Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times

Advertisements

Interesting Article of D Magazine "Why they feel Dallas has advantage over Fort Worth"

What do you guys think?

D CEO : Why Dallas Has the Edge on Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,888 times
I have to agree with the premise of the article. I think it is a horrible shame that Fort Worth rejected the streetcar. Personally, I am not a fan of Fort Worth but even I was shocked at that move. I do look forward to ridership on DART increasing, as well as dense development around existing stations. The economy has dealt quite a blow to the relatively new rail system. However, I am very optimistic for the future of DART and this California transplant can't imagine Dallas without it. DART is in dire need of new management. The system has outgrown the inept group that runs the show now. Not all of them are incompetent but from where I sit I say that the majority is. DART is an asset to the city of Dallas, whether her average citizens know it or not yet.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
while I agree that in the matter of transportation Dallas is ahead for FTW there are some other factors that are more borderline--
FTW went with spending money on police because at that time there was real crime problem in FTW--
the irony is that adding police has also increased the issue of pension burden to the city--which better take a hard stance to get that in line and stop giving in to the union--the FTW police dept has enough dead wood and bad policy decisions to weight down any efforts to save it unless strong measures are taken--
the city leadership is more interested in in-fighting than taking care of business--

while great cities might also have great transportation systems--they usually do because it was forced down the citizens throats here in the US--
in Europe public transport came because most people could not afford cars--not the problem here
unless cars are too expensive to operate and public transportation addresses the needs of people to have public transportation that works FOR ALL NEEDS--not just commuting to work--it won't truly be functional

I just don't see how public trasport can work in areas like Tarrant county where there are so many different city boundaries, ruling boards, and tax interests to design a system that I could use on daily basis vs my own car--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: