Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM

21 posts, read 55,947 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was just toying with the idea of buying a condo instead of renting. The idea just came to me tonight. I think I will stay with a friend for a few months until I can maybe find a condo. I am single, but I might have friends come live with me. I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I don't know if I am ready to buy a house since it will be too much work for me to take care of it, but I guess I am open to the idea. How hard is it to sell back a condo? Is it wiser to rent for now?

I want a newer place and my price range is anything less than $200K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,104,411 times
RENT.

Carrollton has one of the worst housing markets in DFW right now. April sales prices were down 11% to LY (one of the steepest drops- quite a few areas in DFW increased in price) AND 20-something% LESS homes were sold than LY (shows ultimate weakness as buyers are not committing as thy expect prices to fall even more before getting back in).

Furthermore, DFW is a HORRIBLE market for condos outside a few select urban neighborhoods close to downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. Most have been declining in value since they were built. Ouch.

Just rent. Or pick a more stable neighborhood/suburb market to buy a single-family home.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,090,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
RENT.

Carrollton has one of the worst housing markets in DFW right now. April sales prices were down 11% to LY (one of the steepest drops- quite a few areas in DFW increased in price) AND 20-something% LESS homes were sold than LY (shows ultimate weakness as buyers are not committing as thy expect prices to fall even more before getting back in).

Furthermore, DFW is a HORRIBLE market for condos outside a few select urban neighborhoods close to downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. Most have been declining in value since they were built. Ouch.

Just rent. Or pick a more stable neighborhood/suburb market to buy a single-family home.
This!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Thanks so much!! I wasn't really sure if I really want to stay in Carrollton forever. It's just that my job is close to it right now. So I might eventually move again in the future. At least now I can use that money for something else. You guys are so awesome.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,603,830 times
Have you considered a garden home/villa? I would probably avoid Carrollton, but there is a really nice section in Valley Ranch (which is quite well located to Carrollton) and the HOA fee (about $90/month) includes lawn care. I have owned a property in this community and was very happy with resale and its pretty much an all adult community with great access to walking paths and shopping. Its a gated community called Villas of Beacon Hill. There is also another similar section call the Casitas. I noticed 2 properties there that probably need work but worth checking out b/c properties typically run between $250-300K.

8609 Ironwood Dr Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11481154 - Realtor.com®

8614 Old Oak Dr Irving TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11590620 - Realtor.com®

Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM

695 posts, read 1,441,841 times
I would never do a condo or town home in Carrollton. Probably the only good places to live in Carrollton from a resale perspective are the North Carrollton area, which is zoned for Lewisville schools. I lived in Carrollton for a number of years and it has a lot of positives but you need to be very careful buying a property there.

If you want to stay in Carrollton, continue to rent.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM

The reason why I want to stay in Carrollton is because it's not too far away from work (30min) and I wouldn't be too far away from Dallas-area. Others have suggested Lewisville. I'm not too worried about the school system for now.

Obviously, I would rather stay in other areas, but it seems like it's the best option for me right now to stay in Carrollton.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 PM

525 posts, read 533,545 times
What about Farmers Branch?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 PM

I'm looking for a place that has a lot of Asian restaurants. I'll probably spend a few weeks there looking for a place. I am just trying to narrow my search. it doesn't seem like Farmers Branch has a lot of that??

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,090,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgaivn View Post
I'm looking for a place that has a lot of Asian restaurants. I'll probably spend a few weeks there looking for a place. I am just trying to narrow my search. it doesn't seem like Farmers Branch has a lot of that??
Richardson does. Ditto Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas