U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,889 times

Advertisements

I lived in couple of places in US for short span including Northern/Central New Jersey, Northwest Arkansas and currently in Chicago. I've also visited Dallas 3-4 times for couple of days.

There are good and bad of each, like Chicago is beautiful city and has good suburbs but winters are long and very cold, on the other hand I don't know why, but I just don't feel people are too friendly here as compared to other places in US I lived, like even in Bentonville Arkansas (people were very friendly) and like to become friends, even though you may have heard something different; I left the place looking for some bigger metro area.

I have a wife and 3 year old kid, I'm looking for more friendly place to live, where we can make friends, and could buy a house within $200k-$300k, I've an opportunity in Dallas, TX; it looks like have pretty fine weather except 2 months of very hot weather; which can be fine for us.

1) I would be working either in Downtown Dallas or Addison, what would be good location to buy a home with family?

2) Is there anyone who lived in Dallas and Chicago, and can share the experience, maybe I just have wrong experience here in Chicago?

3) How is the culture in Dallas, are people generally friendly and like to meet / do outdoor like in Northwest Arkansas?

4) Is Dallas very humid as well like Houston? because I can stand heat for few months, but not too much humidity.

5) Are there outdoor activities to do in Dallas like in Chicago lakeshore drive?

Thanks

Last edited by onlyitj; 05-18-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,575,481 times
Quote:
1) I would be working either in Downtown Dallas or Addison, what would be good location to buy a home with family?

2) Is there anyone who lived in Dallas and Chicago, and can share the experience, maybe I just have wrong experience here in Chicago?

3) How is the culture in Dallas, are people generally friendly and like to meet / do outdoor like in Northwest Arkansas?

4) Is Dallas very humid as well like Houston? because I can stand heat for few months, but not too much humidity.

5) Are there outdoor activities to do in Dallas like in Chicago lakeshore drive?
1. Addison would give you more suburban options with an easier commute, if you have a choice.
2. Spent my earliest years in Chicago--yes Dallas does seem to be a little friendlier and definitely warmer! My mother spent her first 30 years in Chicago and likes Texas better. My father would never move back to Chicago and considers Texas holy ground.
3. Ha...except for the road rage, I think the culture is awesome. You get the "hospitality" of the South with more diversity.
4. It is humid, but NOTHING like Houston. That place is a hellhole sauna (in my humble opinion)
5. Plenty. Lots of parks, etc. Plus you can do more outdoor activities because you have better weather for a longer period of time. You just might be doing more of them in March-May instead of June-August.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM

6,954 posts, read 20,490,365 times
Its humid in DFW and very, very hot June - September.....expect to hate the weather about 4 months out of the year.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM

574 posts, read 1,472,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Its humid in DFW and very, very hot June - September.....expect to hate the weather about 4 months out of the year.
At least 4 months out of the year! We have also had hot conditions in Jan/Feb for some years such as in that long drought period in early/mid 2000's.

Texas weather is not, and never really has been, something that can be predictable from one year to the next. So far this year it is great with longer stretches of unseasonable cooler weather. Next year we could have high 90's this time of the year.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM

469 posts, read 797,412 times
I'm trying to move to Chicago! I've noticed a ton of transplants from Chicago in Dallas and visa versa.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

101 posts, read 204,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyitj View Post
We lived in both. My husband and I lived in Chicago for two years, we lived in River North (right next to Merchandise Mart), we have been in Dallas for 7 month now.

Our situation is a bit different from yours, so our perception of what's a good or better city might be different from yours. We don't have kids, we lived all over the world in some very big cities, like Sydney, Singapore, London, we always lived in high rise condos in the middle of the busiest part of busy cities. I've never been to the suburbs of Chicago or Dallas.

We moved out of Chicago because of the winter is too brutal and too long for a Sydney girl who likes outdoor activities and summer . I found people in Chicago very friendly, as friendly as people in Dallas. I still miss Chicago, because it's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever lived. I miss I can just walk to Japonais restaurant in my heels, and walk my dog down Michigan Ave terribly when it's not winter! We are enjoying living Dallas, I love the nice restaurants here (in my opinion the restaurants here are better than Chicago), the shopping is comparable to Chicago, plus there is no 5% state income tax! We live in the Art District so we can easily walk to any opera and ballet. I don't mind the dry heat in Dallas, 100F days can last for days and weeks. There is no Lake Shore Drive which I miss too, but I can jog on Katy Trail in Dallas.

Overall, we are happy with our move, and may end our "Nomads" life, and call Highland Park in Dallas our home. The only thing I wish Dallas could have? Direct flight by Southwest from Love Filed to NYC, Chicago, Denver and Lake Tahoe, so I don't have to go to DFW fly AA!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,389,082 times
Chicago is proving to be too brutal for me. Taxes are going up, medical practice climate is rough... I've been considering the DFW area now for over a year and will be headed there in 2 weeks to check it out w/ a realtor.

I'm hoping DFW is what it's cracked up to be... a nice friendly area, great place for businesses, great place for practicing medicine, AND reasonable costs of living.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM

695 posts, read 1,311,583 times
I'm a Chicago native and moved here 10 years ago. Because I have children, it would be difficult to move back to Chicago because we are fortunate to have such a child-centered culture down here. I would never find a neighborhood such as the one we live in in Chicago for what we paid for our house. A master-planned community with 25 parks? Unheard of in Chicago as close to the city as we are.

I do miss the culture in Chicago and the food is much, much better in Chicago. Particularly the Chinese and Italian. I don't know what's wrong with the Italian food down here, especially the pizza, but it's much better in Chi town.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM

101 posts, read 204,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
I do miss the culture in Chicago and the food is much, much better in Chicago. Particularly the Chinese and Italian. I don't know what's wrong with the Italian food down here, especially the pizza, but it's much better in Chi town.
Obviously you are a deep dish pizza fan I couldn't take it, lived next door to Gino's, went once, I could barely walk out of there, and I didn't even finish a slice! I am a Northern Italian thin crest pizza gal, so I love the pizza @ Fedora in Dallas. Talking about Chinese food, I miss "China Grill" and "Opera", can't believe "Opera" was closed.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,737,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyitj View Post

Check out Lakewood 75214, 75206 (M-Streets) and 75223 (Hollywood Heights). You will be on the lower-end here for that budget but there's a great sense of comunity and it's very established, leafy, family-oriented and friendly, like sections of Chicagoland (not the denser parts). No Lakeshore Drive but a more arcadian version - West Lawther around White Rock Lake. You aren't going to find an inexpensive gargantuan house here like you would in the burbs - probably around 2,000 square feet at the most for that price. Also there is a huge upside for appreciation and no huge gasoline and toll bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas