Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:11 PM

113 posts, read 257,655 times

Advertisements

Currently shopping for a home in Plano, but heard about the battery plant that might be causing a cancer cluster in Frisco. Has that been resolved yet? Will the lead in the air float over to Plano from Frisco?

Also, are there other possible environmental hazards in Plano or surrounding cities? Culprits may include factories, refineries, industrial farms (fertilizers), military bases (industrial lubricants), etc.

Many people think environmental hazards only happen to poor neighborhoods, but that is simply not true. In Irvine, CA, residents are finding that an old air force base used to dump industrial lubricants into the ground and now it has developed into an underground plume that is traveling beneath some of the most expensive areas of Irvine.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2002 View Post
Currently shopping for a home in Plano, but heard about the battery plant that might be causing a cancer cluster in Frisco. Has that been resolved yet? Will the lead in the air float over to Plano from Frisco?

Also, are there other possible environmental hazards in Plano or surrounding cities? Culprits may include factories, refineries, industrial farms (fertilizers), military bases (industrial lubricants), etc.

Many people think environmental hazards only happen to poor neighborhoods, but that is simply not true. In Irvine, CA, residents are finding that an old air force base used to dump industrial lubricants into the ground and now it has developed into an underground plume that is traveling beneath some of the most expensive areas of Irvine.

It's impossible to know for sure. I'd relax a little regarding lead contamination around the plant in Frisco for one lead typically does not travel far.

Like it or nor there will be increased natural gas exploration around here and all over the country. Listen to President Obama tonight for more.

Good luck regarding your search.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM

113 posts, read 257,655 times
Thanks EDS. I will tune in for sure.

I have heard some interesting stories about the natural gas bounty. Rumors I've heard:
  • When a city discovers gas, every resident gets a cut of the profits (true?)
  • The drilling have caused tiny earthquakes but they're nothing to worry about.

Hmmm... OK I only had two items. Probably didn't need a bullet list.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:

I have heard some interesting stories about the natural gas bounty. Rumors I've heard:

LOL!!!

No, if they find gas on city owned property the CITY gets the proceeds. Same for the school district property. It's not enough to cut a check to every resident, ROTFL!!! Our check from our gas well came last week. It's split 4 ways (1/2 then 1/2 again). For 6 months it was a little over $2000. I can imagine the cities issuing a check for a penny or two to all residents. LOL!!!

Most of those earthquakes in North Texas have been down around Cleburne. That's a good ways from Plano.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
The battery factory is fairly far north in Frisco. From the factory to most of Central/ West/ East Plano is at least 10+ miles. I wouldn't really worry. Most of the research has shown the greatest harm would be within a 2 mile radius.

Quote:
Nope! You must own the mineral rights in order to get royalty checks. When natural gas was discovered in the Southlake / Colleyville area, some rights went to the sub-div developers (who owned the land at that time), some went to individual land owners, some went to the city if it was city-managed property. Some sub-divs banded together to negotiate as a group; others went it on their own.

Mineral rights do not change hands when property is sold. So if you were an original owner in Southlake, for example, and signed a deal with a natural gas company, whenever you go to sell your home, the mineral rights are not inclued in the sale & royalty checks will follow you.

Quote:

The drilling have caused tiny earthquakes but they're nothing to worry about.
Some tiny earthquakes near Midlothian (west of FW) have been attribued to gas drilling. Think they registered around 2 on the 10-pt scale. Minor tremors. I personally wouldn't want to live on top of that, but most of DFW is on top of the world's largest natural gas field (Barnett Shale), so it's unavoidable in a bunch of areas. As petroleum prices rise, the incentive to drill gas rises too (becomes more cost effecient).

Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM

53 posts, read 180,327 times
Quote:

I lived close to Irvine for 13 years - there are a lot of thoughts/issues about what was in that ground for many years...
We live in Plano and I have also heard/read about that "cancer cluster" and I am already concerned about cancer - (survivor here) - so I have stayed away from Frisco but am also worried as I live in Plano - pretty close to Frisco...

Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I rather enjoy two item bullet lists.

The mineral rights owner always gets a cut. Sometimes non-owners do too. My brother live just of the Trinity River just north of I20 in Forth Worth, he and his wife were paid ~$10K for 5 years drilling rights under heir house even though they didn't own any mineral rights.

Any earthquakes caused by drilling and hydo-fracking are trivial. We've been fracking in Texas since the late 1940s. There's nothing to worry about, coal mining causes worse earthquakes.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Listen to President Obama tonight for more.
Now why would anyone want to subject themselves to that..Most of the time when I listen to him, I walk away feeling dumber.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Now why would anyone want to subject themselves to that..Most of the time when I listen to him, I walk away feeling dumber.

I dislike his politics intensely. That said he IS our president and one clear problem in the US is our lack of a coherent energy policy. We sit on geometrically increasing proved reserves of natural gas, ever increasing proved reserves of oil and enough coal to answer our aggregate BTU load for at least 150 years. And we sit here like intransigent children crying about high gas/electricity/fuel oil prices and dependence on foreign sources of oil. When the short term answers are below our feet. And under The Gulf too. We need reliable BTU delivery to keep the economy from slipping into second world status. We need these things to bridge the gap until photovoltaic solar, thermal solar, wind or Mr. Fusion solve our energy problems long term.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:

Don't go by the news or exceptions. Generally the ozone is bad in DFW area. Its worse in California.To be realistic you have to consider the air quality around you and the time you are exposed. There are short term and long term impacts on exposure to various components. Some people are more sensitive than others. Another major factor is population. Densely populated areas or areas near highways or excessive retail are likely to have more extended pollution due to thousands of automobiles, establishments...etc compared to less populated areas with few industrial locations. Things like commute time and how much you time you spent in peak time stuck in traffic.Also consider the ability of the Town to enforce ordinances and ability to protect and listen to their residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas