Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times

Advertisements

garland is a crappy town and hills of breckenridge that momof2dfw listed has totally different values for homes with richardson city and pisd schools compared to one with garland city and schools and an ideal example to rest the case of adding garland even to the list of slightly desireable town. i picked a house here in a better pocket but now i would rather move to a crappy house in a better town if given the option again. resenting my choice and hating my realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No ma'am. Garland is really no different than Arlington, GP, or Mesquite. Arlington has plenty of nice areas (North Arlington, West Arlington, and Southwest Arlington). Arlington also has better retail and entertainment than Garland. I've been to Garland and I wasn't impressed. It was like another GP and I'm really not seeing why Garland is so much better than the group of cities I named. They are all, more or less, the same. All aren't really seen as "desirable" towns (though there has been a ton of growth in GP and South Arlington). Just average, blue-collar/working class suburbs with some newer nice parts. The "desirable" larger suburbs around here are McKinney, Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, etc. I shouldn't even have to list them, to be honest. Sorry, but Garland just does not fall into the "desirable suburbs" group. Maybe twenty or thirty years ago.
Sorry, but a trip down LBJ does not equate to knowing the city. Sorry, I'm a bit older than you, by a long shot. I know ALL of those cities you have listed a LOT better and you are so far off. GP and Garland do not even equate at all. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

By all means, let's listen to a 19-20 year old that lives in Arlington and couple of people that are not that familiar with basic real estate "rules" for the Dallas metroplex. Have fun ya'll

Oh well........... adios

Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM

990 posts, read 2,294,557 times
buncha snobs on this site. I'd think you all come from Beverly Hills and not underpriced Texas suburbs.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM

333 posts, read 636,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sorry, but a trip down LBJ does not equate to knowing the city. Sorry, I'm a bit older than you, by a long shot. I know ALL of those cities you have listed a LOT better and you are so far off. GP and Garland do not even equate at all. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Oh well........... adios
How? What is primarily different in Garland than the other cities listed?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,887,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Oh well........... adios
Yeah, my only view of Garland was off of LBJ. And age has absolutely nothing to do with it. Yeah, I'm only 19, but still am smart enough to realize that Garland is not on of the desirables. It might have been when you first moved there (however many years ago that was), but not now. Don't be upset though, it happens to almost every suburb. It'll be Plano and Frisco's time soon, and maybe by then, Garland would have went through some gentrification or something.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,397,061 times
Now that the conversation has shifted to the merits of Garland, I feel the need to chime in. I've lived in Garland for 2 years, Rowlett for 1 year before that. My wife was born and raised in Garland. That being said here are my thoughts on Garland.
Garland is really a peaceful town with low crime and decent schools. However, it is NOT one of the more desireble cities for one reason; there is no really high priced exclusive location on par with Willow Bend in Plano, or Starwood in Frisco. Thus if I had $700K or more to spend on a house, I wouldnt spend it in Garland unless I owned a business here or had some other strong ties to the city.

Now before Mom charges in, Firewheel is really more in the $300K to $500K range. It is a very nice area with newer housing, and would fit right in the middle to upper class parts of any other city in the metroplex, including Frisco, Plano and all the others. But for TRULY upper scale, but right under the HP level, I dont see any part of Garland that really has that. And I think that this might be part of what drags Garland down in the eyes of some people, especially out of staters...I think the high priced parts tend to pull up the rest of a city; for example, much of Plano, especially the east side, is really very similar to what you will find in Garland; older tract housing, but the perception of Plano is still tied to a large degree to the more affluent west side with the Willow Bends et al.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
You have no idea what my skin color is! I've read enough of your posts to know that you come from a much more priviledged background.
Dallas is suburban, there is no benefit to living within the city limits. The suburbs do feel safer to me.
If you live in Dallas you still have to drive everywhere, it is not a walkable city.
FWIW, I wasn't recommending the neighborhood off Midway south of GB, was I?
I know you weren't recommending Midway south of Bush.....my point was that there are many neighborhoods in the suburbs that are less safe/ more crime ridden than the neighborhoods surrounding Swiss Avenue. You can look up the crime stats if you want.

I think it should say something that I do come from a more "privildedged" background - as you say- and that even I can see that the neighborhoods surrounding Swiss Avenue are safe.

I live in the city of Dallas and I see MANY benefits- I live in a diverse neighborhood. I can & do walk to the West Village, Knox Street area, Katy Trail, Shops @ Highland Park on Oak Lawn, etc from my condo. I LOVE that! I love the skyline view from my balcony- especially the bright red sign atop the Stoneleigh Hotel. I love the gracious 75+ year old homes and mature trees in my neighborhood. I adorre the fact that there isn't a Wal-Mart or a Kohl's or an Olive Garden anywhere near my home. I love that I know many of the shop-keepers (my dry cleaners, shoe repair, tailor, etc) by name since my family has been patronizing their businesses for 30+ years. I can drive to the DMA or Winspear for an event and get there in 6 minutes flat. I live steps from the beautiful Katy Trail and use it every week.

My fiance lives in East Dallas and we regularly walk to dinner, drinks, brunch, etc from his home. Dallas is a lot more walkable than you realize. Many thousands of people live within a .25-.3 mile walk to restaurants & shopping. That's far less than I walked each day when living in NYC!

Maybe none of these things are "benefits" to you, but they are things I wouldn't trade for a home in the safe, bland, boring burbs if you gave me $1 Million.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano Guru View Post
lol guru is my user name not a claim ... and how am i wrong about garland not being a desireable town? average income? crime stats? average home value??????
Garland is what Plano will be in 20 more years.....and what Frisco will be in 40 more years.....an aged suburb.

Momof2 lives in a very pretty part of Garland - basically no crime, easy highway access, near Firewheel - which has almost all of the exact same stores found in West Plano at Park & Preston or at Fairview in Allen....

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM

333 posts, read 636,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Garland is what Plano will be in 20 more years.....and what Frisco will be in 40 more years.....an aged suburb.

Momof2 lives in a very pretty part of Garland - basically no crime, easy highway access, near Firewheel - which has almost all of the exact same stores found in West Plano at Park & Preston or at Fairview in Allen....
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'm looking at Garland overall, not just certain neighborhoods

Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'm looking at Garland overall, not just certain neighborhoods
Then look at Plano overall, not just certain neighborhoods.
Plano has plenty of rundown areas w/ unkept houses and yards and not all of it is on the east side either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas