Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM

72 posts, read 216,393 times

Advertisements

I am building a home. Want to get rid of fireplace since I am pretty sure I will never use it. But the agent told me it would be a bad idea since most people want to have it. But seriously .. a lot of people use fireplace in DFW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Some people- like my family- use them religiously from November to Feb/March (or May 1st when it's 48 degrees outside!). Other people like to have them to have a focal point for furniture and to use the mantle. Many people like both indoor & outdoor fireplaces.

Bottom line- I would not scrap your fireplace.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I acree with TC80. A house without a fireplace will negatively affect your resale. If possible, put in gas logs to avoid the mess of a wood-burning fireplace.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea82 View Post
I am building a home. Want to get rid of fireplace since I am pretty sure I will never use it. But the agent told me it would be a bad idea since most people want to have it. But seriously .. a lot of people use fireplace in DFW?
Don't get rid of it as many do want one even if they don't plan to use it.

Just make sure that it is built properly. I would also have your builder explain and actually demonstrate the use of the fireplace as part of your final walkthrough and briefing, or at least have them build one fire and demonstrate it in your first year. This is to make 100% certain that it does function and there were no problems with it when built. Have the builder explain not only the use but how it was built and also show you the chimney and/or flue and where it was run, etc. It does not happen often but there are installation errors for factory built fireplaces and full brick fireplaces. Have them also explain how to handle the potential issues that can arise with a fireplace.

These are some links to help understand fireplace and chimney safety.
Chimney Safety Institute of America
USFA Fireplace and Home Fire Safety
CPSC Issues Fireplace Safety Tips

Also make sure that your new home is equipped with either combination fire/smoke/Carbon Monoxide alarms or you have adequate CO alarms installed! For the importance of CO detectors here are a couple of links.

CO Headquarters - Home Page
Carbon Monoxide | Poisoning | Awareness | Detectors | Alarms

Good luck and enjoy your new home!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Yes, get a fireplace with a mantle. How will Santa Claus get in? Where will you hang the stockings? We do use our gas fireplace in the winter for atmosphere more than anything. Gas logs don't put out a lot of heat.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
If electricity goes out your NG heater won't burn--
your fireplace heat might be the only thing between you and trying to find a motel that is still open...

And I would say build a wood burning fireplace not a gas fireplace where the chimney does not work--
that is what our new house has and frankly we never use it--to me that is just an open flame heater--

did not realize how much we would miss our old fireplace when we moved

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
I hate to say it, but don't get rid of your fireplace. I lived in a house for nine years here that had a fireplace that we never, ever used. The previous owners never used it either. 20 years and never used!

In our new house, we have a fireplace that I suspect has never been used and I doubt we'll ever use it. For me a fireplace is neutral to negative. However, enough people like them that it will affect your resale value not to have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: