U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,410 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Sunnyvale, Tx. I understand they have developed some masterplanned communities and have opened a new middle school and a new high school. I would really appreciate any feedback regarding those communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM

250 posts, read 466,422 times
Sunnyvale is an awesome little town, with lots of big trees and a country feel to it. Its full of primarily upper middle class homes ($250k to $750k?), and it's right off Highway 80 and near where the future George Bush Highway / 190 will come down...that will be on the undeveloped eastern side of Sunnyvale near Lawson Road and Lake Ray Hubbard...still far away enough from the current developed areas. That makes commuting to work easy, and it'll be even easier in the future.

I view it as the Southlake, Texas to the east ... just not as big. I would also say Sunnyvale is probably where the rich people in Mesquite moved to in the 1990s. LOL! Comparing the two...it has far better schools, far less poverty and far nicer homes.

Sunnyvale has continued to develop well into the 2000s and now and has a diverse community of professionals, doctors, lawyers, executives, you name it living there.

There isn't much to it beyond that. There is little shopping or things to do, per se, in Sunnyvale, as its primarily a residential community.

However Mesquite / Garland / Rockwall all offer a lot of shopping. And with the lake nearby that offers a ton of amenities if you like boating / fishing / etc.

Drive over there and look at Stone Canyon, The Falls, Stoney Creek and a few other neighborhoods. You might like what you see. Good luck!

Here's the city website:
Town of Sunnyvale, TX - Official Website

This is the history of Sunnyvale:
SUNNYVALE, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanagain View Post
Can anyone tell me about Sunnyvale, Tx. I understand they have developed some masterplanned communities and have opened a new middle school and a new high school. I would really appreciate any feedback regarding those communities.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM

11,917 posts, read 22,185,176 times
Great schools with great new facilites.

Nice place to live for someone who likes suburbia, yet wants bigger lots and more "elbow room" than the Collin County suburbs offer.

Fairly easy commute into Dallas.

Super close to Lake Ray Hubbard for those who love water sports, boating, etc.

We have friends who live out there and love it. Both work in/near downtown Dallas.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,458,507 times
Agree with both above, but you might want to google Sunnyvale and 'inclusive housing'...not sure if that court case was resolved or not...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,193 times
I live in Sunnyvale and agree with the comments so far. I love it!

While Sunnyvale has all exemplary schools like Southlake and Highland Park, it is much smaller, more economically and ethnically diverse, and in my opinion, much more "laid-back". There is an opportunity for all students to be involved and successful in many extracurricular activities (unlike larger schools, where a very small percentage get to play). Our first senior class just graduated, and a new elementary school is being built to replace the current aging one (to be completed fall 2012). Visit Sunnyvale ISD to learn more about what has been happening in the school district.

The newer subdivisions were mentioned by others (Stoney Creek, Stone Canyon, The Falls), but there are also older, less expensive subdivisions. There is also a luxury estate development called St. James. What I like about Sunnyvale is the country atmosphere less than 30 min from Dallas. There are properties with acreage for you to have horses, too (which is what we did).

The court case mentioned is finally nearing resolution, there is a proposed multi-family development that meets the court order.

There is a new hospital--Texas Regional Medical Center at Sunnyvale, and a few restaurants just opened this year: Guilianna's (a little Italian restaurant, Bull's Pen Cafe (steak/chicken-fried chicken/etc), Vincent's (southern home-cooking). We also have our Mexican restaurant Tino's and Subway, then any chain you might want in Mesquite next door. It is growing quickly, and things are changing all the time. It's an exciting time to be living here!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKR View Post
I live in Sunnyvale and agree with the comments so far. I love it!

While Sunnyvale has all exemplary schools like Southlake and Highland Park, it is much smaller, more economically and ethnically diverse, and in my opinion, much more "laid-back". There is an opportunity for all students to be involved and successful in many extracurricular activities (unlike larger schools, where a very small percentage get to play). Our first senior class just graduated, and a new elementary school is being built to replace the current aging one (to be completed fall 2012). Visit Sunnyvale ISD to learn more about what has been happening in the school district.

The newer subdivisions were mentioned by others (Stoney Creek, Stone Canyon, The Falls), but there are also older, less expensive subdivisions. There is also a luxury estate development called St. James. What I like about Sunnyvale is the country atmosphere less than 30 min from Dallas. There are properties with acreage for you to have horses, too (which is what we did).

The court case mentioned is finally nearing resolution, there is a proposed multi-family development that meets the court order.

There is a new hospital--Texas Regional Medical Center at Sunnyvale, and a few restaurants just opened this year: Guilianna's (a little Italian restaurant, Bull's Pen Cafe (steak/chicken-fried chicken/etc), Vincent's (southern home-cooking). We also have our Mexican restaurant Tino's and Subway, then any chain you might want in Mesquite next door. It is growing quickly, and things are changing all the time. It's an exciting time to be living here!

wouldnt the mf housing be a negative? I could be wrong but I thought ICP was trying to force low cost housing on Sunnyvale, and we all know the problems that come along with that...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 AM

4,365 posts, read 11,419,605 times
I would described Sunnyvale as a upscale small city surrounded by blue collar cities. It has more of country laid back feeling but is minutes from Dallas. You will get a large lot and plenty of breathing room. The schools are fairly small but excellent and these things want change anytime soon. I find the people there very laid back and there is no competition to keep up with the neighbors. If your into gated communites, golf courses and upscale shopping you want like Sunnyvale. If your in to wide open spaces and a very laid back lifestyle you will like Sunnyvale. You will see alot more Suburbans than you will luxury cars in Sunnyvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas