Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,127,017 times

Advertisements

Let's not rehash an old, worn our debate. Either address YBB26's question (http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tml#post801786) or the thread will be closed.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,011,493 times
Houston is not dominated by pine trees, they are only in certain areas which are more expensive.

A major difference between Dallas and Houston is that Dallas has very comprehensive zoning buffering businesses, apartments, townhomes and single family homes from each other. Dallas also has probably the most conservation and historic districts in the USA.

Houston has no zoning at all. Technically someone can build a convenience store next door to your home. It doesn't happen often, but it is possible.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,386,107 times
Most of the Houston area has pine trees. The far west/southwest/south sides are prairie.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,011,493 times
I don't remember any pine trees around the refineries and other areas to the southeast, either.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianprincess View Post
Hello Dallas, My family and I are considering to move to Texas with the next year or so. I would like to know the difference between Dallas vs. Houston and which one of those cities is a better location to move to. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Job Market:

First off, how is the job market in general?

2. Which city supports the Arts more? This includes visual arts, music and film

3. Which city has better opportunity for starting a business?

4. Which city is better where cost of living is concerned, especially home prices?

5. Which city has better weather?

I know both cities are hot, but which one is more manageable?

6. Which city has the worst crime?

7. Which city has the best entertainment and more things to do leisure wise?

8. Which city is popular with celebrities?

9. Which city has a more diverse population and diverse culture?

10. Which city has better school districts?
NubianPrincess, your questions are very subjective and very difficult to answer.

Also, what do you mean by "city"? I presume that you mean metropolitan area.

1. I would think the job market is very good in both metros.

2. I don't know how to measure support for the arts... both metros have plenty of art and cultural life. Dallas probably has a larger film production industry than Houston, but other than that, I see no substantial difference in zeal for art, other than the fact that DFW is more populous than metro Houston.

3. Starting a business? What kind?

4. Cost of living/home prices? About the same.

5. Better weather? In my opinion, Dallas. In your opinion, you tell me.

6 Worst crime? Both cities have a few dangerous neighborhoods, and the rest are reasonably safe. The FBI website says that there are some technical problems with measuring crime, however, that make it impossible to compare two municipalities, or 2 metro areas.

7. Best entertainment and more to do? It depends on whom you ask.

8. Which city is popular with celebrities? Austin.

9 Diverse population and culture? I don't know how a specific culture can be diverse, but both metros contain people from any and every country in the world, due to their expanding economies. I don't have any hard data for Houston, but the Dallas International website claims that 40% of the metro Dallas families are foreign-born, or the children of the foreign-born.

10. The only recent news is that Newsweek magazine ranked two Dallas highschools as the two best in the USA. But both metro Dallas and metro Houston will have school districts at every level of quality.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,636,755 times
On creative writing, visual arts, and theater, I would give the nod to Houston. Both cities have music scenes.

I'm not sure what you mean by popular with celebrities (for visiting or living?), but celebrities live in most of the major cities in Texas, including Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio.

Most of the rest of the above is pretty accurate.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,688,878 times
Dallas Rules

According to the latest issue of D Magazine (na, they are never biased, ) we have something BETTER than anyone else.

Dallas, Texas has The Nations #1 Nanotech Guy!!! That there is some braggin rights

It was a pretty cool article to read and how UTD is striving to spare no expense in building some of the top schools in the nation in some areas.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,046,124 times
The Dallas and Houston people are each going to consider their city the best in one category or another. But in order to form your own opinion, you can examine the media from both metros...

Dallas sources are

www.guidelive.com
Pegasus News | News and Events for Dallas - Fort Worth - Denton | pegasusnews.com
Dallas - News - dallasobserver.com

Here's a Houston source

Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't remember any pine trees around the refineries and other areas to the southeast, either.
I sure do. I-10 going east has a lot of pine trees, especially outside the Beltway. THe Decker Freeway (TX 330) also.

Here are some news for Houston:

Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF® (Powered by Invision Power Board)
Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
H Texas Online - Defining the Unique Houston Experience

Then, the best: Houston | Greater Houston Partnership

Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM

990 posts, read 2,292,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Most of the Houston area has pine trees. The far west/southwest/south sides are prairie.
In a word, No. Not even close to most. Not even half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas