Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

I will be going to downtown Dallas actually this weekend. I am sure I will be only done late at night after 1 am or even 3 am. I going to try to park at cheap $5 dollar lot couple of blocks away. I wondering how safe is to be walking around down town Dallas. Especially in the middle of night, like between 1 am - 5 am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
It honestly depends on where you're going. If you're truly going downtown (south of Woodall Rogers), you're probably fine walking a block or two in the arts district or near the Main Street entertainment strip (the Joule, Neiman's, Iron Cactus, etc). If it's in the southern section of downtown (south of Commerce or Jackson), I would valet or pay more to park closer. It does get sketchy and more desolate in the southen part of downtown. And also on the west side near the greyhound station / El Centro.

If you're using "downtown" as a broad term and actually mean uptown, Deep Ellum, Victory Park, etc- you're fine waking a few blocks late night. Just try not to be so drunk you can't be alert as something bad *can* always happen, especially crimes of opportunity.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
It honestly depends on where you're going. If you're truly going downtown (south of Woodall Rogers), you're probably fine walking a block or two in the arts district or near the Main Street entertainment strip (the Joule, Neiman's, Iron Cactus, etc). If it's in the southern section of downtown (south of Commerce or Jackson), I would valet or pay more to park closer. It does get sketchy and more desolate in the southen part of downtown. And also on the west side near the greyhound station / El Centro.

If you're using "downtown" as a broad term and actually mean uptown, Deep Ellum, Victory Park, etc- you're fine waking a few blocks late night. Just try not to be so drunk you can't be alert as something bad *can* always happen, especially crimes of opportunity.
I am specifically wanting to know about the City Center District in Downtown Dallas. I am going to a big event at the Sheraton at Live Oak and Olive.

I can't valet since I am sure they will run out of parking spaces, just like last year. In fact, their parking Garage also get filled up since the hotels are fully booked from what I have heard. So I have to park elsewhere off site.

Yes, last year I did have to walk back to my car at 1 am or 2 am. It seemed quite empty except a few other people walking back to other parking lots. Sort felt like you could easily get robbed or something since there weren't any police or many people around. It always seemed pretty creepy late night in downtown Dallas.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I am specifically wanting to know about the City Center District in Downtown Dallas. I am going to a big event at the Sheraton at Live Oak and Olive.

I can't valet since I am sure they will run out of parking spaces, just like last year. In fact, their parking Garage also get filled up since the hotels are fully booked from what I have heard. So I have to park elsewhere off site.

Yes, last year I did have to walk back to my car at 1 am or 2 am. It seemed quite empty except a few other people walking back to other parking lots. Sort felt like you could easily get robbed or something since there weren't any police or many people around. It always seemed pretty creepy late night in downtown Dallas.
If you know it gets full, why don't you just get there earlier to ensure a closer space or a valet space? I would rather hang out and read a book for a while than feel unsecure walking to my car late at night. Any chance to take a friend? Two is usually safer than one.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Since you are probably going to A-Kon - park in the lot behind the Sheraton off Pearl. There are also lots straight up Olive on the other side of the Dart tracks from the Sheraton (these lots would be preferable).

I've had to walk around late at night picking up my son from A-Kon. I prefer to park and walk in...although it seems desolate, I've never had an issue with anyone...and that's with me pushing my younger son in a baby stroller.

Aren't you going to be carrying a giant oversized sword anyway?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I would either get there earlier to garage park or make sure you walk back to a remote lot with other people.

The chance of something happening (mugging or worse) is small, but a posibility from 1-5am. Are you so cheap/lazy as to not get there earlier or pay $5-10 more to not have to roll the dice with your safety?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
I'm not sure any place is completely safe to walk around in from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. So it is not as much of the area as it is the time of day. That is a dangerous time to be walking about. As far as place is concerned, I think you'll be relatively safe over there -- certainly better than around the homeless center in the southern part of downtown. Leave with a group of people if you're concerned about safety.

If you go alone, just bring Thor's hammer with you and you'll be fine. I saw "people" with all sorts of "weapons" going into the Sheraton this morning.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post

If you go alone, just bring Thor's hammer with you and you'll be fine. I saw "people" with all sorts of "weapons" going into the Sheraton this morning.
I go down there and just walk around. The costumes are AMAZING!!! It's free to enter and cruise through the lobbies.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM

101 posts, read 226,613 times
I've been to the Sheraton many times, but I've never left after 11 pm. Also I don't think any public car park is safe that late at night. If you really can't valet, I would suggest to avoid any area east of Pearl st, south of Live Oak, west of Akard st.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM

330 posts, read 599,050 times
It's texas, get a gun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas