Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Born at St Paul, grew up in HP and UP. Lived in east Dallas before leaving town altogether. I moved to Austin because it reminded me of the Dallas I grew up with - before it became an overcrowded exurban monstrosity. Too many people, too much pavement, too much sprawl, too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:49 PM

175 posts, read 483,021 times
I liked the Dallas I grew up in back in the 70's and early 80's. But then again my father grew up here in the 30's and 40's...he really misses what it used to be like

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
DH and DSD were both born at Big Baylor. DGS was born in Mesquite.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Born at Baylor in East Dallas and still live 5-10 minutes from my birthplace.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Born in Dallas at the old East Dallas Hospital off of E. Grand (gone for years). Moved to Garland when I was four but I moved back to Dallas for several years after school when I was young and single. Since then have lived in Garland, Mesquite, and Rowlett.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
I was born at Dallas Methodist, lived in Red Oak until I was 8, and moved to Georgia. I lived there until a job opportunity brought me here in March. As far as new vs. old Dallas, I'm pretty content with the progress that's been made but I'm kind of surprised at what a craphole south Dallas has turned into. Like WTF happened to Redbird?! That was a booming town with a nice new mall when I left it.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM

506 posts, read 2,149,512 times
I was born at Baylor Hospital just like my dad and his sister. My grandmother, raised in Oak Cliff, was born here in 1906 but at St. Paul, I believe. We lived in Dallas until 1964 when we fled to the suburbs, along with many others, to avoid the DISD. At the time, forced busing was being discussed as a method to desegregate the schools, which they eventually implemented, and that's about the time many of the surrounding small towns (Richardson, Irving, Garland, etc.) exploded in growth. With two preschoolers, my parents weren't going to have anything to do with it. After going away to college, I moved back and lived in East Dallas for many years. We now live in SW Arlington near the lake.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:46 PM

124 posts, read 259,311 times
Bron at St. Paul in Dallas, raised in Dallas, Argyle and Carrollton. After getting married the wife in I lived in Far North Dallas, then I joined the Army and lived in Missouri, Arizona, New York, Louisiana, Germany, Hungary, Bosnia and Italy plus a few places I can't discuss. When I left the Army e lived in Farmers Branch briefly, then owned a home in Garland (shudder..I'll NEVER live in Garland again) and we have been in Denton for the last 3 years. I have traveled most of the other states and have visited most of the top 10 markets in the US.

I'm hard pressed to say if I prefer the Dallas of today or the Dallas of yester year. The transplant have definitely made an impact on Dallas; back in the 80's someone would ALWAYS let you in in traffic, you only hear car horns if there was immediate danger or if someone was getting your attention to say "Howdy" and eye contact was easy to make. We also had higher voter turnout because indigenous citizens are generally more involved than and vested in local elections than recent transplants. So I do miss those aspects of Dallas.

On the other hand we would have no Dallas Stars without the transplants and we would not be the 4th largest Metropolitan area in the US without transplants. Size and economic influence have much to do with many of features of DFW that we now enjoy and without transplants that would not be possible.

I live in Denton because in many ways it reminds me of the Dallas of days gone by, but I'm still close enough to catch a game, or go to the Arts District when ever the mood strikes me.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Things have not changed that much around Lakewood (we like it that way).

It should be noted the original St. Paul was in East Dallas approximately where Bryan Place (next to Exall Park on Live Oak) is today. That was a beautiful late 1800s building which was torn down just like the massive Ursuline Academy and Convent a couple of blocks east. The new St. Paul opened in the early 60s by Parkland.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Born at Saint Paul on the last day it rained before the infamous heat wave of 1980. Grew up in Preston Hollow, and after college and stuff, am a very proud resident of Oak Cliff. This is my first post ever on here after many great years of 'trolling.' Hi all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas