Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,965 times

Advertisements

We are relocating with a toddler and infant from Lake Mary, FL to Dallas Tx. If anybody has knowledge/experience with Lake Mary or Seminole County in general, do you have any insight into comperable areas in or around Dallas, TX? We'd like to find an area that offers the same 'feel' as Lake Mary: Laid back/quiet, good schools, moderate commute time to downtown Dallas (30-40min max), plenty of young families and community activities, etc. For reference, we drove around Plano during a house hunting trip and weren't impressed-- it just seemed to generic, busy, and mass suburbia for our tastes.

We will likely rent a house at first with a budget at or near $2k/mo. A back yard to play in is important. We like Twin Creeks in Allen and Flower Mound seemed very nice although the commute looks like it might be a little tough.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 AM

333 posts, read 637,425 times
Commute from either of those will be long

Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,450,052 times
I lived in Orlando for 12 years. Mostly near the UCF area. Now I live in Plano. Allen and Plano are very similar to Lake Mary.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Have you looked at Rockwall (eastern suburb of Dallas, about 30 minute drive into Downtown Dallas?)

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,965 times
TC, a little. I have a coworker who lived in Rockwall and recently moved to Orlando. He said he liked it but many of the famlies were dual-income so there aren't many stay at home moms/moms groups to get involved in. Any insight?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

6,758 posts, read 13,969,062 times
I would guess most of the families in Rockwall are dual income households. I would venture to say this is the case in most of the suburbs. I would take a look at Richardson and Rockwall.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,779,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwgar6 View Post
TC, a little. I have a coworker who lived in Rockwall and recently moved to Orlando. He said he liked it but many of the famlies were dual-income so there aren't many stay at home moms/moms groups to get involved in. Any insight?
I've got several friends in Rockwall and none are dual income. There are a TON of ways to get involved in Rockwall. One of my friends is at some kind of volunteer or school thing almost every day. Her and her daughter are volunteers at the library and there is a yearly volunteer luncheon they go to. There was a golf tournament this past weekend that was for charity that a local group organized that had all volunteers working it from serving lunch and drinks to everything in between. There is also a camp just outside of Rockwall that a lot of people volunteer at. It's for overnight and school field trips. I'd say there are more stay at home moms than not in Rockwall from my own perspectives and being out there during the day be it having lunch or shopping.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM

695 posts, read 1,444,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwgar6 View Post
It really depends on whom you ask. From my perspective, there are tons of single-income families in Dallas. I would just ask around and maybe look for some community calendars and so forth in the area. In my area, there are tons of activities scheduled for families during working hours.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I would guess most of the families in Rockwall are dual income households. I would venture to say this is the case in most of the suburbs. I would take a look at Richardson and Rockwall.

I don't think dual-income families are just a suburb thing or a Rockwall thing....I think they're a living in the USA in the 2000's thing.

That said, Rockwall is less "cookie cutter"/ typical suburb USA-looking than Plano/ Frisco / etc which OP didn't like. It has a laid back vibe due to being a lakeside community. It has great schools and a lot of community spirit. Lots of young families, churches, playgrounds & parks, etc.

OP- there are a ton of working moms in DFW. You are not going to find a community dominated by SAHM's anymore. They just don't exist, not even in the really affluent areas. However, not all moms work. There are still lots of moms to connect with who do stay home- via the PTA or other school support activities, through churches, through volunteer work, etc.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,779,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't think dual-income families are just a suburb thing or a Rockwall thing....I think they're a living in the USA in the 2000's thing.

That said, Rockwall is less "cookie cutter"/ typical suburb USA-looking than Plano/ Frisco / etc which OP didn't like. It has a laid back vibe due to being a lakeside community. It has great schools and a lot of community spirit. Lots of young families, churches, playgrounds & parks, etc.

OP- there are a ton of working moms in DFW. You are not going to find a community dominated by SAHM's anymore. They just don't exist, not even in the really affluent areas. However, not all moms work. There are still lots of moms to connect with who do stay home- via the PTA or other school support activities, through churches, through volunteer work, etc.
Rockwall also has a lot of different events they host on the square. Founders Week is coming up I believe. They also have an artisan fair twice a year on the square. It's still got the small town feel even though it's grown a lot. We were at Zanata's the other night and saw a lot of people we know. It seemed everyone there knew someone else there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas