Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM

216 posts, read 343,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's just that those 1950's homes in the central Dallas neighborhoods don't have 4,000sf, a 5 car garage, a pool, a club house/ community features, media rooms, game rooms, bonus rooms, etc.....and most people choose the comforts of suburbia over the smaller house in the better location.
This is what we found too. We have a house in the 'sweet spot' - just at 3K, with all of the community trapping like pool, golf course, etc. And honestly? We tend to not use ALL of the house and we don't use any of the community stuff. We PUT in a pool to avoid the hassle at the community pool and we don't get to use it because we spend our 'free' time in traffic. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
In my opinion Lakewood is pretty much the crown jewel of the Dallas area. The only problem is it can be hard to get places from if you are not going downtown. Abrams is a pain to drive on, Mockingbird is no picnic, and other roads can be full of pedestrians, and I am often one of them, but with that, I would still live there over almost anywhere else in DFW.
I agree with this. The M Streets, Lake Highlands, and N. Oak Cliff are all good places in their own right, but Lakewood is the complete package when it comes to inner-Dallas living. Not as snooty as North Dallas or Highland Park, not as sketchy as Oak Cliff or parts of Lake Highlands, not as noisy and transient as the M Streets. I'm by no means a Dallas/inner-city homer as my posting history would indicate, there are a number of suburbs and other North Texas towns that I think offer as good or better quality of life or lifestyle than the city of Dallas as a whole, but Lakewood really is the cream of the crop. As BigDGeek said, if money were no object... (or if Lakewooder would let us live in one of his guestrooms. )

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
Oh wow! Ok that is totally cool. I have the little in dance, swimming and a summer 'acting' class (1 week) - so I am definitely interested in extracurriculars. But rowing is really COOL! Look like great kids there in that pic.

We are especially strong in peforming arts - Lakewood Elementary won state contest for choir, J.L. Long Middle School recently won a regional competition at Sandy Lake and both Long and Woodrow are known for their musicals and plays - Woodrow has presented an annual musical since 1957-58 and the last one, "Grease", was nomintated for ten awards in competition with other schools. In fact the high school has been redesigned into four academies, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship, International Baccalaureate (Long will offer IB MYP - is now a candidate school) and Performing Arts. A new wing is being added mainly for performing arts and science: Advocate video: Woodrow Wilson High School expansion | Advocate Magazine

A young alum owns Studio B Welcome where a lot of kids take dance etc...

Our swim teams always finish high - girls was first in city and boys were second: http://eastdallastimes.com/2011/01/2...ts-love-water/

Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM

I'm SOLD! Performing Arts heavy - WOOT!

NOW - to get the Frisco house presentable and ready to be sold! LOL

Know anyone interested in living in Frisco? *winks*

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

And the swim coach is also a fantastic teacher:

Woodrow science teacher wins $10,000 education award | Advocate Magazine

He will be teaching IB Biology in the fall.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Ok - so what is the IB program? It looks very prestigious but I am not sure what it is? I see the awarding was done in November - but they don't really specify what it is. When I went to the school website that 'tab' was empty.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
I'm SOLD! Performing Arts heavy - WOOT!

NOW - to get the Frisco house presentable and ready to be sold! LOL

Know anyone interested in living in Frisco? *winks*
Someone who just relocated to TX in my office is under contract in Frisco for 70% LESS THAN the owners paid in 2004. The home was brand new in 2004.

Hope it works out better for you!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Try these:
IBO WEBSITE
PRE-IB AND IB COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

and: International Baccalaureate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Woodrow will still offer 22 AP and 8 dual-credit classes if you are not interested in IB. IB students earn 24 hours of college credit in Texas and up to 30 in some universities. If a student also takes AP tests they may earn even more credits.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Someone who just relocated to TX in my office is under contract in Frisco for 70% LESS THAN the owners paid in 2004. The home was brand new in 2004.
Me too. Luckily we bought it right before the 'boom', did lots of updates, great cul-de-sac, big yard and a pool. I'm not naive enough to think we will recoup all of the updates cost but I a have a number in mind that I 'hope' is realistic.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,021 times
Is San Leandro Dr (Forest Hills subdivision) considered part of Lakewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas