U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 41,634 times

Advertisements

after seeing fire damage on a friend's staircase and listening to his horror story of jumping from second story window with his toddler, we learned value of two staircases vs value of cosmetic upgrades. every double or multiple story house must come with an alternative staircase or a fire escape ladder. dual staircase may be a NEED of pretentious folks but too gaudy for us commoners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM

85 posts, read 89,322 times
I think dual staircase and turret look majestic in castles and hotels but one has to have a delusion of grandeure to put it in a few thousand square feet home.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,783,547 times
I think they mean "dual" as in a back staircase offthe kitchen or den and then 1 in the front entryway as well. I Would love one of these, where it leads to kids bedrooms and playroom etc...

Not dual where two sides meet up on balcony to form 1 staircase. (I too don't like these in houses, waste too much floor space)

Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,956,657 times
A back stair case is extremely functional and helpful. A side by side dual staircase is worthless.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I think they mean "dual" as in a back staircase offthe kitchen or den and then 1 in the front entryway as well. I Would love one of these, where it leads to kids bedrooms and playroom etc...

Not dual where two sides meet up on balcony to form 1 staircase. (I too don't like these in houses, waste too much floor space)
I love my two sets of stairs. One in the front foyer and one in the back off the kitchen and by the utility room. It's also great that the media room is the first thing you come to up the back stairs so when going from the kitchen w/ drinks and snacks you don't have to trace across the house to the front stairs and then across the top floor to the media room Saves wear and tear on carpets.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM

14,642 posts, read 27,923,841 times
design is everything

you just need a house big enough to make a dual staircase workable

Colleyville put in a traffic circle on Glade Rd--very busy double lane road--that had a 4 way stop which was a PITA during busy times--and people would cheat/not pay attention--all the ilks of 4 way stops--

but the traffic circle is TOO SMALL--it is a stupid design feature that might look neat but is not that great--
but Southlake has a functioning traffic circle that actually does work very well for intersection that is busy only at certain times of the day

so it was more case of copy cat wanna-be--

and some houses are designed just that way--

IF someone is reeally worried about fire and wants two stairways for protection--they should never live in house where the master is down and the children sleep upstairs--running upstairs in that case might be impossible from either one

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,244 times
We were told that we can get a Texas McMansion for $500,000 hence the list of NEEDS. What is the real story? What is it that $500,000 get you in a nice area near West Plano Sr High?

Last edited by need2bfit; 04-12-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,244 times
I meant dual staircase because Mrs. loves it but after reading your posts, I would swap it for two sets of staircases. It makes sense to have that for functionality and emergency.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2bfit View Post
I'll be in market by end of may for a house near west plano high school. My wife came up with a list of our NEEDS : a 5-20 year old house, 3 or 4 bedrooms, front entry or j-swing garage for 3 cars, formals, pool, dual stairs, golfcourse, greenbelt or creek view, study, lots of windows, high ceilings, culdesac, stucco, spanish or mexican style. How much money do we need?
Quote:
We were told that we can get a Texas McMansion for $500,000 hence the list of NEEDS. What is the real story? What is it that $500,000 get you in a nice area near West Plano Sr High?
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!
Um, did anyone also mention the costs of the property taxes of said, "Texas McMansion" and the utilities of such? A $500K house that is in a nice area is going to run you around $10-15K PER YEAR in property taxes.

For $500K you better start scratching a lot of those "NEEDS" real fast for Plano West attendance zones.

Texas real estate is NOT "cheap" like many have heard. There is a lower cost of living ONLY if one lives strictly below ones means and some can finally afford to buy a house, even a very small older home compared to where they were coming from. Cheap it ain't.

Quote:
I meant dual staircase because Mrs. loves it but after reading your posts, I would swap it for two sets of staircases. It makes sense to have that for functionality and emergency.
Well, the Mrs. better hightail it down here and see just what is available within your budget and don't forget to look at the property taxes, maintenance and utilities of that "Texas McMansion".

Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM

8,352 posts, read 11,420,024 times
Quote:
Can you get a Texas McMansion for $500k? Sure! But you're going to find it in a further out/ less desirable suburb. Check Wylie, McKinney, Prosper, Little Elm, and Rowlett.

Most relocatees quickly figure out that a home in the affluent neighborhoods that are desirable and have the best schools cost almost as much in DFW or Houston as they do in the NYC burbs, Chicago, DC burbs, Seattle, etc.

From the looks of what's on the market in West Plano, $500k is a 4/3 built in the 1980s or early 1990's. 3-4k square feet. Maybe a pool. Small lots- .2 acre average. Mostly traditional in style, with red or tan brick being most common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas