Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

20 posts, read 41,147 times

Advertisements

Hello again guys! So my husband and I will be down there all next week looking for a few rental homes in Frisco and Plano... also in McKinney. My husband got a job offer in McKinney. We are from Wichita, KS... so I was wondering for all of you that know about your area which you would prefer to live in? Frisco or Plano? Since Wichita is relatively small compared to Dallas and surrounding areas I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into! Our son is 6 and I want him in good schools. I have seen a few bad things on here about McKinney schools... so thats definately a red flag. I want to know if these areas have a lot of crime too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Very little crime in Plano or Frisco. Plano & Frisco both have good school districts.

Plano's is much older and more established....excellent track record for very high SAT scores & great college placement (Harvard, Yale, etc admit Plano grads every single year). Plano is also a much bigger school district- 50,000+ kids all feeding into 3 senior highs with graduating classes of 1,400-1,700 each.

Frisco's school district is growing rapidly but not seeing the same kind of SAT & college admit excellence as Plano & other top-tier districts. Frisco took the "small school" approach with many high schools (6 or 7 & couting) with 500-700 students in each class.

If his job is in McKinney- and I agree, the McKinney schools are not great, I would look into Allen (suburb immediately to the south of McKinney along 75) and Central Plano (between Dallas North Tollroad & 75 for commuting ease). Allen has excellent schools & also offers affordable newer homes, if that is what appeals to you.

Here is a blog you can peruse that has many posts about the Dallas area schools (including McKinney/ Allen/ Frisco/ Plano) - SAT scores, National Merit Scholars, where top graduates are going to college, etc.
Dallas, Texas Area School Information

I realize you have a 6 year old and high school is a long ways off. If you think you'll only be in Dallas a few years, pretty much all elementary schools in the burbs are equally good. If you think it's a permanent move, I urge you to strongly look into high school performance as that is where some districts really seperate themselves from the others.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I like Plano better because it is closer in to Dallas. Big question: are you planning on working? If so, I would definitely choose Plano. If not, go by the school and the house. You can find out what school each house is served by and check out that school's ratings. Many schools have their own websites, too, where you can learn about them. Here's a pretty cool map to use to learn about school ratings. Its from 2010, but also has each school's history to help see the trend at that school.

TEA ratings for Dallas - Fort Worth area schools

Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Thank you so much! You are always so helpful! I have been looking mainly at Frisco... Plano having 1,400 kids in one graduating class?!?! Thats crazy!! lol My graduating class was 575 I believe in a suburb of Wichita. I grew up in a town where "everybody knows your name" I want to stick with that kind of feeling but not exactly that ya know? We would prefer something a bit newer... actually I have been in contact with a realtor down there and he has sent me the MLS list for the rentals. These rentals are amazing compared to what you get in Wichita. Its unreal! You get a lot more for your money down there too which is always a plus!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Well right now I'm not working due to the fact that there just isn't anything. Wichita has been hit VERY hard with the economy. Since its mostly aircraft here. I'm in the medical field and would love to find a part time office job or even full time and that was my next question. If I lived in those areas what would be an ideal town to work in? Is there a lot of medical jobs?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnks View Post
Well right now I'm not working due to the fact that there just isn't anything. Wichita has been hit VERY hard with the economy. Since its mostly aircraft here. I'm in the medical field and would love to find a part time office job or even full time and that was my next question. If I lived in those areas what would be an ideal town to work in? Is there a lot of medical jobs?
Yes, lots of big hospital branches in Plano (Children's, Presbyterian/Texas Health Resources) as well as the PrimaCare emergency medicine-type places. The hospitals in Plano are mainly along the Dallas North Tollroad & Parker Exit or along the 190/George Bush Tollroad on the south border of Plano.

The rest of the big hospitals & specialized hospitals are in Dallas, south of the 635-LBJ "loop" and close to downtown in the Medical District. Major hospitals are: Presbyterian Dallas, Medical City, Baylor, UT Soutwestern, Parkland (Dallas County Hosptial), Children's, Scottish Rite, etc.

If there is a chance you could end up with a medical job in Dallas, Plano is your better bet because it is central (between the two major north/south freeways- the Dallas North Tollroad & 75) vs Frisco which is more off to the west and it is about 20-25 minutes closer to Dallas (vs Frisco) in rush hour traffic. Plano to downtown Dallas is about a 25-40 minute commute, depending on your exact start & end points. Frisco is 45-75 minutes.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnks View Post
Hello again guys! So my husband and I will be down there all next week looking for a few rental homes in Frisco and Plano... also in McKinney. My husband got a job offer in McKinney. We are from Wichita, KS... so I was wondering for all of you that know about your area which you would prefer to live in? Frisco or Plano? Since Wichita is relatively small compared to Dallas and surrounding areas I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into! Our son is 6 and I want him in good schools. I have seen a few bad things on here about McKinney schools... so thats definately a red flag. I want to know if these areas have a lot of crime too?

McKinney schools are awesome. I have my three kids in MISD and love it. A lot of the "rumors" on MISD are 2nd hand stories and the one main one that's on here is not a complete story.

McKinney is an a awesome place for families and if you're husband's job is in McKinney I would look in there. There is hardly any crime in McKinney, mostly property crime. There are some cases of violent crime, but very few incidents, and mainly w/ those who are in that type of lifestyle.

McKinney is very family friendly, has lot's of things for families to do and very much on par w/ Frisco. Plano is a much larger area, and not far from McKinney (depending on where you're looking-traffic wise). If you've got specific questions on McKinney I would be glad to answer them.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM

85 posts, read 158,440 times
god knows where any of us will be in 12 years so size of senior high school is not a factor for 6 yr old's schooling. imho if kids r bound for college than big high school can prep them better. having said that, plano has better track record for schooling & house resale. resale in frisco is tough because there are new homes popping out every minute. plano has better hospitals,more jobs,shopping etc. and short commute to dallas and airports.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I personally prefer Plano because its more versitle. It really is a place where there is something for everyone no matter race, religion, nationality, old, young, etc. Frisco is more shiny and new, but its Plano for me.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano Guru View Post
god knows where any of us will be in 12 years so size of senior high school is not a factor for 6 yr old's schooling. imho if kids r bound for college than big high school can prep them better. having said that, plano has better track record for schooling & house resale. resale in frisco is tough because there are new homes popping out every minute. plano has better hospitals,more jobs,shopping etc. and short commute to dallas and airports.
I spent K-12 in the same school district, as did my fiance and most of our friends.....and I'm not just talking HPISD schools. Lots of these peopel grew up in Plano, Richardson, Coppell, Fort Worth, private schools, etc. Not everyone is a reloating nomad. It's better to buy with the future in mind so you're not moving kids away from their friends 5 years from now - unless you truly know it's a 2 or 3 year "stint" in Dallas, then onto the next city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas