U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,597,829 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the posters above about the wisdom of holding back a child who is prepared for school. If the kid is going to crash and burn at school, and end up flunking a grade anyway - sure. But if he/she is ready to go, then the kid SHOULD go.

In my son's class, there is a child with a summer birthday who was held back. His mom was swayed by the very arguments put forth here. "He'll be a better athlete, and thus more popular." "Advanced academic performance goes away." And so on.

Well now, this kid is halfway through middle school, when he should, biologically, be headed off to high school.

He didn't magically become dumber over the years, so he's bored in class most of the time.

He never became an athlete, so he got no social "king of the hill" benefit.

He matured physically rather early for his age, which makes him stand out like a sore thumb among kids who are, on average, 9 months younger than him.

Socially, he's at a point where he's very interested in girls, while his peers are still big into fart jokes.

In short, he's out of place both academically and socially, due to being overaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,658,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the public schools will not admit child with Sept 1 birthday into pubic kindergaten no matter how mature or high the IQ is (hard to tell at that age anyway)

Best bet is private school--
AND your son won't be able to go into FIRST grade the next year--
he will have to start into Kindergarten again in public school--
CORRECT! The only option is private school IF you want them to start a year early. HOWEVER, not only will they have to move down to their age grade level if you put them in public school in the next few years you also will not be able to have your son in ANY G/T programs if he should qualify. To be in such programs you have to be the right age level for each grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I disagree with the posters above about the wisdom of holding back a child who is prepared for school. If the kid is going to crash and burn at school, and end up flunking a grade anyway - sure. But if he/she is ready to go, then the kid SHOULD go.

In my son's class, there is a child with a summer birthday who was held back. His mom was swayed by the very arguments put forth here. "He'll be a better athlete, and thus more popular." "Advanced academic performance goes away." And so on.

Well now, this kid is halfway through middle school, when he should, biologically, be headed off to high school.

He didn't magically become dumber over the years, so he's bored in class most of the time.

He never became an athlete, so he got no social "king of the hill" benefit.

He matured physically rather early for his age, which makes him stand out like a sore thumb among kids who are, on average, 9 months younger than him.

Socially, he's at a point where he's very interested in girls, while his peers are still big into fart jokes.

In short, he's out of place both academically and socially, due to being overaged.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

I have never for the life of me understood this concept of holding kids back that really do not need it. Sure, there are a FEW, A FEW, that probably need it but not this overwhelming large group that most seem to think. As the mother of 2 girls any boy that is a year older than them thru school but their grade I'm always leery of because they are more aware of the physical side of relationships.

Oh, and this whole boys mature slower than girls academically I call hogwash on. Sorry, but I've seen too many boys that were just fine by starting school at the year they were supposed to. In my older daughters kindergarten G/T class of 19 students 3 of the boys had summer birthdays. One of them, now in high school, is the top kid in the entire class and may be headed to TAM's next year. Yep, starting him on time in kinder was such a bad idea It's the parents that put this notion in these kids heads that they can't do the work. Let the kid go to kindergarten on time. If at the end of the year his teachers say that he needs to be held back THEN consider it. Give the kid a chance.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,199,749 times
This has got my curiosity since I'm pregnant and my child will have a November birthday. I guess this means my kid can't start school until they are 6? Is this true for ALL schools in North Texas? We will be living in the GCISD and I really hate to think that I will have to hold my child back an entire year because people in Texas think it's better for boys because of sports. I mean really? Isn't it 2011? I didn't grow up in Texas and I'm pretty positive it wasn't like this when I was going to school in California.

Can someone enlighten me on what I will have to go through to get my child into kindergarten when he/she is 5 instead of 6?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:11 PM

The cutoff for TX public schools is Sept. 1. Your November baby will attend kindergarten starting at age 5 years and 10 months.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The cutoff for TX public schools is Sept. 1. Your November baby will attend kindergarten starting at age 5 years and 10 months.
That's absolutely ridiculous!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,658,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
This has got my curiosity since I'm pregnant and my child will have a November birthday. I guess this means my kid can't start school until they are 6? Is this true for ALL schools in North Texas? We will be living in the GCISD and I really hate to think that I will have to hold my child back an entire year because people in Texas think it's better for boys because of sports. I mean really? Isn't it 2011? I didn't grow up in Texas and I'm pretty positive it wasn't like this when I was going to school in California.

Can someone enlighten me on what I will have to go through to get my child into kindergarten when he/she is 5 instead of 6?
Quote:
I've got one w/ a December birthday and one with a November birthday. It's not a big deal.

I seriously considered having my older one w/ the December birthday start kindergarten a year early in a private school. She was well ahead of the curve and was reading on her own at a very young age. Decided against it and just kept her in a good preschool program. She tested into our districts G/T program for kindergarten. She would not have been able to be in the G/T program throughout elementary if I had started her a year early in a private school. Now in high school and that was the best choice to make. She is with kids her own age and challanged by being in the programs she has been in. If she had started early and we put her in public school in her later elem years or middle school she would be in regular classes or honors and such but not the G/T in elem and middle school and the higher IB in high school.

Yours will still start when they are 5. They won't be 6 for another few months after school starts. There is not a single school district in the State of Texas that will allow you to start your child in public kindergarten at the age of 4. Oh, and don't forget........ if they did then your 4 year old would be in class most likely w/ those 6 year olds that the parents on the other end of the spectrum held back a year. That's a HUGE age difference.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM

695 posts, read 795,692 times
My son was born three weeks after the cutoff. He wound up doing two years of kindergarten and it wound up being no big deal. He is at or near the head of the class academically, is a straight A student most years. I've known parents who held their small sons back an additional year, and I don't think the kid got much benefit out of it.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I've got one w/ a December birthday and one with a November birthday. It's not a big deal.

I seriously considered having my older one w/ the December birthday start kindergarten a year early in a private school. She was well ahead of the curve and was reading on her own at a very young age. Decided against it and just kept her in a good preschool program. She tested into our districts G/T program for kindergarten. She would not have been able to be in the G/T program throughout elementary if I had started her a year early in a private school. Now in high school and that was the best choice to make. She is with kids her own age and challanged by being in the programs she has been in. If she had started early and we put her in public school in her later elem years or middle school she would be in regular classes or honors and such but not the G/T in elem and middle school and the higher IB in high school.

Yours will still start when they are 5. They won't be 6 for another few months after school starts. There is not a single school district in the State of Texas that will allow you to start your child in public kindergarten at the age of 4. Oh, and don't forget........ if they did then your 4 year old would be in class most likely w/ those 6 year olds that the parents on the other end of the spectrum held back a year. That's a HUGE age difference.
You make a very valid point. Thank you for that!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
What's ridiculous about it? Your child will turn 6 during kindergarten, 7 during 1st grade, etc., until he/she turns 18 during the fall of 12th grade. By 12th grade graduation, all the kids are 18 except the summer birthdays. AFAIK, that's standard.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What's ridiculous about it? Your child will turn 6 during kindergarten, 7 during 1st grade, etc., until he/she turns 18 during the fall of 12th grade. By 12th grade graduation, all the kids are 18 except the summer birthdays. AFAIK, that's standard.
Did you not see what I posted directly above your post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas