Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM

17 posts, read 39,432 times

Advertisements

If my max is 700k than is it ok to look at houses between 700k-750k as well or there is not much room for negotiations in that market? Which town is more lively between Plano and Coppell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,707,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think you even looked before you posted.

The first thing that comes up is already wrong...the op wanted 4/4 study...and the first listing that comes up is 4/3 for over $700k.

Put the actual criteria in...you will see there isn't much out there. And I didn't even include a pool.
Did you notice how many of those listings had "PRICE REDUCED" and "priced for quick sale" comments in the write-up? That right there alone is enough to keep me out of that area. If there are that many houses in that price range in that small area that are "PRICE REDUCED"........... not a good sign.

As I said on up in an earlier post...... if the OP moves here and for whatever reason he, his wife or their kids just HATE it and they decide to move back or even try a different area.......... THEY ARE GOING TO BE STUCK WITH A HOUSE THEY CAN NOT SELL!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4moving2dallas View Post
If my max is 700k than is it ok to look at houses between 700k-750k as well or there is not much room for negotiations in that market? Which town is more lively between Plano and Coppell?
Neither town is 'lively.' LOL...that's why I like it here.

I agree with whoever said to come here, rent, and then spend a few months to a year looking around.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,127,387 times
Quote:
I am fine with anything between 3500-4000 sq ft but pool and study are a must.
I think you need to "up" your budget or flex on your criteria a bit more. Most people relocating to the Dallas area find that it's not as "cheap" as they were expecting unless they are willing to commute 60+ minutes and live in the far outer burbs.

Don't forget to bring a $19,000 check to cover your Coppell property taxes each year! (Or a $15,000 check for annual property taxes in Plano).

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Did you notice how many of those listings had "PRICE REDUCED" and "priced for quick sale" comments in the write-up? That right there alone is enough to keep me out of that area. If there are that many houses in that price range in that small area that are "PRICE REDUCED"........... not a good sign.

As I said on up in an earlier post...... if the OP moves here and for whatever reason he, his wife or their kids just HATE it and they decide to move back or even try a different area.......... THEY ARE GOING TO BE STUCK WITH A HOUSE THEY CAN NOT SELL!
Marketing ploys. Those houses were listed too high to begin with.

Been there. Seen that. A good house at the right price sells in two seconds.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I'd go with Coppell IF those were my only two options. Much more desirable. In your price range and criteria there are only FIVE houses for sale in Coppell:
4 Bedroom Coppell Homes for Sale - Real Estate with 4 bedrooms in Coppell, TX - Realtor.com®
It's a tighter market than West Plano.

I like the smaller schools vs the large mega high schools of Plano ISD. Coppell schools are very good.

However, with a budget of $700-750K and jobs in downtown Dallas........... I'd be looking in these areas over Plano or Coppell:
Park Cities
Preston Hollow
Lakewood
Lake Highlands

Still great schools, MUCH shorter commute, more settled areas and neighbors, more stable real estate market.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think you need to "up" your budget or flex on your criteria a bit more. Most people relocating to the Dallas area find that it's not as "cheap" as they were expecting unless they are willing to commute 60+ minutes and live in the far outer burbs.

Don't forget to bring a $19,000 check to cover your Coppell property taxes each year! (Or a $15,000 check for annual property taxes in Plano).
Don't forget the extra money for tolls AND the extra money for utilities for that BIG house in the burbs to commute to downtown Dallas.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah...did you notice that none of the 8 houses listed in Plano that fit most of the criteria were in the most established, desirable, stable neighborhood?

Op, there are so many cool places in Dallas to live; don't limit your options based on the opinion of a few people. Look around.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM

64 posts, read 130,075 times
op i recently bought a house in 75093 area and commute to downtown is around 25 minutes in normal traffic. you can easily find a house in 20's to meet your requirements for 700,000.
there is room for negotiation if you are not looking at your dream house or a paid off house since this is not a sellers market so feel free to look at houses upto 750,000.
my experience is limited but plano seems way livelier than coppell.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,127,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
However, with a budget of $700-750K and jobs in downtown Dallas........... I'd looking in:
Park Cities
Preston Hollow
Lakewood
Lake Highlands
I am a huge proponent of these areas, but OP is not going to find what he's looking for in any of them:

Park Cities- cheapest 4/4 under 25yo is a $975k listing. $700k range would have them looking at single-family-attached homes. They'd be brand new, but you'd have a 8x10 "yard" and would share a firewall with your next door neighbor.

Preston Hollow- would not send a kid to Hillcrest HS, so you'd be looking at private schools ($15-$30k per year per child).

Lakewood- The only homes that fit the size/ age criteria are some of the new construction near Lakewood Elementary. Cheapest one on the market is priced at $850k.

Lake Highlands- Would not sink $700k into a LH area home. Could probably find what he is looking for in the $500-600k range, but something tells me he's looking for a more "new & shiny" looking burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas