U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM

35 posts, read 92,895 times

Advertisements

Me and my friends have been trying to figure out a way to take some kind of public transportation from North Dallas to downtown on the weekends. The problem is we all want to do some nighttime drinking and check out the bars/clubs, but all the public transportation seems to stop pretty early, even on the weekends.

Does anyone know of a way, besides just taking a taxi, for us to travel from the Addison or Richardson area into downtown and be able to return at night, say at around midnight? Doesn't public transportation run 24hrs/day in most cities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:31 PM

333 posts, read 582,516 times
yes, in most cities it does. good luck though, i live off montfort and beltline basically and it's a one way $40 cab drive to downtown

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
yes, in most cities it does. good luck though, i live off montfort and beltline basically and it's a one way $40 cab drive to downtown
Yea, screw that. I live right across the highway from you (Addison Circle) and will just spend my $80 taxi cab fare on drinks around here.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,281,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Guy View Post
Me and my friends have been trying to figure out a way to take some kind of public transportation from North Dallas to downtown on the weekends. The problem is we all want to do some nighttime drinking and check out the bars/clubs, but all the public transportation seems to stop pretty early, even on the weekends.

Does anyone know of a way, besides just taking a taxi, for us to travel from the Addison or Richardson area into downtown and be able to return at night, say at around midnight? Doesn't public transportation run 24hrs/day in most cities?
If you want to return at around midnight, the DART red line will still be running then, albeit at large time intervals. (I think every 30 minutes or so..maybe a bit more frequently?) So you can still use that.

Of course, then you're stuck in a parking lot, needing to get home. Maybe the wait time for the train could sober you up, or something.

Basically its not easy.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
If you want to return at around midnight, the DART red line will still be running then, albeit at large time intervals. (I think every 30 minutes or so..maybe a bit more frequently?) So you can still use that.

Of course, then you're stuck in a parking lot, needing to get home. Maybe the wait time for the train could sober you up, or something.

Basically its not easy.
Hmmm, good to know. I thought it stopped earlier, at like 10:00, but I could definitely be wrong. Situations like this make all the drunk driving problems around here somewhat understandable. It even seems somewhat irresponsible of the city to not have a safe way for drunk people to get home from bars.

All I ask for is the ability to get hammered on the weekends and to rely on the city to get my drunk a$$ safely home afterwards. Seems like a reasonable request to me.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, good to know. I thought it stopped earlier, at like 10:00, but I could definitely be wrong. Situations like this make all the drunk driving problems around here somewhat understandable. It even seems somewhat irresponsible of the city to not have a safe way for drunk people to get home from bars.

All I ask for is the ability to get hammered on the weekends and to rely on the city to get my drunk a$$ safely home afterwards. Seems like a reasonable request to me.
Oh, I agree, it is a big problem. It is why I'm looking to relocate closer to town soon - more fun, less hassle.

But yea, the DART runs past midnight, but not much past midnight.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM

12,492 posts, read 24,296,051 times
If you are someone who goes out a lot, it can be cheaper to pay $100-200/mo more in rent to live where you play vs pay for $40 cab rides every week.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you are someone who goes out a lot, it can be cheaper to pay $100-200/mo more in rent to live where you play vs pay for $40 cab rides every week.
This is sound advice.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,768,449 times
Quote:
It even seems somewhat irresponsible of the city to not have a safe way for drunk people to get home from bars.
I've said this before myself. Even Chicago's transit shuts down around midnight. They shut it down when we need it open the most.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:03 AM

32,696 posts, read 51,384,263 times
Situations like this make all the drunk driving problems around here somewhat understandable. It even seems somewhat irresponsible of the city to not have a safe way for drunk people to get home from bars.

Actually it is against the law to serve people enough liquor to make them "drunk"--legally.
A bartender/waitress is suppose to monitor the condition of people they are serving and stop giving them more to drink when they become intoxicated. It is called "overserved".
Unfortunately most bars/clubs don't follow that rule--
If you are old enough to drink that implies you have enough common sense not to abuse alcohol.
When my daughter and her friends would go out to West End or Stockyards when they were in college and after they had a designated driver--
and that person had two drinks and then nothing alcoholic for rest of evening--
Yes--I guess you would say that is a sacrifice--and it was so they took turns doing it.

I don't know why tax payers should subsidize your desire to get drunk--if you can afford to drink that much take a cab...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas