Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times

Advertisements

Doubt money and/or education necessarily proves one is either smart or a decent person

In my expce, some of worst personalities are found amongst the aspirational affluent of upper middle class/yuppie areas or pseudo-intellectuals of wannabe college towns or commie zones of towns that aspire to be Berkeley or SF-like

And some of lowest-key, most intellectually interesting guys are the many clever entrepreneurs and financiers who tend to populate capitalist areas like HP or PrestonHollow...everyone who matters in their competitive industries knows they have money and has a sense of their relative IQ (and integrity) by industry reputation or direct knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
In Mckinney, off of El Dorado and Country Club, there is a beautiful area with many large trees and a lake to walk around. It is a smaller area compared to Park Cities but it is very lovely.
The neighborhoods there are Hidden Forest, Village Creek, Kensington Estates, Provine and El Dorado. On the south side of El Dorado off of Country Club, there is a country club and several huge older customs on 1/2 to 1 acres that sit off the golf course. The more deeper you go down that way, you will find some really wonderful homes as well.
The homes you can find in Mckinney in this area will have the charm that you are desiring that you see in the Park Cities, they though are going to be on the newer side. My home was built in 96 and it was built in the trees. I have cedar elms that are 80 years old on my lot along with some soap berries and lots of greenery. I love trees and homes with old world charm, so I understand where you are coming from. That is why we bought over here, we too could not afford Highland Park Prices.
Agree with everything stargazer said. We just moved to Mckinney and was just commenting to a friend that this part of Mckinney looks a lot like Lake Highlands/ Lakewood(which are "cheaper" then Park Cities)...houses with a bit of character (though newer...they were designed with more diversity in styles than typical newer subdivisions), larger lots amidst loads of old trees, and hilly, curvy streets. It is beautiful.
We had always planned to move to Lake Highlands...because i just love the "feel" there, but for various reasons (mostly financial, but also to be closer to family/ friends) we decided to stay in the north burbs...however, I find the "look" of that part of Mckinney to be spot-on. Now, that being said, there are lots of other things, besides the look of the neighborhoods, that contribute to the overall feel of an area....(such as, walkability to stores/ restaurants, mom and pop shops, ethnicity/religious diversity, etc, etc) and those things are notably sup-par in the burbs compared to Dallas proper... it is out here, you just have to look a little harder for it.
If we could afford it, we would live in Lakewood first (I would by far choose that over Highland Park/ University Park), second Lake Highlands...but as far as the burbs go, I am VERY happy with Mckinney.
Anyway, just food for thought

(hehe...probably should change my screen name now...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Oh, also to add...you could get a GREAT house for that price range up here.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
FYI: In case some of you did not notice but this thread is THREE YEARS OLD! I'm sure the OP has moved on by now. Our friend "cksqualls" was going around the other day I guess bored and digging up very old threads.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM

opppsss! thanks mom...totally spaced and didn't even notice that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas