U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 AM

2,703 posts, read 249,391 times
You ever been north of DT Dallas? BIG ass prairie. Ever been to McKinney/Frisco? BIG ass prairie. western/southern Fort Worth? BIG ass prairie. Those forests you speak off are small sections in the city. You are always going to have your pockets of prairie (they are mostly along creeks, bayous, streams, etc.), but prairie surrounds those pockets. This place is dominated by prairie grass. You can tell when you are driving up I-45 from Houston even. The trees start going away north of Huntsville and around Ennis, there are only a few left.

I'm sorry, but this place does not have a lot of trees, SOME trees, but not a lot.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:03 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,007,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
You ever been north of DT Dallas? BIG ass prairie. Ever been to McKinney/Frisco? BIG ass prairie. western/southern Fort Worth? BIG ass prairie. Those forests you speak off are small sections in the city. You are always going to have your pockets of prairie (they are mostly along creeks, bayous, streams, etc.), but prairie surrounds those pockets. This place is dominated by prairie grass. You can tell when you are driving up I-45 from Houston even. The trees start going away north of Huntsville and around Ennis, there are only a few left.

I'm sorry, but this place does not have a lot of trees, SOME trees, but not a lot.
Then all I can do is take you back to previous posts that refute your claim..

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_2.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_17.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,353,242 times
What I meant when I said that Dallas didn't reall have any trees was that they don't really have very many large trees. When you think Dallas, you don't think green. You think green when you say Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Virginia, and even New York has some huge trees.

And no offense, but the trees in the post above look like big bushes in all honesty.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,089,446 times
Synopsis, the kid will never understand so I think it is time to stop wasting our time w/ him. We know the truth and by his own definition of "prarie" it shows that Dallas does not fall into the nothing but prarie catagory. You and I have both traveled more extensively in the Dallas metroplex area and across the state and country and know what is out there. We have to remember the only parts of the metorplex outside of his area of Arlington that he has seen are sitting in the back of mom & dad's car driving around the freeways "exploring" the area. And you know THAT does not give one a true picture of the area.

Sometimes it just comes time to shrug off the person and move on knowing that they have a false sense about something. In this case it is the fact that we know there are tons of areas of natural and native trees w/ rolling hills in and around the entire Dallas area.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,353,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Synopsis, the kid will never understand so I think it is time to stop wasting our time w/ him. We know the truth and by his own definition of "prarie" it shows that Dallas does not fall into the nothing but prarie catagory. You and I have both traveled more extensively in the Dallas metroplex area and across the state and country and know what is out there. We have to remember the only parts of the metorplex outside of his area of Arlington that he has seen are sitting in the back of mom & dad's car driving around the freeways "exploring" the area. And you know THAT does not give one a true picture of the area.

Sometimes it just comes time to shrug off the person and move on knowing that they have a false sense about something. In this case it is the fact that we know there are tons of areas of natural and native trees w/ rolling hills in and around the entire Dallas area.
I don't think that was necessary. Come on guys, we're taking this too seriously.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What I meant when I said that Dallas didn't reall have any trees was that they don't really have very many large trees. When you think Dallas, you don't think green. You think green when you say Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Virginia, and even New York has some huge trees.

And no offense, but the trees in the post above look like big bushes in all honesty.
But you have to admit that image is false and is usually held by people that have never been here. Same goes for the people that post negative about the entire state that have never been here. If the people w/ these false images HAVE been here to Dallas or somewhere else in the state is has usually been flying in to a large city and going straight to the downtown region then heading back out to the airport. Not a good representation of ANY part of the natural beauty of ANY city in the state. We could say the same things about some of their so called better cities: Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Kansas City, Nrw York, etc..... If you just look at nothing but the downtown areas you are NOT going to see an abundance of forests or large native trees. There is no downtown area of any large city that is heavily treed otherwise it would not be a downtown area.

So how tall does a tree have to be to be considered a "tree"? 50'? 60'? 100'?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I don't think that was necessary. Come on guys, we're taking this too seriously.
Neither was this:
"You ever been north of DT Dallas? BIG ass prairie. Ever been to McKinney/Frisco? BIG ass prairie. western/southern Fort Worth? BIG ass prairie. Those forests you speak off are small sections in the city. "

Not only is it out of line but it is totally baseless and false. I'm just saying that it is rather obvious that the person does NOT really know the area that well and can not make such baseless comments and not expect to told otherwise. After awhile it gets old and that is all I'm saying: nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 AM

11,879 posts, read 25,007,797 times
People obviously have their own opinions of any area, but to say big D is devoid of trees is actually the polar opposite of what the area actually is; good posts momof2.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Then all I can do is take you back to previous posts that refute your claim..

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_2.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_17.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_1.jpg (broken link)
I already said south Dallas. Damn. I said areas around the lakes southern Dallas and Cedar Hill/Ducanville, then around the Trinity River.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Synopsis, the kid will never understand so I think it is time to stop wasting our time w/ him. We know the truth and by his own definition of "prarie" it shows that Dallas does not fall into the nothing but prarie catagory. You and I have both traveled more extensively in the Dallas metroplex area and across the state and country and know what is out there.

I never said Dallas never had any trees. All this over a tree comment. Everyone knows there are small rolling hills around this area. You can't compare them to a city like Atlanta or Charlotte (except for the larger hills around Mountain Creek Lake), but for you Dallas people, they must feel big.

Quote:
We have to remember the only parts of the metorplex outside of his area of Arlington that he has seen are sitting in the back of mom & dad's car driving around the freeways "exploring" the area. And you know THAT does not give one a true picture of the area.
First, I am old enough to drive and have seen this area. When we would have half a days for TAKS test at school, my friends and I would ride around. We went up to through Coppell, Grapevine, no trees. I have been to Stonebriar Mall. You know what? That area is one big prairie. I really don't know how you CAN'T see that. Are you blind? Do I need to post a Texas geological map AGAIN to show you?!? Everyone knows that there are trees here, just not THAT many. Damn.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas