U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,318,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Chicago is absolutely a better city than Dallas, and I agree that the Dallas suburbs are better than the Chicago suburbs.
Oh boy, you're may get crucified for this. Most likely by our most introspective 'Dallasite' poster(s) here on these boards.

I am with you about Chi-Town...But, I refer to this article I found a long time ago often enough to remind myself of how Dallas is just plain ol different. In a lot of ways that are really good.. For me and my wife, some of the things this article says ring true with the experiences we've had with the area and prevailing mentality.

Why Dallas Matters (http://www.bobmcteer.com/news/dallas.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,917,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Chicago is absolutely a better city than Dallas,
No doubt about it. Chicago is an amazing city. I hope one day Dallas can be a city like Chicago. But it will take more people moving into the city instead of the bland suburbs.

Dallas is a whole lot cleaner than Chicago and there are fewer vagrants. But there is something special that comes with a bit of grit.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,917,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Oh boy, you're may get crucified for this. Most likely by our most introspective 'Dallasite' poster(s) here on these boards.

Why Dallas Matters (http://www.bobmcteer.com/news/dallas.html - broken link)
Nice article. But I really think your life will be a lot simpler if you try and stop getting stranger's heads. You really have no idea who you are talking about, how they think or what life is really like here in Dallas. I'm not coming to the Boston forum and telling people what they really think and how they really live because I have relatives there and I've visited on business. It's all up to you.

By the way, Boston is a lovely town.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I'm not coming to the Boston forum and telling people what they really think and how they really live because I have relatives there and I've visited on business. It's all up to you.
Knock yourself out, I couldn't care less, and most certainly wouldn't give you a hard time over it. Quite honestly I always find it incredibly interesting how people from other areas with different urban/suburban experiences view Boston. Take for example how many times I have heard we're ALL incredibly rude from some of the regulars here(water off a Ducks back). Truth is, you SHOULD care about what others think, whether you like hearing what they have to say or not. I mean in all honesty, if anyone had family on the Cape in a Town I rarely visited I would consider their opinion on local matters more credible than mine. But hey, that is me and where you and I obviously disagree.

BTW, I have NEVER proclaimed to know more about anything than the people that live down there on local matters, so you know what you can do with that notion. But then again, why waste my time trying to convince you of something you're already convinced of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
By the way, Boston is a lovely town.
How would you know it's a lovely City? You don't live here. You're not from here, you've only visited.

Tippin my hat to ya Hoss..

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,916,295 times
That article is over a decade old. It was written before the meteoric rise of Uptown in the infancy of DART rail and the Arts District. Bishop Arts, Henderson, the burgeoning Design District and the Cedars/Southside were not anything like today.

I'm not arguing about the city of Chicago - as I said I have been there many times, have a close friend with a high-rise condo near Rush and Division and went to SMU with many people from that area. My sister lived near there for several years.

The only places in the USA where I have felt a uniform bias against Dallas (and Texas except -- AUSTIN!) are San Francisco and Boston. I've gotten that a few times in other places, notably LA but even NYC does not seem to have such pre-conceived notions (in my experiences) that we are all drawling/ignorant/evangelical/racist/homophobic/hicks who have never traveled and blindly follow the far right wing.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The only places in the USA where I have felt a uniform bias against Dallas (and Texas except -- AUSTIN!) are San Francisco and Boston. I've gotten that a few times in other places, notably LA but even NYC does not seem to have such pre-conceived notions (in my experiences) that we are all drawling/ignorant/evangelical/racist/homophobic/hicks who have never traveled and blindly follow the far right wing.
Can't speak for San Fran, but you might be on to something with what your saying about Boston. I know when I tell people we are moving there they look at me like I am from another planet. Can stir up an interesting series of questions.

Since we're generalizing, I would feel safe saying the New Englanders will tend to make light of people and places they don't know alot about-in a Jerry Seinfeld humor sort of way. But the first to defend it's honor if they do. That is my personal position on Dallas. I am a big fan, whether I live there or not.

Last edited by skids929; 06-14-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas