U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM

210 posts, read 291,331 times

Advertisements

I'm asking so specifically as I have found some really desirable houses in both areas - but I haven't heard great things about the Elementary Schools (Lee and Lipscomb).

Any thoughts on those schools? We love the Lakewood/Jackson areas too - but the houses tend to skew a little more out of our budget/wants in those areas. My guess is because the schools are better and less traffic.

I would just hate to carve out some pretty big areas due to the schools being less desirable. But if the schools are definite stay away areas - that will impact our decision.

Thanks in again! You guys have been so helpful so far!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM

12,458 posts, read 24,182,098 times
Some regular posters are having great experiences with Lipscomb- pepper131 is one of them and she has an older child at a DISD magnet high school. The scores & rankings are not as good as Lakewood and Jackson, but if you do school visits and talk to parents, teachers, and the principals and piece together what you think of the school.

I know there are less kids at Lee than Jackson so you may find less kids in those neighborhoods especially since those homes are more single professional priced than family priced.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks!! I look at the ratings and they are a bit dismal but I know that things are not always what they seem 'on paper'

Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,716,820 times
We are having a good experience at Lipscomb - the school is changing. More and more neighborhood families are choosing their neighborhood school over privates - they are all staying...nobody exiting as far as I know.

I wouldn't discount Lee. From what I understand, the classroom size is smaller - which is great!! Lakewood and Stonewall both have a lot of students - although great schools.

Send me a private message if you have specific questions. Maybe you can meet some of the parents.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,152,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
I'm asking so specifically as I have found some really desirable houses in both areas - but I haven't heard great things about the Elementary Schools (Lee and Lipscomb).
If you haven't hear great thing about Lipscomb you haven't been talking to Lipscomb parents.

Lipscomb is a great school. For a while it was, in fact, the best ranked school of the Woodrow feeder. Exemplary while Lakewood was recognized, now the rankings have flipped, largely due to Lipscomb working out the kinks of having just added fourth and fifth grade. Those ratings have never mattered much to me, as I am concerned more with my son's education than overall performance on a single standardized test.

It is a true neighborhood school pulling only from the Junius Heights, Munger place, and Swiss Avenue neighborhoods - so only a few blocks in each direction. It has great community support, and the families and kids are a tight knit bunch. Many of us hang out after school most days for 30 minutes up to 90 minutes weather depending so the kids can play together on the playground.
We have a full time music and a full time art teacher - something many school lack - an excellent TAG teacher, a garden the kids, plant, maintain, and use as an educational resource, and right now some great summer programs, an enrichment program, and a Spanish Language Immersion program in which English speaking kids spend three hours a day in a 100% Spanish speaking environment in order to learn Spanish the way young minds do best, through use and context.

Visit the schools you are considering and talk to parents. We did research, but other than finding out if the school is a real dog, you can't learn much without going. We went to visit Lakewood for instance and had a TERRIBLE experience. I have talked to many other parents and found our experience is - unfortunately - nothing unusual anymore. I gather our experience there would have been unthinkable a decade ago. We were flatly told by a group of parents that we would not be welcome to be involved if we didn't have the means to support the school financially. We went to Lipscomb, and were amazed by the staff, and the parents. It was so obviously both a great school, and right for us. Both those things matter, and you won't know till you talk to some parents, or tour the schools.
Just like Pepper (Who I know well, Her son and mine are good friends) if you have questions, or just want a Dad's perspective as well as a Mom's, feel free to Direct Message me.
Good luck

Old 06-12-2011, 07:05 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,296,183 times
I have heard excellent things about Lipscomb. One of my friends lives in that zone and the playgroups for little ones are amazing. With that much parental interaction before the kids are even in school, you know it will be a supportive group at school time.

I have two friends with kids at Lee. One is there for the special needs program. It is excellent for her son with CP. The other friend has one daughter there while waiting to be accepted at a magnet school. I think it is likely a good school, but much smaller than Lipscomb (and Stonewall & Lakewood) but good teacher/student ratios. Just from driving by, they don't seem to have the same things as the other two (gardens, etc) Maybe I am wrong.

I would try to tour both if you could. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,296,183 times
Quote:
We were flatly told by a group of parents that we would not be welcome to be involved if we didn't have the means to support the school financially.
You know, I have heard this A LOT from my neighbors recently, too. (I live in the Lakewood attendance zone). That is really unfortunate. I hope a handful of parents don't ruin what Lakewood has.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,152,885 times
I get the feeling Lee is probably one good neighborhood push from being where Lipscomb is. There was a real movement here to send kids to Lipscomb. It really started with kids the year my son went to Kindergarten, but got organized a few years before that, I just got lucky enough to move here the year the parents who formed that movement finally had their kids hit kindergarten age. I think a similar push of involved parents working with the principal at Lee to unite the neighborhood behind their neighborhood elementary would get the job done there.
That is not to run down Lee which has some of their own things going for them - small class size for one.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Oh all of this is making me sooo happy! Thanks you guys! As I said - the rankings are only part of the story. -=) Going looking today!!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM

589 posts, read 864,728 times
Default Lakewood Elementary

That's awful to hear about Lakewood Elem! (Glad to hear about Lipscomb though.)

The three most recent reviews on GreatSchools are also all negative.
Parent Reviews of Lakewood Elementary School - Dallas, Texas - TX

I wonder if any current parents there have had better experiences (especially those who don't have the means to support the school financially).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
We went to visit Lakewood for instance and had a TERRIBLE experience. I have talked to many other parents and found our experience is - unfortunately - nothing unusual anymore. I gather our experience there would have been unthinkable a decade ago. We were flatly told by a group of parents that we would not be welcome to be involved if we didn't have the means to support the school financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
You know, I have heard this A LOT from my neighbors recently, too. (I live in the Lakewood attendance zone). That is really unfortunate. I hope a handful of parents don't ruin what Lakewood has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas