Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

How Many Dallas High Schools Made Washington Post's Best-Of List? Quite a Few. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"The TAG Magnet at Townview was tops in 2010; it's fallen all the way to No. 2. Other DISD schools making the best-of list: the Judge Barefoot Sanders Magnet Center For Public Service at Townview (No. 64), the School of Business and Management at Townview (No. 67), the School of Health Professions at Townview (No. 68), the Booker T. Washington School for the Performing and Visual Arts (No. 141), W.T. White (No. 271), Woodrow (No. 588) and Hillcrest (No. 598)"

Texas Schools which made the list:

Texas Schools - Ranking America's High Schools 2011 - The Washington Post

The DISD schools outrank Plano, Allen, Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Flower Mound and all of the RISD schools save Pearce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How Many Dallas High Schools Made Washington Post's Best-Of List? Quite a Few. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"The TAG Magnet at Townview was tops in 2010; it's fallen all the way to No. 2. Other DISD schools making the best-of list: the Judge Barefoot Sanders Magnet Center For Public Service at Townview (No. 64), the School of Business and Management at Townview (No. 67), the School of Health Professions at Townview (No. 68), the Booker T. Washington School for the Performing and Visual Arts (No. 141), W.T. White (No. 271), Woodrow (No. 588) and Hillcrest (No. 598)"

Texas Schools which made the list:

Texas Schools - Ranking America's High Schools 2011 - The Washington Post

The DISD schools outrank Plano, Allen, Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Flower Mound and all of the RISD schools save Pearce.

Somehow you forgot to mention Highland Park HS coming in at #35 in the nation

Other area schools on the list were:
Westlake Academy - Westlake, TX #19

Grapevine HS - #267
Paschal HS - Fort Worth ISD - #299
JJ Pearce HS- Richardson ISD - #338

RL Turner HS- Carrollton ISD - #525
Coppell HS- #595

Newman Smith HS- Carrollton ISD - #652
Garland HS - Garland ISD - #658
Plano Senior - Plano ISD - #762
Southlake HS- Carroll ISD- #789
Hebron HS- Carrollton ISD- #845
Plano East HS- Plano ISD - #863
LD Bell HS- Hurst ISD- #864
Flower Mound HS- FM ISD- #911
Bernker HS- Richardson ISD- #933
Centenial HS- Frisco ISD - #980

Frisco HS- Frisco ISD- #1124
Wakeland HS- Frisco ISD- #1155
Trinity HS- Euless ISD- #1274
Marcus HS- Flower Mound ISD- #1295
Creekview HS- Carrollton ISD - #1321
Allen HS- #1322
Lake Highlands HS- Richardson ISD- #1356

I stopped looking at rank #1500.

What I found interesting is that other Texas suburban high schools where the population & suburbs compare to Collin County ranked MUCH higher than the CoCo schools-->

Austin Westlake (Eanes ISD) - #58
Austin Westwood - #94
Clements (Sugarland ISD, Houston area) - #229
Memorial HS (Houston) - #263
Stratford (HOuston) - #398
Cinco Ranch (Katy ISD, Katy/Houston area)- #444
Woodlands College Park (Woodlands ISD) - #538
Stephen F Austin (Sugarland ISD, Houston area) - #539
The Woodlands (Woodlands ISD) - #578
Cedar Park (Cedar Park ISD/ North Austin suburbs) - #585
Clear Lake (south Houston suburbs) - #600

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,351 times
Hebron, Marcus and Flower Mound are all in the Lewisville ISD.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
It's interesting, but I don't like the metric they use. I prefer the E&E% metric, explained here:

Quote:
On the list we also give readers a sense of how well each school’s students are doing on the tests by posting the Equity and Excellence rate, which is the percentage of all graduating seniors, including those who never took an AP course, who had at least one score of 3 or above on at least one AP test sometime in high school. The nonprofit College Board, which oversees the AP program, invented this metric. It found that the average Equity and Excellence rate in 2010 was 16.9 percent.
Sorry--I care more about how well the students did on the test, not how many they took. Number of tests taken can be manipulated by the school. The actual success rate is more indicative of the quality of education offered, at least to me.

For example, Coppell comes in at #62 in Texas, but has an E&E score of 55.7%--higher than #12 on the list. (I had sorted the list to only include Texas schools, FYI)

Resort the list by E&E% (higher is better) and it tells a much different story. The Washington Post article lets you do this.

The DISD magnet schools still score beautifully, though. Not really surprising--they educate the best of the best. Not really a fair comparison to a "normal" high school.

Highland Park has no E&E score--I don't understand why? I doubt it is low.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Highland Park required all students in AP Courses to take the AP test when I went there. And it used to be number 12. We've been consistently falling since I left!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
It's interesting, but I don't like the metric they use. I prefer the E&E% metric, explained here:

Resort the list by E&E% (higher is better) and it tells a much different story. The Washington Post article lets you do this.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Highland Park required all students in AP Courses to take the AP test when I went there. And it used to be number 12. We've been consistently falling since I left!
A friend of mine who graduated from HP mentioned this. At my HS, it was optional. I'm sure Highland Park would still be ranked high even if they didn't require, but I'm sure the requirement has rankings like this in mind.

One more problem with this list--schools that pay for/subsidize the cost of the tests or are in "wealthier" areas have a natural advantage. These tests are not cheap--at least $80/pop.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
A friend of mine who graduated from HP mentioned this. At my HS, it was optional. I'm sure Highland Park would still be ranked high even if they didn't require, but I'm sure the requirement has rankings like this in mind.

One more problem with this list--schools that pay for/subsidize the cost of the tests or are in "wealthier" areas have a natural advantage. These tests are not cheap--at least $80/pop.
It was before these rankings. So I'm not sure why they did it back in the 90s.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
HPHS does not pay for exam fees- student do. I remember bringing my check to school. (The HPHS pass rate on AP exams is in the low 60% range. That's been pretty constant for the past decade or more).

Dallas ISD on the other hand has two lucrative AP incentive programs funded by TI and the O'Donnell foundation on evey DISD HS's campus:
-$100 paid to the student for every passing AP score (more than covering the sfudent's spit of the AP fee with the district, which pays the other part)

-$100 paid to the teacher for each student with a passing AP score

-Funding for intensive teacher training

It is a GREAT program and definitely deserves credit for really raising the performance on AP exams in the district.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
And in two years WWWe are going to be giving IB tests, which also count toward these rankings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas