Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM

57 posts, read 187,698 times

Advertisements

It seems to me from reading threads and forums that everyone is very cheery and happy answering wives and hubby's questions of relocation from out of state to buy real estate. But when it comes to people who are pet lovers, or single professionals (not going to bars and wanting 20 somethin night life) or renting -- mum's the word or feigned uninterested remarks.

Is it just the contributers on city-data in Dallas or is Dallas itself?

And if it is not Dallas itself -- where do more single professionals without kids congregate location wise -- over 30 crowd. West coast has many professional singles over 40 and no one bats an eyelash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

52 posts, read 126,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizbet View Post
It seems to me from reading threads and forums that everyone is very cheery and happy answering wives and hubby's questions of relocation from out of state to buy real estate. But when it comes to people who are pet lovers, or single professionals (not going to bars and wanting 20 somethin night life) or renting -- mum's the word or feigned uninterested remarks.

Is it just the contributers on city-data in Dallas or is Dallas itself?

And if it is not Dallas itself -- where do more single professionals without kids congregate location wise -- over 30 crowd. West coast has many professional singles over 40 and no one bats an eyelash.
What are you talking about? I think you're being over sensitive.

For the last 40+ years, Turtle Creek has been catering to the older professional singles crowd. Other contenders would include downtown, Lakewood, Victory and the Park Cities. The Cedars is also growing an older crowd as well. Lower McKinney Avenue in Uptown is also a place for older singles.

Last edited by sherlockholmes2501; 05-26-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,208,000 times
I don't know how in the world you got that from either being in Dallas or reading these forums.

For the over-35 singles, check out the following:
-duplexes and rental townhomes/ condos in the Park Cities or Lakewood if you want a more serene, upscale environment
-Turtle Creek for high rise living (I'd guess that 2/3 of my high rise is populated by singles, most over the age of 35....but not all 99 year old grannies either!)
-North Oak Lawn for duplexes and smaller apartment complexes (think Melrose Place)
-Greenway Parks area- a rental in the Pavillion apartments or the Greenway Place condos is great for your demographic!
-Knox-Henderson. Knox Street side has tons of condos & townhomes for rent. The apartments cater to a younger demographic but not the condos & townhomes
-East Dallas- tons of rentals for people of all ages

The problem with your posts is that you're asking WAAAAY too general questions like: (all from your other threads)
"which areas and borders are safe, clean, which areas are fringe or ghetto?"
"prefer cleaner, safer, quieter communities w running/walking trails, pretty (I realize subjective) that is an easy commute (meaning more centrally located possibly) to suburbs or middle, upper middle class areas"

You DID get good responses. I don't know why you aren't researching the areas already suggested to you that DO fit your very general list of needs:
North - Lake Highlands
West - Lakewood
South - Forest Hills and Little Forest Hills
Kessler Park- 75208
Stevens Park- 75208
Winnetka Heights- 75208
Greenway Parks- 75209
Briarwood- 75209
Devonshire- 75209
Bluffview- 75209
University Park- 75225 & 75205
Highland Park- 75205
Knox Street area - 75205
Uptown- 75204
M Streets/ Lakewood Heights- 75206
Hollywood Heights/ Santa Monica- 75223
Lakewood / Ridgewood Park/ Caruth Terrace- 75214
Plano or Southlake

Don't take it so personally. Start investigating these areas on city data or by searching for rentals available in these areas. Once you find a short list of areas that meet your criteria, come back with more pointed questions like "I have to take Bikram yoga. Is there a studio near xyz neighborhood". Or "Where are the good dog parks in abc neighborhood" or "I drive an Audi and it always breaks down. WHere's the nearest dealership" or "abc bar looks cool. what kind of people hang out there" You get the picture. The more detailed info we have, the easier the questions are to answer.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you both for the listings and info -- esp. the zips.

turtlecreek I'm trying to filter. Can't get more specific in my questions until I get a little bit of assistance (but see below). It does seem that every time a hubby or wife talk about moving with their kids and buying a big home in a nice school district -- everyone is very excited and gives all sorts of information -- esp. if they make over 200K.

Dallas is a big city. Few people unless they are on vacation, or wealthy, or who have few responsibilities can just take off 2 weeks and look at all the nitty gritty side streets and so on to find safe neighborhoods. I actually did that -- crash coursed, 2 days driving all over in a city on the west coast to find I didn't get a good vibe or apts weren't that easy on the second take.

I will look into the areas you listed.

Bottom line -- I am looking for easy drive commute (20-40 min) access to multiple middle, upper middle class neighborhoods and families, and professional single and couples (they are my clients) -- I can't be too far N, S, E, W as that hurts my business since I drive a lot for work (I do consulting).

I want to filter areas for safety, trees, running paths, parks, and quiet -- NOT nightlife, bars, tons of foot traffic, people screaming and laughing at night having fun, loud neighbors and always having to pay to park anywhere. Also not a fan of strip malls and malls so wouldn't want to live near one or in the shopping district hub.

So Dallas, big city, treed, affordability -- seems like a nice option -- out of the box, not what I would have initially thought of. But if there is no room for single over 35 professionals bc they are rarity unless they are ready to buy a home or push a stroller -- or are assumed to live in a neighborhoods that aren't nice or fringe areas or assumed to be into barhopping -- which is the impression I got, I don't know what to do.

I've spoken to realtors (apts) but they also have properties they want to rent so...

I do not want to be in sketchy areas and even 'nice' sections can have their sketchy areas.
I prefer pristine pretty quite 'country' green areas but have to be near/in a city and high pop for business.

Areas to avoid -- mixed neighborhoods, fringe, car break ins, loud at night, litter on sidewalks, a block away from bars or ghetto will be VERY helpful.

Now that I have a list from which to filter. It would really be nice to have a list of places to avoid.

Again thanks for the input.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Can I get a nice one bedroom in the $750 range? And if so where? And if not, at what rent do I need to go to live nicely near parks, quiet, running trails, trees, safety, and more serence but still be in or near the city with access (drivewise) to downtown and suburbs (soccer moms).

I am coming from spending $1500 mo rents on very substandard 1 beds. Studios, run down, student section, no parking are $1250/$1300. I think rents have increased this past year.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM

-- "serenity" -- type too quickly.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM

827 posts, read 1,668,994 times
I live in a gated complex and they do have 1 bedroom places and do allow pets over a certain weight. Price I believe is under 700 [but don't quote me on it] zip is 75243. It is a very nice area. and the folks are pretty good. [we don't get too many calls for the Police]. Many older folks live here as well as some families so you do hve kids running around, BUT they are pretty good.

If it interestes you send me a pm and I'll pass on the info.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,419,269 times
I just can't think of anywhere in Dallas that fits your description. Maybe some rental in Highland Park or University Park. It would be an older apartment. There's the Katy hike and bike trail near there and I there are some small pretty parks in both places. It's mostly expensive single family homes, no bars. Southern Methodist University is there, so you'd not want to be too close to that.

Generally, if you look at a map of Dallas and find downtown Dallas, then look straight north of Dallas, straight up all the way into Collin County - that is where the most money is. It takes you right through Highland Park and University Park, straight up the Dallas North Tollway and Hwy 75. Then add the Lakewood area, too which is east of downtown Dallas. Collin County (Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco) also has upper middle class people. But within all of that there are pockets of yuck.

So generally, stay in that area. Here is a nice place on the edge of University Park that is newer. I think it's still rentals. I think they tried to convert to condos at one point, but then went back to rentals. The Caruth

If you are open to living in Collin County, it's safer, cleaner, has a bit more open space and there are a ton of high end apartment complexes - especially in West Plano. You could get near Arbor Hills Nature Preserve. There are some hike and bike trails, but most of them in Plano are just running under high tension wires - it's not anything pretty, it's just functional.

I don't know how you are going to avoid strip malls. We have them at every intersection.

Have you visited yet? Ever?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Not yet -- I was told Lakewood and M streets -- and I would love being next to white rock lake.
You are right -- what I like is hard to find unless you have more income.
I am taking it you can get nice one bedrooms in nice safe areas for $750 or do I need to bump up? I see townhomes and nice one bedrooms in lakewood but avoiding those 'pockets' is tough without knowing.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM

and around white rock lake and that east dallas was sketchy? Or am I getting confused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas