Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:45 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella65 View Post
I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.
My husband and I are considering a move to Texas from S. California.
We are looking at S.A., Austin, North-Dallas, Fort Worth.

We are a fairly conservative Christian family.
Although we are Cal. Natives and love the climate, we are tired of the high cost of housing and the ultra liberal values economically and socially of our community.

I homeschool our two daughters so we are not particular about school systems.
My husband has a small recycling company and would like to continue running it .

We would ideally like to find a safe but affordable neighborhood.
Possibly small (1000-1500 sq. feet), older house in an established community, lots of churches, mature trees, community pools, parks, bike trails, lakes but would need to be relatively close to a city (20-30 minutes) for business.. We are seeking to spend about 100K or less

I would ideally like to involved in the "homeschooling" community.
Is anyone familiar with any groups out there?
I haven't been able to get much info. here.
Thanks so much!
LOL slam CA for it's ultra liberal values economically, then come up with this criteria?? oh'well good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 PM

173 posts, read 402,109 times
Mature trees? Emmmm. Any place in DFW with a house for 100k will have nothing u are asking for aside from that price tag. Would u seriously take your kids to a community pool in Dallas? Ever been here?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleDeeD View Post
If you are looking at Dallas, the places where the parks, lakes, trails etc are is East Dallas, a very liberal area. And you need a few hundred grand for a decent home, but probably would need more like 300.

She asked about both the Dallas and Fort Worth area. There are parks, lakes, and trails all over the DFW metroplex. East Dallas has no monopoly on such things.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 04-04-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
There are a lot of places all over that will have community amenities and conservative values, the problem is finding a home for the price the OP wants to pay.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM

129 posts, read 237,127 times
Wylie might be a little out of the way, but you might want to look into it.

For example here is a house in your price range:

319 Millstone Dr Wylie TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11533115 - Realtor.com®

800 Chickesaw Ln Wylie TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11489190 - Realtor.com®

Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
For the money, that's not a bad looking house at all! As long as the neighborhood is safe, and you say it is, they should check it out. Look how close it is to Lake Ray Hubbard, they can fish too.
It is a very safe neighborhood. There is an HOA that is active. The neighbors are school teacher & accountant. Kids play in the culdesac park areas. Safe to walk in and such.

It's just close to the Rowlett Creek Preserve bike trails that are VERY POPULAR and lots of mature trees along the trail.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM

31 posts, read 44,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
REALLY!!??

Here is a house for sale in Garland in my old neighborhood. I know the neighbors here and they are great families I actually had this same floorplan and this house "lives big". It's close to 190 without being on top of it, close to the mall and in a great area and the neighborhood is comprised of all the houses on culdesacs w/ park areas in the middle of each one.
2901 Periwinkle CT Garland TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11557825 - Realtor.com®
That is a really pretty house.
My husband will be making a trip in May to research.
Looks like I have homework to do!
Thanks for the suggestions.
ellabella

Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Having visited So Cal many times and loving it there, I would say you are making a mistake to leave!!! But we do know that housing prices are astronomical out there, and have seen several friends leave due to that. Surprisingly we found that groceries, entertainment, restaurants, clothing, etc. was comparable in price to what we see in ATL...it's those home prices that really eat up the rest of the budget.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I am always leery of MLS photos that omit to show the master bath

Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I am always leery of MLS photos that omit to show the master bath
Yup- if the kitchen & bath aren't photographed......watch out!!

Remember the adage "Kitchens sell homes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas