U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,922 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the inputs, really appreciate that.

One the biggest attraction of moving to Dallas for us is nce homes in our range, is it not possible to live out in Plano, Carrollton, Irving or Arlington and commute through train towards downtown Dallas? People mostly do that here in Chicago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM

469 posts, read 802,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyitj View Post

One the biggest attraction of moving to Dallas for us is nce homes in our range, is it not possible to live out in Plano, Carrollton, Irving or Arlington and commute through train towards downtown Dallas? People mostly do that here in Chicago.
You can travel by train from all cities listed except Arlington; however, there is a stop fairly close off 360.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 PM

695 posts, read 1,320,000 times
There is a stop in North Carrollton as well, and you can get a lot for your price range there.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM

469 posts, read 802,104 times
Starting in late June, Denton's line will be complete, so you will be able to get down most of I-35E Northern corridor. Orange Line will also give more options of stops in Irving eventually. And the Cotton Beltline will also go through Carrollton area.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyitj View Post

You can do that in most of the cities. It's just that the suburbs here are different. Because there is basically an endless supply of new homes and raw land, homes in the suburbs don't appreciate as much in value. And finding a store that isn't a chain is a challenge.

People who are natives and understand the ebb and flow of the real estate market primarily live in Dallas County, where the land is actually worth something. Most of Dallas is suburban. So looking in Lakewood, Lake Highlands, M-Streets and Lakewood Heights is an option for you. Those areas are closer in, have good transit, fun places to eat and shop, and are close to the cultural opportunities. Neighborhoods in town also have some history and pretty scenery.

For example, these are mountain bike trails in the City of Dallas:

YouTube - ‪Lower White Rock Creek Valley Trail Network Dallas, Texas‬‏
It's hardly all skyscrapers or dense apartment buildings like most of Chicago.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,922 times
Thanks for the info.; within this thread I got conflicting thoughts on humidity in Dallas, is it true its very humid in June to Sept? Is it something like the moment you go out in few minutes, you will start sweating.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM

It depends. I personally found the worst humidity in Chicago much worse than what I've experienced in Dallas.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM

93 posts, read 219,987 times
I think Dallas is friendlier than Chicago; I grew up in the Chicago burbs. Not sure if you are religious or not, but I find it much easier to be a Christian in TX than it was in the Chicago area, which is good and bad (more cultural Christianity in TX).

Yes, housing is generally newer and cheaper, and you can get a really nice house in your price range, particularly if you look in Far North Dallas (75248 area code) or in Richardson and surrounding areas. It is more difficult to find something really nice in the areas HamiltonPl mentioned in that price range.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most houses will not have a basement, unlike IL.

Unfortunatley, the Dallas area does not really have any old and beautiful sububurbs like Lake Forest, Winnetka, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, etc. The areas that look similar to those in Dallas are within the city, or at least near the center of the city (Park Cities, White Rock Lake area). The desirable suburbs in DFW tend to be newer.

Although the average house is cheaper in DFW, it seems like there are more high end areas in Dallas than in Chicago, even though Chicago is substantially bigger. The ritzy areas in Dallas just go on and on.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 5,891,432 times
I was born and raised in Elmhurst. Lived in Florida for a really long time and now in Texas. I cant comment too much about living in Chicago because I was a kid but I do love the Chicago Bulls and hope they win Sunday! GO Bulls!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelf View Post
I think Dallas is friendlier than Chicago; I grew up in the Chicago burbs. Not sure if you are religious or not, but I find it much easier to be a Christian in TX than it was in the Chicago area, which is good and bad (more cultural Christianity in TX).
True, to an extent--as long as you're not Catholic. There really aren't that many Catholic churches and schools down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas