Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times

Advertisements

Looks that way. Saying goodbye to Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,452 times
We bought over near snider plaza just north of lovers...closing is April 22.

Pending bank appraisal our GA home is under contract and we have to move out may 28. Come June 1st I'll be a Dallasite...looking forward to it!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I am thrilled to have more regular posters on the forum who can help dispell the Park Cities stereotype and who represent the 21st Century Park Cities which is open and welcoming to all, including minorities.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
They are. And it's a huge selling point. Still my wife and I were prep school types and it's always a possibility if for whatever reason we ever need to move our daughter out.
I know a lawyer who went to Greenhill and another who went to St. Marks. Both their kids are now going to HPISD schools and claim that their kids have just as rigorous as curriculum at HPISD schools as they did in both of those top tier Dallas private schools. One is in an interracial relationship as well. Rest assured, you won't need to worry about a thing.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:26 PM

So far our experience has been very positive. Looking forward to making new friends!

We definitely break the stereotype, not only with our ethnic backgrounds but in the simple life we live. No fancy cars for us every 3 years nor second homes. Hubby will always be a saver not a spender. Our daughter currently attends an expensive private school (don't get me started on GA middle schools!) and has been able to remain grounded despite all the excess she sees on a daily basis. Our son is wired exactly like my husband, frugal to the core, so I don't even worry about him changing his ways any time soon.

No doubt we'll stand out, but I no longer fear we won't be accepted.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Same for us unless you consider Audi wagons fancy.

Our buying was fairly uneventful. People at times gave us a second look because we appear to be a couple in our late 20's. My penchant for wearing white cargo shorts didn't help the young look either. I can say the realtors all seemed to 'remember' my face very well. I guess I have that look...

Mami2emily, You're going to be at UP elementary then I suppose?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Zoned for UP elementary...

However my kids no longer require elementary school though. One going to the intermediate school and the other one to the middle school.

My husband has an A6 he's driven for 4 years now... past experience tells me he will be driving it at least 5 more years. He surprised me for my last birthday by getting rid of my 9-year old minivan, now I zip around in a little CR-V.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Zoned for UP elementary...

However my kids no longer require elementary school though. One going to the intermediate school and the other one to the middle school.

My husband has an A6 he's driven for 4 years now... past experience tells me he will be driving it at least 5 more years. He surprised me for my last birthday by getting rid of my 9-year old minivan, now I zip around in a little CR-V.
Cars are my one vice...

I commute about 20 miles a day and I love convertibles. Life would be simpler if I could keep cars for that long. I tend to lease and considering the fact my RS60 was hit 4 times in 2 years (between Dallasx2,Houston, daycare parking lot), I'm happy I didn't buy it outright. Porsche will definitely not be CPO'ing this car when I turn it in.

I tried an S4 for a few months and couldn't get into it, so all I have is a 2-seater now.

We had a '97 A6 in Philly, great city car. Good size for roadtrips to NY or DC and sold it with 175k miles and still made a profit on that sale. They love their Audis on the east coast.

People usually think we're an interracial couple, even though my wife is just Louisiana creole (black). But aside from one incident near the Galleria it hasn't been an issue.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Welcome!!
Glad you finally found a place. Your kids and you should be very happy in HPISD. I truely think it is like a free private school! The education is top notch.

If I had the money (and job was in Dallas not Ft worth!) I would buy in HPISD without a second thought!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am thrilled to have more regular posters on the forum who can help dispell the Park Cities stereotype and who represent the 21st Century Park Cities which is open and welcoming to all, including minorities.
When ganongrey buys us lunch at Dallas Country Club I might believe that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas