you. Those are beautiful pictures. What they don't show is that the surrounding areas are spotty. We often go "exploring" and just to give you and example - Swiss Ave. is stunning, but some sometimes just around the corner there will be an area where I don't feel safe.
I'd like to live closer to town, but this isn't about my choice. I'm reading what the OP wants, and it seems to me that W. Plano is the best match.
If you don't feel safe in the areas surrounding Swiss Avenue, you have clearly never been in a legitimately BAD neighborhood. Just because people don't share your skin color or language, don't own cars, and live in wood frame homes does not make it an "unsafe" neighborhood.

FWIW, the neighborhood off Midway just south of George Bush has more crime than Junius Heights & the neighborhoods surrounding Lower Swiss Avenue.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
Lakewooder, I do not disagree with you. Those are beautiful pictures. What they don't show is that the surrounding areas are spotty. We often go "exploring" and just to give you and example - Swiss Ave. is stunning, but some sometimes just around the corner there will be an area where I don't feel safe. .
Spotty as in SMU and the Park Cities? Our district adjoins:

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/highzones2011/Wilson2011.pdf (broken link)

I didn't post any photos of Swiss because I was concentrating on Lakewood Proper. However, it's also the same school district. I know people in Plano like everything to be uniform so you probably wouldn't like that section. Lakewood Proper is a huge area and if you really have been in there 'exploring' you would know that Swiss and the apartments along Gaston are totally out of sight and out of mind if you choose. You won't even see a stop light if you are truly in Lakewood Proper.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
Yes, My Wife's job is in downtown Dallas and so is mine but I can telecommute so its not an issue. We not the city type and would prefer a suburb with a short commute. She prefers hospitals near by and to stay within our budget. I know, I am a lucky guy.

momof2df! Where is this luxurious Garland? Is it near Dallas downtown? I am guessing that it is way over our modest budget like Highland Park that's why no one mentioned it before. I know we are expecting a lot for a limited budget.
Your commute would be about the same to downtown and at times less due to less traffic a wee bit to the east of Plano. But it would be on 75 Central Expwy vs Dallas North Tollway.
26 Brae Loch Garland TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11560574 - Realtor.com®

30 Dunrobin Garland TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11507491 - Realtor.com®

61 Dunrobin Richardson TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11526924 - Realtor.com®

Now, THESE are in a "quaint" neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano Guru View Post
sorry i can't recall but you can call listing agent and ask to e-mail you all the details and do that for all houses that you want to see on your hunting trip. come and see things for yourself, do not let other people's biasis steer you away from good properties. this house may or may not suit your personal taste but this is a great area to live and invest. just make sure that you stay put for few years where ever you buy. right now every thing is unpredictable but that is the reason you can get good houses at great prices. welcome to lonestar state!

They need to get an agent that will work for THEM! They need a good buyers agent. Dealing directly w/ the listing agents is going to take a lot of time and if they are not familiar w/ the areas and are only going to be here for a weekend this will WASTE valuable time.

They need an agent that KNOWS their needs, wants and desires. One that can let them know everything they can about each area and be honest with them. Relying upon each single listing agent to see houses is NOT the way to go and is a PITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you don't feel safe in the areas surrounding Swiss Avenue, you have clearly never been in a legitimately BAD neighborhood. Just because people don't share your skin color or language, don't own cars, and live in wood frame homes does not make it an "unsafe" neighborhood.

FWIW, the neighborhood off Midway just south of George Bush has more crime than Junius Heights & the neighborhoods surrounding Lower Swiss Avenue.

That area around Rosemeade, Midway and 190 is BAD! I'd rather my car breakdown over off of some side street around Swiss Ave in the middle of the night than to be sitting in the parking lot of that strip center at the corner of Midway and Rosemeade ANY TIME of day. There is a reason why Shuck n Jive closed their location there, it was getting BAD!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
They need to get an agent that will work for THEM! They need a good buyers agent. Dealing directly w/ the listing agents is going to take a lot of time and if they are not familiar w/ the areas and are only going to be here for a weekend this will WASTE valuable time.

They need an agent that KNOWS their needs, wants and desires. One that can let them know everything they can about each area and be honest with them. Relying upon each single listing agent to see houses is NOT the way to go and is a PITA!
I'm beginning to think Plano Guro owns that home....or knows the owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

That area around Rosemeade, Midway and 190 is BAD! I'd rather my car breakdown over off of some side street around Swiss Ave in the middle of the night than to be sitting in the parking lot of that strip center at the corner of Midway and Rosemeade ANY TIME of day. There is a reason why Shuck n Jive closed their location there, it was getting BAD!
Yup- my best friend lives off Frankford east of the Tollroad and they can hear gun shot on a fairly regularly basis coming from the Midway/190 neighborhood. Sketchy city.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM

64 posts, read 130,110 times
@4moving2dallas are you kidding? garland is not luxurious by any means. no one mentioned it because you asked for desireable towns. you can find a lot of house for your buck because people do not want to live there. houses that momofdfw posted are in a newer pocket where citylines meet for richardson/garland and homes on garland side are 100's of thousands below similar houses on richardson side. plenty of crime and too many registered sex offenders.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

303 posts, read 1,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

You have no idea what my skin color is! I've read enough of your posts to know that you come from a much more priviledged background.
Dallas is suburban, there is no benefit to living within the city limits. The suburbs do feel safer to me.
If you live in Dallas you still have to drive everywhere, it is not a walkable city.
FWIW, I wasn't recommending the neighborhood off Midway south of GB, was I?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymail View Post
@4moving2dallas are you kidding? garland is not luxurious by any means. no one mentioned it because you asked for desireable towns. you can find a lot of house for your buck because people do not want to live there. houses that momofdfw posted are in a newer pocket where citylines meet for richardson/garland and homes on garland side are 100's of thousands below similar houses on richardson side. plenty of crime and too many registered sex offenders.
You are TOTALLY clueless.
It has very nice luxury homes that ARE desirable and we have great schools to boot without the snobby attitude . And people DO want to live here. As a matter of fact most like and love it so much when they do get ready to move up or downsize they stay within the same school lines and within the city. Have you even BEEN to Garland and I don't mean driving down LBJ? The houses from the Garland/Richardson border in that area run the same per sq ft. Most of the people that live in this city are professionals be it doctors, surgeons, attorneys, teachers and many of the local business owners actually live in the city in which they work.

Please, you have no experience hardly at all with Dallas to start with much less each specific area. You are new to Dallas as well and clueless about the real estate here. You are becoming a joke.

As for crime........ my aunt and uncle that lived on Bermuda Dunes had plenty of issues w/ that as did my cousin that lived in West Plano when they had the cops chasing some drug deal gone bad right thru their backyard. Yes, that is NICE! NOT! I've been here for almost 20 years and have not had to deal with ANYTHING of the sort. Not to mention that area above that TC mentioned around Midway and Rosemeade........... CRIME INFESTED BIG TIME! Thank you very much

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM

85 posts, read 157,849 times
ha ha i do not own it. i almost bought a house in that subdivision but currently i own six properties so i decided to let it go for my financial comfort. i'm paying off mortgage on one of the properties soon so i may buy this one if it stayed on the market ... slow market can be a good thing some times

btw op you can check crime stats for this area and compare it with highlandpark, willow bend or any good area ... and do compare it with garland and dallas or any bad area as well ... i recommend that for any house you wish to buy.

Last edited by Plano Guru; 03-29-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas