Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

I know a Garland city councilman and a Garland school board member - they are very good at what they do and have a lot of passion and dedication. They grew up in Garland and are staying for the long haul.

Garland was never the "it" suburb. It grew organically out of being a medium-sized town.

It never got on the run to North Dallas, then to Richardson, then to Plano, then to Frisco, next to Prosper diaspora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
Having just moved out of Carrollton, I would say the assessment of that town is not correct. The stats posted on the high schools in Carrollton shows the district with a decent showing of National Merit Semi Finalists and a respectable showing in SAT scores. Particularly north of George Bush in Denton county, the town is quite convenient, the schools are good, and crime is low. We moved for reasons that had nothing to do with the schools or amenities, as they are more than adequate for the vast majority of people.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Having just moved out of Carrollton, I would say the assessment of that town is not correct. The stats posted on the high schools in Carrollton shows the district with a decent showing of National Merit Semi Finalists and a respectable showing in SAT scores. Particularly north of George Bush in Denton county, the town is quite convenient, the schools are good, and crime is low. We moved for reasons that had nothing to do with the schools or amenities, as they are more than adequate for the vast majority of people.
See R.L. Turner High at center of debate over schools in Farmers Branch | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
What is the gist of that story? It's not letting me in.

The folks I know whose kids attend high school in Carrollton are happy with the quality of the educations their kids are getting. The same may not be true of educating poor kids, but I would say the same is usually true in educating poor kids wherever they are.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,922 times
Depends on where your job is. If your working in Plano with about an 45 min or longer commute you have Prosper, Celina which are north of Frisco off Preston. Melissa, and Anna which are off 121 North of Mckinney.

If your working off of 75 in dallas I suggest Princeton, Lucas, New Hope area. I currently Live in Princeton but work in Dallas by Northpark. It's quiet a commmute but it's on they are quite opposite of each other.

Another Great area is Rockwall and Wylie if you work around I-30. They are all smaller towns with more land but great acess to Dallas.

All I can personally say is if you want no subdivisions and extra land avoid FRISCO and PLANO most of their houses are in HOA's and Have small lots. When I lived in Frisco none of my houses had a bigger back yard then 10x10.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 7,922 times
As far as the debate on Frisco schools I can tell you first hand the education is horrible. You have nothing but 22 year old teachers teaching high school kids. How do I know this I graduate just 3 years ago from a Frisco school. Worse part 2 of my teachers my senior year had been seniors when I was a Freshman. I don't discount new teachers and their abilities but when all your taught from are teachers still learning your education is going to lack. They focus so much on the TAKS and their "Reputation" they forget all about other basic skills or going more in depth on ANY subject.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I would love to know the percentage of college graduates form each school, or better yet the percentage of employed college graduates. SAT scores are almost as meaningless as TAKS scores. Years of study show they not only are worthless as predictors of future life success (earnings happiness etc) they are worthless as predictors of how you will do in College. They correspond pretty well to how you will do your first year, but have no correlation after that. Or as I remember on College admissions official saying "SAT tests are a very good indicator of how you will do if you take another SAT test. That is about it."

Thank you. +rep.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle18 View Post
As far as the debate on Frisco schools I can tell you first hand the education is horrible. You have nothing but 22 year old teachers teaching high school kids. How do I know this I graduate just 3 years ago from a Frisco school. Worse part 2 of my teachers my senior year had been seniors when I was a Freshman. I don't discount new teachers and their abilities but when all your taught from are teachers still learning your education is going to lack. They focus so much on the TAKS and their "Reputation" they forget all about other basic skills or going more in depth on ANY subject.

How is it even possible that someone who was a senior when you were a freshman completed 4 years of college + student teaching in 2 years time and was back at Frisco HS in year 3?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
How is it even possible that someone who was a senior when you were a freshman completed 4 years of college + student teaching in 2 years time and was back at Frisco HS in year 3?
Frisco Math?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 171,910 times
You will be able to find what you are looking for near lake lavon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas