Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 15,887 times

Advertisements

Garland 75043 has 20,826 households . Houses have depreciated 1.6% over the last 12 months. There are 558 homes for sale in this location, including 510 foreclosures .Median House Value $127,900 registered sex offenders 78

75044 has 14,190 households . Houses have depreciated 1.6% over the last 12 months. There are 529 homes for sale in this location, including 271 foreclosures . Median House Value $161,910 registered sex offenders 28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyi 2011 View Post
Garland 75043 has 20,826 households . Houses have depreciated 1.6% over the last 12 months. There are 558 homes for sale in this location, including 510 foreclosures .
That is still a pretty solid middle class area w/ a good number of apartments. Does not compare at all to 75093.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM

:d foreclosures happen when people can not sell. why advice innocent new people to invest 700,000 in that area vs 75093.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Plano has 20,983 households . Houses have depreciated 1.4% over the last 12 months. There are 864 homes for sale in this location, including 211 foreclosures .
Median house Value $468,000
Property Tax 2.17%
Quote:
75044 has 14,190 households . Houses have depreciated 1.6% over the last 12 months. There are 529 homes for sale in this location, including 271 foreclosures . Median House Value $161,910 registered

In comparing the two, which I still do NOT! Never have tried to put them right up against each other apples to apples.

One has a lower population (our yards are larger ) and still has a lot of open room in large tracts that have not been developed because landowners won't sell (I'd love to have one of the large tracts left untouched myself ) Anyway, depreciation...... both pretty close. No big difference there really. Unlike how some have made it out to be, it's not dropping in value like it's a highly undesirable place to live .
We have less homes for sale and a few more foreclosures but not bad overall.

So, whatever.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
:d foreclosures happen when people can not sell. why advice innocent new people to invest 700,000 in that area vs 75093.
Hmm, how many foreclosures in Frisco and McKinney? How about the other areas of Plano?

Why do some people advise innocent newcomers to invest in areas w/ extremely HIGH foreclosure rates and an hour or more from their jobs for a daily commute? And in areas with HIGH foreclosures where pre-existing homes can not sell. Because the people relocating and going to those areas want the brand spanking new shiny house a few more miles down the street. Cause remember, anything over 2-5 years old is just, well, "outdated"

Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
All kids are like that growing up. They don't want to live where they grew up. I have no desire to live in the northern burb of Dallas that I grew up in. Besides, there has not been enough housing stock to absorb that many new families if even 1/4 of graduates of the schools here all wanted to buy a house and raise their family here.

Speaking of grown kids that live w/ parents. I've got family that lives with their parents and raising their own kid. They are in their 40's And from....... Plano. LOL!!! That's nothing new to any area really.

If I recall from old threads, you are originally from Carrollton? and if I recall further, one of the biggest things you had against that city was that it had gone downhill in your opinion, code wasnt kept up, undesirable elements crept in, property values went down...am I not correct? well this is similar to what my wife's friends feel...the Garland of today is not as good as it was 20 odd years ago, the only positive would be the Firewheel area, which wasnt there back then, but most people dont have 300 - 400K to buy a house in that area, so if you are not going to live there then there really isnt much else that would compare favorably with other suburbs.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
:d foreclosures happen when people can not sell.
Foreclosures also happen when buyers over extend themselves and try to hang on and some NEVER even TRY to sell. Also happens when good people lose their jobs and unexpected medical emergencies happen. Oh, and don't forget the builders that end up leaving blocks and blocks of brand new builds sitting half unfinished that have been foreclosed on.

That is if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of the situation.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:40 AM

regardless of what brings a house to foreclosure, mostly it happens because house wouldn't sell to pay off debt. in a desireable town your chances of coming out clean by quikly getting rid of your property are far brighter.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If I recall from old threads, you are originally from Carrollton? and if I recall further, one of the biggest things you had against that city was that it had gone downhill in your opinion, code wasnt kept up, undesirable elements crept in, property values went down...am I not correct? well this is similar to what my wife's friends feel...the Garland of today is not as good as it was 20 odd years ago, the only positive would be the Firewheel area, which wasnt there back then, but most people dont have 300 - 400K to buy a house in that area, so if you are not going to live there then there really isnt much else that would compare favorably with other suburbs.
Yes, I'm from Carrollton. My parents moved from Carrollton a few years ago and bought a very nice older custom home in Garland for around $220K and are THRILLED to be out of there. Their neighborhood is very well kept, has an active neighborhood association (no HOA), great neighbors and very little crime if any. The difference between the two cities code department and what they will turn a blind eye to when called repeatedly is night and day. I can honestly say that Garland is the much better of the two. You will notice even on these boards that when it comes to Carrollton the only place any one really looks and recommends is Castle Hills. The rest of the city is downhill and not kept up but it does not get the rundown that other cities do that actually have MORE to offer in terms of desirable areas. I've lived in Rowlett as well. My house there we built in 1997 is worth less now than what we paid to build it and it's in what should be a solid middle to upper middle class area. Values there have not held at all. It also suffers from a severe lack of housing for residents to "move up".

You CAN get a nice starter home in Garland for less than that. My first house would go for around $145K now and it's just on the other side of the mall, culdesac lots throughout the development, good neighbors and well kept. It's just that a lot of people today have the mentality that they need their first house to be equivilant to if not better than their parents house they are moving out of even though mom & dad took 20+ years to get to that point. Oh, and most think it MUST be "BRAND NEW". No, not everyone can buy or afford a $300-400K house. But that is the mentality on this board. People think that if someone can't afford a house in the $400K or higher range they are going to have to settle for "ghetto", rundown, bad areas, high crime and bad schools. When truth be told the overwhelming majority of homeowners in the Dallas area live in housing that runs more around $160K-$225K and in nice areas w/ good schools and very little if any crime with neighbors that are professionals from nurses, teachers, engineers, etc.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
regardless of what brings a house to foreclosure, mostly it happens because house wouldn't sell to pay off debt. in a desireable town your chances of coming out clean by quikly getting rid of your property are far brighter.
Then with that line of thinking why is there even one single house in foreclosure in the 75093 area of Plano.

Oh, what were those foreclosure numbers for those other areas like Frisco and McKinney?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas