U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,655,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
Are you a homesteader? Do you grow your own crops and raise your own beef. I doubt it. Homesteaders tend not to have "tree people" and "lawn guys". Illegal immigrants are used heavily in agrobiz to harvest crops and process animal flesh. If you eat, you pay indirectly for the illegals. There is just no way around it.

Now, if you happen to have an all American "organic farmer dude", who supplies you with all your veggies and beef, AND you never eat out, Then and only then can you call the rest of us "cop outs"
Most migrant farm workers are here legally.

To a degree you are right....there is no question that some of the things I buy have been labored over by illegals. The difference between you and me is that I understand the net, net, net of illegal labor is a massive negative to the economy. Therefore I try very hard not to support illegal labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Is your painter here legally though? If so I may have some work to throw his way.

I think anyone could kick my lawn guy's butt; he's pretty small. But you don't have to be He-Man to push a mower. He's good people. And my lawn and edging are lovely.
My painter is 100% legal. However, he is working on a hotel rebuild project in NY state and will not be back here til August or September.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I've cut sheep with my teeth - think about that for a second, worked in the oil patch. You have no idea.

He may not have any idea, but I do........both absolutely thankless, even if the second is usually well-paying for the backbreaking labor.
For sure. The sheep cutting paid zero wages as the sheep were ours. The oil patch paid really well.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 AM

621 posts, read 645,970 times
Well as far as the Illegal thing goes...It's simple and it's like this. If you knowingly hire an Illegal to do anything you are breaking the law, you are commiting a crime and you are no better than a criminal...It's the law. Why do people not understand this????

I am totally against using illegals, my housekeeper is a college girl born in McKinney, my lawn guy is legal work at TI and does lawns on the side. My mothers nurses are Legal the guys that did my fence after the last storms were off duty firemen all of them, not just the boss.............
It's easy to find legal people if you're not lazy....

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
Well as far as the Illegal thing goes...It's simple and it's like this. If you knowingly hire an Illegal to do anything you are breaking the law, you are commiting a crime and you are no better than a criminal...It's the law. Why do people not understand this????

I am totally against using illegals, my housekeeper is a college girl born in McKinney, my lawn guy is legal work at TI and does lawns on the side. My mothers nurses are Legal the guys that did my fence after the last storms were off duty firemen all of them, not just the boss.............
I agree with every word.

It's time to start busting business and get the word out to individuals that hiring illegals is:

A. illegal period
B. very bad for the economy
C. hurts the lower end of wage earners the most

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM

15,409 posts, read 13,214,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I agree with every word.

It's time to start busting business and get the word out to individuals that hiring illegals is:

A. illegal period
Agreed on all points. If you employ illegal labor, you're part of the problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 AM

6,557 posts, read 10,358,957 times
Quote:
Most migrant farm workers are here legally.
An article in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram says *80%* of migrant farm workers are illegal! The sad thing is that those jobs are literally back-breaking, pay a pittance, and are seasonal, so Americans do not want to do them. The H2B visa program is too cumbersome and slow. By the time a worker's visa would be approved, the crops would have rotted in the fields!

Quote:
To a degree you are right....there is no question that some of the things I buy have been labored over by illegals. The difference between you and me is that I understand the net, net, net of illegal labor is a massive negative to the economy. Therefore I try very hard not to support illegal labor.
I cannot support illegal labor. As an HR manager, if I knowingly hire an illegal at my company, I commit a felony crime punishable by a big fine and federal prison time. Personally, all of the people who work on/in my house (landscaping company, plumber, housekeeper, etc.) are all legally employed.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:41 AM

216 posts, read 457,358 times
Quote:
I agree with every word.

A. illegal period
Tell this to the hypocritical Republicans in Austin.

The current law being drafted makes it illegal for companies to hire illegal immigrants, but it has a loophole,....it allows homeowners to hire illegals.

Go figure

Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,358,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
The current law being drafted makes it illegal for companies to hire illegal immigrants, but it has a loophole,....it allows homeowners to hire illegals.
This law is for the homeowners' protection!! Would you want to be convicted of a felony if the guy you hire to mow your lawn happens to be an illegal alien? What about your elderly parents being convicted of a felony if the guy they hired is an illegal alien?

Most Americans have no idea what a valid Permanent Resident Card (aka "green card") or Employment Authorization Card looks like. As an employer, I have to keep up with these documents because it is my profession. But most average homeowners have no idea how to determine if someone's documents are valid or fake, and to self-educate yourself about these things is actually very cumbersome.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:53 PM

17,220 posts, read 13,235,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post

Thank you!

It's amazing how some out there try and rationalize hiring them. It's illegal yet they still do it. It makes you wonder how many other laws they ignore .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas