Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas for an IT job and have been looking at areas to live in, specifically the Las Colinas area; however I find it too be too crowded for my taste. I currently live in Arizona and I am in love with my community so much so that I was hoping to find something like it near Dallas.

I'm looking for:
- A community with a suburban feel
- Wide open roads
- Apartments 1,00-1,300 2B/2B
-The least amount of traffic possible
- Being a couple 15 minutes (or so) away from malls
-Not too far from the center of Dallas
-A quiet and safe area where I can go out for a walk in the evenings

I guess overall a community with a family feel is what I am looking for. I have no idea if such a place exsits, but I would appreciate ANY ideas. I know it's Dallas and I know that there is a large population so the above criteria is my ideal community, but I do not expect to have it all so please don't be shy and give me ANY input you have whether you think i'll like it or not.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Last edited by Bo; 05-23-2011 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Moved from the Texas forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I don't think you're going to find any "wide open roads" anywhere near the center of Dallas. Even if you do, the commute will get you into traffic. Dallas is much less built up toward the south, but your job is probably on the other side of downtown Dallas. Las Colinas is a nice area.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Take a look around Hackberry Creek and/or Walnut Hill @ MacArthur Blvd (north and south of X created by intersection of 114/161 in north Irving). Not sure this will work but there are some open space and probably as close as you'll get to Dallas without a long term commitment to your neighbor.

Or west of I-35W, north of Alliance Airport. But you won't like the drive to Las Colinas and you'll hate the drive home.

Otherwise, sorry but a coupla million people got there before you.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Or west of I-35W, north of Alliance Airport. But you won't like the drive to Las Colinas and you'll hate the drive home.
The OP says s/he is looking for something that's not too far from Dallas' CBD. Alliance is nowhere near Dallas.

Quote:
Otherwise, sorry but a coupla million people got there before you.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanchez89 View Post
I am moving to Dallas for an IT job and have been looking at areas to live in, specifically the Las Colinas area; however I find it too be too crowded for my taste. I currently live in Arizona and I am in love with my community so much so that I was hoping to find something like it near Dallas.

I'm looking for:
- Wide open roads

I guess overall a community with a family feel is what I am looking for. I have no idea if such a place exsits, but I would appreciate ANY ideas. I know it's Dallas and I know that there is a large population so the above criteria is my ideal community, but I do not expect to have it all so please don't be shy and give me ANY input you have whether you think i'll like it or not.

THANKS SO MUCH!!
Las Colinas to Dallas isn't an AWFUL commute, but it does get a bit tiring. If you want to be close to DT Dallas, you'll have to loosen up your "not too many people" requirement. Dallas has ~1.2 million people and the metro has over 6 million people. You have to go to an outer-ring suburb to get away from it all, but you'll be very far from DT.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
if you are moving to take a job here guess you did not drive around when you were in town
this is not AZ--this is TX--
our "wide open roads" are west of FTW going toward El Paso or maybe north into the Panhandle

Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanchez89 View Post

I'm looking for:
- Wide open roads

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Wide-open roads, not too many people and not a lot of traffic are exclusive of being near the center of Dallas and being 15 minutes from malls.

I don't even think being near downtown Dallas puts you within 15 minutes of a mall. Maybe Northpark, but if 75 is jammed like it seems to be a lot, then you're SOL.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Where exactly in Dallas is the job? I will try and make suggestions once I know the precise location.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Las Colinas has a lot of newer apartments and some great parks but it feels less suburban that what you describe. I think you will get a more burb vibe in Plano. Also in look in far North Garland.

2 Bed/ 2 Bath w/ Attached Garage, Cable, and Washer/Dryer

BEAUTIFUL! Incredible Value! Great Apartments at Willow Bend! (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2395430536.html - broken link)

If you don't like driving, consider taking the DART rail into the city.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,512 times
There areas in East Plano that might meet most of your needs, but where is your job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: