Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,123 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for a more "beachy" experience, you might also try Crystal Beach / Bolivar. It is just east of Galveston across the ferry. The houses there are on the beach with no sea wall. It was pretty much wiped out during Hurricane Ike, but coming back now. Check out VRBO for rentals. All houses over there, as far as I know.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
re: Crystal Beach and Bolivar. It's all houses and some have built back. The first two rows or so of houses in some parts of that area are gone. People that had houses 2-4 rows back are now "beachfront" in some cases. No hotels, condos or large resorts of any type. There are a few "dives" for dining and small stores. It's not touristy at all. Oh, and there is a "clothing optional" area over there.

If you do go over on the ferry from Galveston....... when you are in line in your vehicle to get up to stage to get on the ferry DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR FOR ANYTHING!!!! I thought people were making this up years ago when I heard it but it's the truth, the police are sitting over on the side waiting for people to exit their cars and they will ticket you. Sometimes there is no line to get on the ferry and other times you can wait 30 minutes or more.

As others have said, don't go to Galveston expecting crystal clear waters and fine sugary white sand. You will be disappointed and those are the ones that complain. Go to get away and relax and enjoy it for what it is. It has a lot of rich history. Visit the historical mansions and learn the history of the island. The Opera House is also a huge point of interest so check their schedule and get tickets in advance.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,525 times
The guy who said Galveston is mainly blue collar dosen't have a clue unless he thinks MDs are blue collar ? By far and away the biggest employer in Galveston is the "University of Texas Medical Branch", or just UTMB. The whole island economy is dependant upon that branch of the UT system and it employs thousands and thousands of people, which is a huge employer for a city of only 50 - 60 K. I know, I worked there in the late 1980s.
And be sure and eat at Gaido's because it's excellent, however know this: it is not cheap !
And here's a question for people who really know what's going on in Texas these days ? Is there any chance they'll ever get gambling in Galveston ?
It's my understanding that it's never recovered since "Ike" and they need the gaming industry for their economy worse then ever. It would be a perfect place for Texans to go and gamble, unless of course they just like to see their tax dollars go to gambling sites in OK & LA & NM ?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,127 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may head down there next month...as someone said, I would like to see a little more water than a lake, but I'll definitely keep an open mind.

I thought about South Padre Island as well, but I think that's a pretty long drive...and I might as well fly with gas prices the way they are right now!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The guy who said Galveston is mainly blue collar dosen't have a clue unless he thinks MDs are blue collar ? By far and away the biggest employer in Galveston is the "University of Texas Medical Branch", or just UTMB. The whole island economy is dependant upon that branch of the UT system and it employs thousands and thousands of people, which is a huge employer for a city of only 50 - 60 K. I know, I worked there in the late 1980s.
And be sure and eat at Gaido's because it's excellent, however know this: it is not cheap !
And here's a question for people who really know what's going on in Texas these days ? Is there any chance they'll ever get gambling in Galveston ?
It's my understanding that it's never recovered since "Ike" and they need the gaming industry for their economy worse then ever. It would be a perfect place for Texans to go and gamble, unless of course they just like to see their tax dollars go to gambling sites in OK & LA & NM ?
Your sanctimony is unbecoming. I like Galveston, but if someone is expecting Palm Beach, they will be disappointed.

I stand by my statement that Galveston is mainly blue collar. My brother in law recently graduated from UTMB -- so I'm very familiar with it. For example, I know that the school has a prison attached to it because the students work on the prison inmates for the State of Texas. The prisoners also have visitors, which brings in another undesirable element. There are many people who work at UTMB, but most of them are not physicians.

Baylor is in the decidedly blue collar town of Waco. That school is the town's biggest employer as well, but that doesn't make the city a white collar town. New Haven, Connecticut, where Yale is located, is another blue collar town where the college is the largest employer. A large campus does not change the town.

There is nothing wrong with being blue collar. In fact, I think we need more emphasis on blue collar jobs. But let's just call a spade -- a spade. Galveston's average income is $24,000. The state' average is $48,000.

You can go on ignoring what Galveston really is -- but the rest of us know better.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Your sanctimony is unbecoming. I like Galveston, but if someone is expecting Palm Beach, they will be disappointed.

I stand by my statement that Galveston is mainly blue collar. My brother in law recently graduated from UTMB -- so I'm very familiar with it. For example, I know that the school has a prison attached to it because the students work on the prison inmates for the State of Texas. The prisoners also have visitors, which brings in another undesirable element. There are many people who work at UTMB, but most of them are not physicians.

Baylor is in the decidedly blue collar town of Waco. That school is the town's biggest employer as well, but that doesn't make the city a white collar town. New Haven, Connecticut, where Yale is located, is another blue collar town where the college is the largest employer. A large campus does not change the town.

There is nothing wrong with being blue collar. In fact, I think we need more emphasis on blue collar jobs. But let's just call a spade -- a spade. Galveston's average income is $24,000. The state' average is $48,000.

You can go on ignoring what Galveston really is -- but the rest of us know better.

All it takes is one drive thru the area and one will see exactly what it is. It is what it is. And that is it is very blue collar. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
here's a great thread for those who wish to visit Galveston.
Beach photos give a good representation of water suft and sand...
Historic shots as well...Bishops Palace etc...

Galveston - Beach & Residential Photos 060307
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas