Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

30 posts, read 59,686 times

Advertisements

Just drove from the Orlando area to Dallas when I moved here in December. Probably not a great drive for your kids. Plus, flights from DFW to MCO can be fairly cheap. The beaches on Florida's gulf coast (not AL's or MS') are beautiful. If you want to stop for a day, I definitely recommend Destin or one of my favorite spots in the world, St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. However, those are a little more than halfway to Orlando, so head out early that first day if you're driving.

The route is pretty simple: I-20 east to Shreveport, I-49 south to Lafayette (boring stretch), I-10 east to Lake City, I-75 south to Wildwood, FL Turnpike south to Orlando.

Once in Orlando, there are a ton of rentals in Kissimmee, but that's a super-touristy area. I don't have any specific recommendations, but just be sure to thoroughly check out places you're considering since a place could be trashy but made to look good online. Your kids probably aren't old enough to appreciate Universal Studios, but I'm sure they'll love Disney, probably SeaWorld too. Try to hit the beach (either in Brevard County to the east or St. Pete/Clearwater to the west; both are easy drives).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:05 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
This is the place I mentioned in my earlier post:

Windsor Hills Resort ★ Orlando florida vacation Homes rentals holiday villas townhomes condos

Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
the way I rate a beach is by how clear the water is. Im different from most people I guess. I dont see a point in going and sitting on the sand if your not going to be swimming. You can find sand and water anywhere but clear water is rare. And when Im at a beach I spend most of my time snorkeling and in the water not cooking on the sand.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
the way I rate a beach is by how clear the water is.
Then you would love the area from Ft. Walton Beach to Panama City, including Destin. Beautiful, clear water. The rest of the Gulf Coast doesn't compare.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
That is gorgeous!...mSooner!! Well....except for the condos and huge hotels, etc. I think I need to find a small house along this beach...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM

104 posts, read 254,788 times
I've driven from Dallas To miami (19hrs) without spending the night anywhere, and I drove the whole way through only stopping for bathroom breaks, gas and food. Its totally doable if you love driving.

With kids I imagine you will have to stop more but You can do it without spending the night anywhere! We've done it with a family of 7 several times!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 123,481 times
Thank you all so much for your suggestions.. Really helpful.. Appreciate it!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That is gorgeous!...mSooner!! Well....except for the condos and huge hotels, etc. I think I need to find a small house along this beach...
There's actually a whole section of the Destin area that is mostly homes for rent or privately owned.

Check here and specifically look in the "Scenic gulf Drive" sections. That section is sometimes referred to as Miramar Beach.

Destin Florida Vacation Rentals by Owner, VRBO Destin Condo Rentals, Destin Florida Resorts, Destin FL Beach Rentals (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/north-west/destin - broken link)

Destin has always been a big condo/home rental market--not as many hotels as you would think. However, if you are planning on stopping for a night, hotels are usually your only option as the condos/homes almost exclusive rent for 3+ nights a pop (usually a week at a time, actually).

ETA: Just realized that wasn't the OP responding. Either way, hope you find this helpful!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 9,084 times
I am planning a Dallas-NOLA-Orlando drive next week. Am getting conflicting reports of drive time between NOLA and Orlando- is it 9 hours or closer to 12? Dallas to NOLA is supposed to be 8 hours. We plan to spend a few nights there before heading to Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas