Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM

28 posts, read 52,321 times

Advertisements

HI everyone,
My family and I are relocating in Aug to the area from Florida. We came to visit for about 24 hours to drive around, and we liked the Frisco and Hebron areas. Then, when we got home and did more research, we fell in love with Allen (even though it was not a town we visited). We want excellent schools, a somewhat easy commute to Dallas/Love Field, and plenty of things to do.

So, we found numerous homes in our price range in Beacon Hill. Can anyone tell me about it? What about Custer.... um, cant remember, sorry. Is the nighborhood a good choice for a family of 4 in their mid 30's.

Also, we have a home to sell in FL so we need to rent 1st when we move and have looked into a few apt buildings in Allen. Is one better than the other? We are looking at "Lansbrook at Twin Creeks" because of the proximity to where we eventually want to live, and also "Heights at Allen Station" because of their GREAT amenities. We will most likely only be in the apt for less than 6 months. Can you give any feedback or know of any others that have rent less than $1,400/month for a 3 bedroom? We've thought about renting a house, but that is sometimes tough when you are looking to rent for just a few months.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I do not live in Allen but I do know a little bit about. First question I would have for you would be were are your jobs located. DFW is really spread out so you certainly want your home to be somewhat close to your job. You mentioned Lovefield. During non-rush hour your commute from Allen to Lovefield would be about 40 minutes. During rush hour you could double this. Allen has great schools but understand the high school is massive. They made a decision to only have one high school which means graduating classes will be over a thousand students. This may or may not be a issue for you. Commute time to work and having a massive high school would be my only concerns. Everything else about Allen is positive in my opinion.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
We looked extensively in that area when we were home hunting (and for many months before then) so I'll give you my perception of those neighborhoods.

Beacon Hill...Great location, surrounded by the more prestigious Twin Creeks neighborhood...so you can easily utilize the hike and bike trails that run near there. There is a large apartment complex right at the entry to BH (just off McDermott) which may be a deterrent to some, and possibly could effect resale depending on how the complex is kept up. Beacon Hill itself seemed nice enough. I don't believe it has any community amenities (pool, clubhouse, etc) like many of the surrounding neighborhoods have...if that's something you are looking you. Overall, cute houses with decent curb appeal. Close enough to walk nearby retail and bike to Watters Creek shopping.

As far as your other inquiry, there is Custer Hill Estates and Custer Meadows. I can't tell you much about Custer Hill Estates, except it "feels" more like it is in far north Plano, then west Allen...partially because of its location, and partially because of how its was developed. One of the reasons we liked west Allen was its pretty topography, tree canopy, and well-designed developments. CH Estates just doesn't fit into that mold. It is also notably further away from retail and hike and bike trails.

Custer Meadows is better, IMO...house styles are really cute, community has a neighborhood pool, heard the neighborhood is pretty active. Closer to hike and bike trails that go through Twin Creeks. Could still bike to Watters Creek via trail system (I have a few times from the neighborhood just NE of there). Super easy access to 121. Only thing I didn't like is that there are two massive water tanks right be the north entry (off Custer) into the neighborhood. Kind of affect that quaint neighborhood feeling. Oh, and that reminds me...there is a City of Plano solid waste transfer station on the southeast corner of Custer and Ridgeview. It accepts a variety of waste products, and is also where you can go to collect mulch and compost created by the city. Anyway, though it is a necessary facility, don't know if I'd want it too close to my house...MIGHT be a smell issue.

So, to sum up, those neighborhoods are all 'fine', but nothing to write home about. There is a reason they are cheaper, and if you were to drive the area, you would see a difference between those neighborhoods and the other nearby Allen neighborhoods. Personally, I would try to find a home in one of the following neighborhoods: Twin Creeks, Watters Crossing, or Suncreek. Waterford Parks, Montgomery Farm and Star Creek are also great for newer homes, but may be out of your price range.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSLP View Post
a somewhat easy commute to Dallas/Love Field
Is the commute to Love Field a daily job thing or a weekly travel thing?
If you have to make that drive daily from Allen, it has the potential to be terrible. Like the other poster said - about 40 minutes on a good day, double that with traffic/accidents/weather.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Is the commute to Love Field a daily job thing or a weekly travel thing?
If you have to make that drive daily from Allen, it has the potential to be terrible. Like the other poster said - about 40 minutes on a good day, double that with traffic/accidents/weather.

Good luck with your move.
Yes, the commute is daily, and DH is aware of the 45min-hour drive. The only way to cut the commute would be to look into southwestern Plano area, or be in a school district that's not all around top notch. We will be returning to the area soon to find a place and hopefully see just what the busy traffic and commute is like at those peak times to those towns we are looking into.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
We looked extensively in that area when we were home hunting (and for many months before then) so I'll give you my perception of those neighborhoods.

Beacon Hill...Great location, surrounded by the more prestigious Twin Creeks neighborhood...so you can easily utilize the hike and bike trails that run near there. There is a large apartment complex right at the entry to BH (just off McDermott) which may be a deterrent to some, and possibly could effect resale depending on how the complex is kept up. Beacon Hill itself seemed nice enough. I don't believe it has any community amenities (pool, clubhouse, etc) like many of the surrounding neighborhoods have...if that's something you are looking you. Overall, cute houses with decent curb appeal. Close enough to walk nearby retail and bike to Watters Creek shopping.

As far as your other inquiry, there is Custer Hill Estates and Custer Meadows. I can't tell you much about Custer Hill Estates, except it "feels" more like it is in far north Plano, then west Allen...partially because of its location, and partially because of how its was developed. One of the reasons we liked west Allen was its pretty topography, tree canopy, and well-designed developments. CH Estates just doesn't fit into that mold. It is also notably further away from retail and hike and bike trails.

Custer Meadows is better, IMO...house styles are really cute, community has a neighborhood pool, heard the neighborhood is pretty active. Closer to hike and bike trails that go through Twin Creeks. Could still bike to Watters Creek via trail system (I have a few times from the neighborhood just NE of there). Super easy access to 121. Only thing I didn't like is that there are two massive water tanks right be the north entry (off Custer) into the neighborhood. Kind of affect that quaint neighborhood feeling. Oh, and that reminds me...there is a City of Plano solid waste transfer station on the southeast corner of Custer and Ridgeview. It accepts a variety of waste products, and is also where you can go to collect mulch and compost created by the city. Anyway, though it is a necessary facility, don't know if I'd want it too close to my house...MIGHT be a smell issue.

So, to sum up, those neighborhoods are all 'fine', but nothing to write home about. There is a reason they are cheaper, and if you were to drive the area, you would see a difference between those neighborhoods and the other nearby Allen neighborhoods. Personally, I would try to find a home in one of the following neighborhoods: Twin Creeks, Watters Crossing, or Suncreek. Waterford Parks, Montgomery Farm and Star Creek are also great for newer homes, but may be out of your price range.
Thanks for all the info. Never thought to bike to shopping places, may be fun! I think Beacon Hill has a community pool. I took note of the areas you recommended for us to check out. We would prefer WEST Allen, over EAST Allen, but only because of what we've read/heard. We've never been there to visit yet. I think some of the areas you mentioned are out of our price range, but maybe we can steal a foreclosure !!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Boy, that's a long way out...sounds as though you are into the new, I guess you will have to reconcile the distance. Traffic is not going to be getting any better. Love Field is on DART's Green Line DART.org - Green Line Stations (people mover from station to terminal to come) so you could also consider areas along it...

Note about schools - I would consider individual schools along with a district. Sometimes the school outweighs a district and it might be better than a neighboring school in a so-called better district. It takes a little more time to investigate this but it can be rewarding to do so.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Note about schools - I would consider individual schools along with a district. Sometimes the school outweighs a district and it might be better than a neighboring school in a so-called better district. It takes a little more time to investigate this but it can be rewarding to do so.
Excellent point!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 PM

207 posts, read 506,457 times
Drove to Love Field from Frisco yesterday, going south on the toll at 5:20, and I made it to the airport in 1 hr. Miserable. The skies were still clear then.....

Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I do not live in Allen but I do know a little bit about. First question I would have for you would be were are your jobs located. DFW is really spread out so you certainly want your home to be somewhat close to your job. You mentioned Lovefield. During non-rush hour your commute from Allen to Lovefield would be about 40 minutes. During rush hour you could double this. Allen has great schools but understand the high school is massive. They made a decision to only have one high school which means graduating classes will be over a thousand students. This may or may not be a issue for you. Commute time to work and having a massive high school would be my only concerns. Everything else about Allen is positive in my opinion.
Yep Allen H.S. has 5000 students compared to other 5A schools in the plus 2100 range. It's pathetic that the UIL considers them both in the same 5A classification for sports purposes....Highly unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas