Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM

937 posts, read 2,896,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgaivn View Post
What if you don't like sports?
Well I guess it depends on what you are interested in. What types of activities are you interested in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,872,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macno0b View Post
Hi All,

I'm an Asian male in mid 20's. I'm considering moving to Dallas from Las Vegas. What can you tell me about the asian (esp Vietnamese) community there? How is the dating scene there? How is the nightlife?

Thanks,
D/FW's Viet community is the 4th largest in the US & 2nd largest in Texas after Houston, only not nearly as integrated as H-town's Asian community.

Dallas' Asian communities are very fragmented all over The Metroplex from Garland, to Richardson, to Plano, to Carrollton, to Mesquite, to Irving, to Arlington, to Haltom City. Not many Asians actually live in the City of Dallas proper in other words. Dallas needs to do a defrag haha

For Asian nightlife in D/FW search "Roguescene" & "LMent" online.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,272,445 times
Well Dallas' Viet Community is 4th largest in the country.
4th to LA, San Fran, and Houston.

Arlington, Garland, Richardson, Carrollton, Plano, and Irving all have notable concentrations.
It is to be noted that Plano and to some degree Richardson are mostly Chinese, but Vietnamese and Chinese are more similar than different.
Carrollton and Irving are more Korean, which in my experience don't get along as well. There is a Pho restaurant in a Korean shopping complex in Carrollton that always gets vandalized by Vietnamese because the owner is Korean. There isn't an active anti-Korean or anti-Vietnamese sentiment between people, I know Vietnamese that go to that shopping complex all the time or work there as a matter of fact.

As far as the dating scene, it's ok. There are several Asian Churches spread throughout the area. Most of them are Korean, but there are also some Vietnamese and Chinese.
That would be somewhere to start.
There are also a few key Asian hang out spots, for younger people that is. H-Mart (the one with the Korean Pho restaurant) is northern Carrollton is where a lot of Asians (of all backgrounds) gather. Although that's mostly the high school crowd, I do see a lot of attractive young Asian women there o.o.
UT Dallas, is also a hot spot for Asians. The school, last time I checked, is around 1/4th Asian.

I say this as someone who is Chinese, and slightly younger than you. I have friends who attend Vietnamese churches, and such. So i know the Asian community pretty ok.
The clubs might also work, as mentioned.
But staying in North-Northwest part of Dallas Country, East Tarrent County (Mainly Haltom City and Arlington), and South Denton and Collin County will help you.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 55,976 times
I don't believe Dallas is the 4th largest in the country. I doubt Dallas has more Vietnamese people than San Jose or Garden Grove

List of U.S. cities with large Vietnamese American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will most likely end up in Carrollton. I want to live near everything. Where do I begin my search?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,272,445 times
Well that's included into San Fran. DFW is number 4...admittedly at a very distant 4.
VSPoptop50MetroAreas

North Carrollton. South Carrollton is not as nice.
Both have a local Vietnamese supermarket though. I'll go up there for Pho sometimes. You'll have everything you need there, but if you want to stay Viet, in terms of seeking a significant other, than you'll probably have to end up going to Arlington or Garland.
The two biggest Little Saigons are there. All the rest of them in the city are pretty small.

Last edited by CMDallas; 05-16-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,872,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgaivn View Post
I don't believe Dallas is the 4th largest in the country. I doubt Dallas has more Vietnamese people than San Jose or Garden Grove

List of U.S. cities with large Vietnamese American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will most likely end up in Carrollton. I want to live near everything. Where do I begin my search?
Well believe it.

It goes like this...

1. LA/Orange County
2. SF/San Jose
3. Houston
4. Dallas

Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,399,587 times
Garden Grove and San Jose are included in the top two choices on that list. And according to this city data list, Garden Grove does have a lot more Vietnamese people than Garland. It's #3 on the list versus #100.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h93.html

There are several Vietnamese restaurants in my part of Richardson, so OP might consider Richardson/Garland over the other side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas